Metal Slug 5 1st Impressions

whit

New Challenger
This game just plain rock! rocks! rock! I don't know how anyone could naysay this game. It is super sweet, much better than MS4 ( granted I don't hate 4 like some of you ). The thing I didn't like about MS4 was the stages where you didn't move from the screen and they just kept throwing enemies at you. MS5 is now just below MS3 and MSX for me. Buy MS5 now! The new Slug Gunner is cool; The way the emptied shells fall out the back of it is really cool. The new animations in the exposions are cool. The new enemies are very cool as well. I love this game.

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Great! :)
Thanks for the first impressions. :cool:

Im still deciding whether to get metal slug 5 or kof 2003 though.
hard descision...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
First impressions? This game was out months ago on MVS, and more importantly teh romz ;)

whit

New Challenger
Yeah! Well some of us have to wait for the AES version. So its my frist impression and I imagine there are quite a number of us who waited for the AES version. Yeah we all know it came out a few months ago but some of us are just getting to play it with the AES version. Thanks for the brilliant, genius, enlightening reply though.

lithy said:
First impressions? This game was out months ago on MVS, and more importantly teh romz ;)

you spoiled sport:glee:

Thanks for the first impression whit, I'm certainly glad to keep hearing good things about this title. Mine will arrive at my apartment tomorrow, I'm so anxious for this game I know I'm going to have a hard time getting to sleep tonite, and have an extra long day at work tomorrow, but I'm sure it will pay off!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
whit said:
Yeah! Well some of us have to wait for the AES version. So its my frist impression and I imagine there are quite a number of us who waited for the AES version. Yeah we all know it came out a few months ago but some of us are just getting to play it with the AES version. Thanks for the brilliant, genius, enlightening reply though.

Just a joke man chill out.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
lithy said:

heh, more like 10th impressions. Everyone knows about this game now. ;)

How are these first impressions when I gave first impressions ove two months ago? :spock:

Spike

Spike Spiegel said:
heh, more like 10th impressions. Everyone knows about this game now. ;)

How are these first impressions when I gave first impressions ove two months ago? :spock:

Spike

Yeah, but hey you must admit there's been nothing on this game for the past month. I've been waiting for some updated opinions, because you know, people get a different view of a game after 2 months. I welcome all new MS5 reviews and opinions.

naitram

The Old Man
Got mine an hour or so ago. I've only been able to play up through level 3, but so far it's pretty good. Much better than MS4 - they actually have you on the move again this time. ;)

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
Any nice extra on this home version ? :)

And what about the manual, it has nice illustrations ?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The one thing I hate about the game... well, two things:

Slide beats everything. In case of emergency, slide, and you WILL live. Rockets that are skimming off the ground, for god's sake, will not hit you if you slide "under" it. More like through it.

And the end boss is super DUPER gay. Beyond that, great game. A bit on the easy side.

Spike

Spike Spiegel said:
The one thing I hate about the game... well, two things:

Slide beats everything. In case of emergency, slide, and you WILL live. Rockets that are skimming off the ground, for god's sake, will not hit you if you slide "under" it. More like through it.

And the end boss is super DUPER gay. Beyond that, great game. A bit on the easy side.

Spike

Spike- Can you compare the difficulty of MS5 on HARD to any other MS for us? Like, is MS5 on HARD = MS3 on NORMAL? or something?

I hope it isn't too easy... I got debug bios so at least I can crank it up to 9 or something.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
Spike- Can you compare the difficulty of MS5 on HARD to any other MS for us? Like, is MS5 on HARD = MS3 on NORMAL? or something?

I hope it isn't too easy... I got debug bios so at least I can crank it up to 9 or something.

I cannot compare to MS4, as I played it only about five times and never touched it again.

I can only compare to level 4 with the others, as I've only played hard AES with MS2, MS3, and MSX.

MS5's level 4 difficulty is the easiest, but may be just about tied with MS1. MS1 is doable with one life, as is 5. I find 2 to be pretty darn easy, too, but because of the slowdown. X is almost the same, but a bit tougher for me. And 3, I can only get to the last level (on a good day) without using a continue. I will tear through about 4 coins on normal MVS level 4 with MS3.

My rankings of ease go as such, and what the hell, I'll add MS4:

MS5
MS1
MS2
MSX
MS4
MS3

That's my opinion of easiest to hardest. 1 and 5 are so close that it's hard to choose.

Spike

whit

New Challenger
"heh, more like 10th impressions. Everyone knows about this game now.

How are these first impressions when I gave first impressions ove two months ago?"

Hey Spike,

These are my first impressions. Thats why I started the thread. What is it with some of you people. Do you get some weak sense of importance by letting everyone know you posted some impressions on this game before someone else. If so get a life.

naitram

The Old Man
I wouldn't know about any extra stuff in the home cart, as I never played the MVS version.

But the insert (Japanese) is really nice, and the manual is in full color. I actually like the cart sticker myself.

whit

New Challenger
Yeah, the English manual is really well done as well but I actually dont like the cart sticker because they used white on it. The insert's color are kind of dull as well but I sure do like the game.

naitram

The Old Man
I just think the cart sticker is a nice counter-balance to the insert, and the MS5 logo is on top of it.

The only gripe I have so far is the on the spine - the Japanese lettering is way bigger than on the previous Slugs. I know that seems petty to some people, but it would have been nice if they could have matched it to the others.

Nameless

Armored Scrum Object
not got it yet hope to have it by the weekend what makes it so good

I've played it only once so far, but my first impression is a good one. This one is definitely a keeper, it has the most rockin soundtrack of any Slug game yet. I love the graphics, especially the backgrounds, they are so detailed, every bit as good as Slug 3 graphics so far I think. There is some good parralax scrolling in stage 3 that I think some of you will like.

I really dig all the new characters, even if they are hacks of existing sprites, so what, they are totally different with the masks, and the ninja suits and stuff:D

The new Slugs are great! The Slug Gunner is the shit you guys, that thing makes me feel like a terminator or something, you are just a walking death machine, plus it can transform into a tank for greater speed!

The Double Uzi is present, this is my first encounter with this weapon since I missed out on MS4, I like it. I keep forgetting to utilize the 'slide', I keep trying to jump over bullets instead of using slide, so I keep getting killed, but I learn.

Now I can't wait to try that crazy spider slug I keep seeing in attract mode! I'll play more later...this is great, best Playmore effort yet! :D