PDA

View Full Version : I spoke to SNK today..

geekabilly
02-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Well i had to find out for myself about all this new system stuff..so i gave SNK USA a ring.. asked some questions and this is what i found out..

1. No more MVS is planned for right now..
2. The atomiswave is the new system
3. The new games that are in the works for the atomiswave are KOF 04, New SS, Metal slug 6,...and a new SVC!!!!!! That is what i was told that was one of the titles going to Atomiswave..
4. And the 1st game that will come out will be KOF 2004...at it will be out in May!!! guess they have been working on this all along..thats very soon...

Don't bash... don't question... this is all 100% i asked SNK myself..

I can't wait to see what will happen soon..:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

NeoLord
02-20-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm speechless....

Gamefan
02-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Very interesting. I will just sit back , buy more AES games and see what unfolds.

GAMEFAN

samuraiX
02-20-2004, 10:50 PM
thus it has been predicted and thus it has been told. i'll miss the MVS and have high hopes of seeing a few more games released this year. :crying:

TheDjinn
02-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Maybe SNKP will make for both systems. Like geekabilly said, no more MVS is planned for right now. We'll just have to wait and see.

EMAGDNIM
Quick Q...how much more is the atomiswave hardware compaired to the MVS format???

ThePunisher
I'm going to miss the low-res beauty of mvs.:crying:

kobylka68
02-20-2004, 10:56 PM
hmm..interesting how about they release something really original. New system so why not a brand new game.

galfordo
02-20-2004, 10:58 PM
No woman has ever made me cry like this ..... :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:.

Oh well, maybe I can buy a few NGH carts I've had my eye on without fear of 4 new ones being released in the next few months - causing me to sell myself to fat older women.

SNKJorge
02-20-2004, 11:02 PM
I have a feeling the move to the Atomiswave will be the
final nail in the coffin.

Originally posted by geekabilly
Well i had to find out for myself about all this new system stuff..so i gave SNK USA a ring.. asked some questions and this is what i found out..

3. The new games that are in the works for the atomiswave are KOF 04, New SS, Metal slug 6,...and a new SVC!!!!!! That is what i was told that was one of the titles going to Atomiswave..
4. And the 1st game that will come out will be KOF 2004...at it will be out in May!!! guess they have been working on this all along..thats very soon...

I can't wait to see what will happen soon..:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

LWK
02-20-2004, 11:03 PM
What happened to MOTW 2 on MVS?

ResO
02-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Haha, Ben Herman asked me to not spill the beans........Obviously he didn't make the same request of yourself. He made mention of the lack of MVS support, but he also mentioned that he wouldn't leave AES owners out in the cold.....Well, whatever that means. Anyway, I believe it was confirmed that SNK *IS* indeed developing the atomiswave games, not sammy themselves (*whew!*)

galfordo
02-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by EMAGDNIM
Quick Q...how much more is the atomiswave hardware compaired to the MVS format???

This should give you a rough idea:

http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system.html

Electroman
02-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Well well well... isn't that interesting.

Shall we have a funeral for the neo? :crying:

SouthtownKid
02-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Keeping in mind that at the loke test in December, SKN USA said the rumor of Sammy/Playmore was 100% false, not to mention they hinted KOF '03 might not make it to AES. Then there was their whole advertizing Eiji as being in the PS2 KOF port. If I hear one thing from SNK USA and the opposite from Trieu, I hate to say it, but...

On the other hand, if the MOTW2 that's supposed to be finished doesn't materialize, I guess they'll both be equally unreliable for news (unless it's revealed to have been rejected by Sammy or something).

Voz
02-20-2004, 11:17 PM
As much as I would love it a KOF in high rez, right now considering that they were very busy this year ( SVC, KOF, MS and SS in such a short period of time ) I can't seem to believe that they were already working on the atomiswave version, so right now my bet is:
1) they will release an non story KOF version ( like a dream match, likewise 98 ) with almost all the characters from KOF with older sprites or even the 2004 but with older sprites too
2) Sammy is the one making the 2004. SNK may be helping them but Sammy is the one behind it the development
3) The worst of all: they are resizing it the older sprites and will use some 2D effects and anti-aliasing for the atomiswave version.
Please don't :very_ang:

It's a short period of time guys, that's nooo way they could be making all the new hi rez sprites while making the games released this past year.

Hecker
02-20-2004, 11:20 PM
meh
the magic was gone anyways :annoyed:

Sundance
02-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Umm....so about the no more mvs thing...does that mean we won't see SVC on MVS. Or does that apply only to new games?:spock:

geekabilly
02-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Dude SVC has been off the MVS list for some time now...:spock:

phyrexiadamned
02-20-2004, 11:40 PM
*plays taps quietly on trumpet*

mosaic
02-20-2004, 11:48 PM
From my own past experience, I would advise against phoning up SNK NeoGeo USA for confirmation of up-to-the-minute breaking news... You absolutely have to contact SNK Playmore in Japan in order to get the factual details. SNK Playmore can take weeks just to fill in their US execs of what's going on within the company... no joke. The folks in the US branches are devoted and wonderful people, but Japan keeps them out of the loop like the loop is special and made of dilithium.

SNKJorge
02-20-2004, 11:51 PM
So the US folks are not legends?

Originally posted by mosaic
From my own past experience, I would advise against phoning up SNK NeoGeo USA for confirmation of up-to-the-minute breaking news... You absolutely have to contact SNK Playmore in Japan in order to get the factual details. SNK Playmore can take weeks just to fill in their US execs of what's going on within the company... no joke. The folks in the US branches are devoted and wonderful people, but Japan keeps them out of the loop like the loop is special and made of dilithium.

mosaic
02-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Jesus, let it go...

geekabilly
02-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Well in my talks with them they asked how i found out info on the system change..I said online and message boards... They then asked when did you find this out... I said about 48 hr. ago, they then said that makes sence...About 48 hr. ago SNK spilled the beans at the Game show in Japan.. So im my eyes this is the real deal.. But we still have to wait and see what SNK will post next week on the site..and if KOF 2004 shows its head in May*...:D

Moose
02-20-2004, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by geekabilly
[B]Well i had to find out for myself about all this new system stuff..so i gave SNK USA a ring.. asked some questions and this is what i found out..

I can't wait to see what will happen

FIRST OFF.....

Key Word folks, right now...
And I guess thats it.

geekabilly
02-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Very true they did say "For right now"....:glee:

dragonwillow
02-21-2004, 12:17 AM
ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!!
Sheesh.

MVS is a good system and all. But hell, it *wasn't* going to last, and now is a damned good time for change.

And KOF04 in MAY?
None of you fuckers can complain about late KOF releases now :P

MistressDragon
02-21-2004, 12:18 AM
no more mvs planned? That's too bad..I thought there was some in the works. KOF 2004 in may for the atomiswave...sheeeit my friend. Looks like a good time just waiting. Thanks for taking the time to call them up and get the facts straight. You're a champ.

beelzebubble
02-21-2004, 12:21 AM
i suppose may might be plausible with all the quiet at the moment.. on the other hand if it were may that is quite a slew of games in the last 6 months...

dragonwillow
02-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Didn't another member post that KOF2k4 was sent in to Sammy, and rejected cuz it was too graphically similar to 2k3?

Nesagwa
02-21-2004, 12:33 AM
If they do, maybe MVS prices will drop?

Sasuke
02-21-2004, 12:48 AM
What about Last Blade 3... :(

geekabilly
02-21-2004, 12:50 AM
No word, I was thinking the same. Might be in wave 2 or titles like MOTW 2??..:eye: :eye:

Blue Steel
02-21-2004, 01:13 AM
This is the best thing for SNK, some of you don't want to believe/accept this, but the MVS is dead. As much as I don't want that to be, it is. If they continue to make games for MVS it will perplex my mind since bootleggers run rampant in this day and age, and 3d graphics seem to be the rage. Let me tell you this, though, folks 2d is coming back, and it's coming back hardcore. This 3d shit is retarded. The graphics have blown since virtua fighter and they still blow to this day. 2d games are where the fun is at. What I'm trying to say is, SNK knows what they're doing, why don't we give them our support instead of saying, "I'm gonna wait and see what happens", when we know damn well that the games released are going to be INSANE! Just you wait, fuckers.:shame:

The Future Is Now

ShyningFade
02-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by SnairDogg
This is the best thing for SNK, some of you don't want to believe/accept this, but the MVS is dead. As much as I don't want that to be, it is. If they continue to make games for MVS it will perplex my mind since bootleggers run rampant in this day and age, and 3d graphics seem to be the rage. Let me tell you this, though, folks 2d is coming back, and it's coming back hardcore. This 3d shit is retarded. The graphics have blown since virtua fighter and they still blow to this day. 2d games are where the fun is at. What I'm trying to say is, SNK knows what they're doing, why don't we give them our support instead of saying, "I'm gonna wait and see what happens", when we know damn well that the games released are going to be INSANE! Just you wait, fuckers.:shame:

The Future Is Now

Couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the "This 3d shit is retarded." line. :D

Kiel
02-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by ShyningFade
Couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the "This 3d shit is retarded." line. :D

Same here man.;)

Spike23
02-21-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by xtoo_short20x
I have a feeling the move to the Atomiswave will be the
final nail in the coffin.

ah, admit it.......you'll be all over the Atomiswave's nuts once those games come out and you know it.

why you ask? because you jumped all over Neo Geo's nuts in the same manner.

i want a change just to see how many fanboys truly exist. ;) (hell, i'll admit to being one once i get an Atomiswave........in about 2 years).

Kid Aphex
02-21-2004, 01:56 AM
Well, there's no way I'll waste money buying a shitty atomiswave arcade setup. Good news? Bad ass games and bad ass ports.

Can't wait; neo will always be around for laughs and good times.

Bad Mofo
02-21-2004, 04:31 AM
Did anyone notice that the maximum amount of memory of an Atomiswave cart is only 128MB, so 1024Mbits? That is not that much over Neo Geo. High res graphics can be done in games like Guilty Gear, with a limited amount of characters. However, in games like KOF, with 20 characters or more this could become a problem...

I am no expert, but will this mean that we will see a new style of graphics, like The Rumble Fish?

Elaborate...

Fygee
02-21-2004, 05:03 AM
Rumble Fish was an experiment more than anything, and its not exactly getting hot reviews so I doubt we'll be seeing games in that style any time soon by SNKP.

As for the Atomiswave cart memory limitation, if that's true, I'm sure they'll find a way to break that easily, just like they did with the Neo-Geo's various space limits. I highly doubt they would move to a new system that would bottleneck them in space again.

Curt
02-21-2004, 05:50 AM
I haven't broken the news to my AES, I'm not sure she could take it... she's a tough old gal

Kristian Meller
02-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by EMAGDNIM

Atomiswave is basically a Dreamcast. If they wanted they could make the DC the next AES.

Kristian Meller
02-21-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Spike
Same here man.;)

I think you three are the retarded ones :shame:

2D is right for some games. Like 2D fighters and Metal Slug, but would you want Final Fantasy and everything else that's in 3D that works, to go back to being in 2D? That's nonsense. :loco:

rugal2000
02-21-2004, 06:53 AM
that kid in the sig is bullshit. Its so choregraphed, her knees dont even touch the ground, career in the WWE i think.

the_colonel
02-21-2004, 07:03 AM
I thought snkp won the court case of about 50 million dollars or something like that. Surely they can make the odd game or 2 every few years to keep the mvs & aes going, 50 mill is alot of money to just throw all on the atomiswave.

Besides, i thought the AW could only handal about a gig in storage, surely the aes an mvs can do more megs if they wanted it too, it just costs more money for more megs right! right guys!

Fygee
02-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kristian Meller
Atomiswave is basically a Dreamcast. If they wanted they could make the DC the next AES.

Atomiswave has more memory and a few other tweaks that the DC doesn't have, so chances are most AW games would have to be dumbed down a bit to run on a DC.

Blue Steel
02-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Kristian Meller
I think you three are the retarded ones :shame:

2D is right for some games. Like 2D fighters and Metal Slug, but would you want Final Fantasy and everything else that's in 3D that works, to go back to being in 2D? That's nonsense. :loco:

I was referring to 3d fighters, rpg's I have no problem with being done in 3d. I wasn't specific, but I thought it would have just been understood.

DevilRedeemed
02-21-2004, 11:32 AM
What pisses me off about Mr.Playmore is that he never comes foward to the fans and tells them what the deal is. Its always rumours and confirmations through third parties and never from the source what the fuck is up with that?

There's no outpout explaining to fans the situation at hand.

Anyway, this thing that's happening is just a sign of the times. The arcades have seen their days, I don't see why Sammy doesn't skip producing for arcades and goes directly for the next gen market.

NeoLord
02-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by DevilRedeemed
I don't see why Sammy doesn't skip producing for arcades and goes directly for the next gen market.

Sammy is desperately trying to be the next Capcom. They're buying out companies like SNK so they can find their 'Street Fighter 2' and revitalize the Arcade industry. It's a valiant attempt I must say, but will the mainstream embrace something like KOF when they know absolutely nothing about it? Hell, KOF has a history, so unless SNK-P starts from scratch by completely revamping the story and reintroducing the characters, they're going to be releasing games to a dumbfounded public that will hardly understand the series, the characters, and the entire premise behind the SNK universe.

In some ways they're starting over from scratch, and in actuality that could be just as risky as supporting a 13-year-old game system with out-dated 16-bit graphics. Hello SNK, welcome back to square one --I really hope you made the right decision.