KOF 96 Korean Stage Question

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I just noticed today that when you play on the Korean stage in KOF96, the banner in the middle of the courtyard changes every round.

Do any of the Korean speakers here have any idea what it says?

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
my mom told me back in the day when i was whoring the
tv set for my NEOGEO. I'll have to ask her again.
I think she mentioned thunder or lightning.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
The banner in the middle of the stage changes every round, i think there are only three of them. Each one says something to one of the members on the team. For example, one says "Kim Kap Hwan Tae Kwon Man Seh!!". I don't know what Tae Kwon Man Seh means but i can read it, so... for what it's worth:

Chang's says "Minnunda, Chang Goehan!"

It looks like Choi doesn't have one.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
weird... the korean games are totally bizarre, on some I can't figure out what's different, and on others its obvious.

I'm going to play some tonight, i wonder if I can find any other stuff thats different.

tsukaesugi

NeoGML said:
The banner in the middle of the stage changes every round, i think there are only three of them. Each one says something to one of the members on the team. For example, one says "Kim Kap Hwan Tae Kwon Man Seh!!". I don't know what Tae Kwon Man Seh means but i can read it, so... for what it's worth:

Chang's says "Minnunda, Chang Goehan!"

It looks like Choi doesn't have one.

Thanks for providing the translations / readings guys.

I'm pretty sure that there were three different banners though. The last one came up when Choi was playing, but, not being able to read Korean, I had no idea what it said.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
sat down with my mom, she said what matt mentioned already,
Kim Kapwhan Tae Kwando.
for Chang Koehan she said it says his name and "I believe you"
maybe something like I believe you'll win? I don't know.
and for Choi she said it says Choi Bouige except she pronounced
it as bun-gey and said that means lightning in Korean,
and said something to the course of maybe fast as lightning or something.
she was kind of vague though I asked her more specifically.
and as a side note she said the banner on the left said public fight.
hope that helps.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
I don't have a copy of KOF 96 or the handy romz to check out the banner in question, but....

To answer NeoGML:

Manse, as in "Kim Kaphwan taekwondo manse!" means "Hail!" "Viva!" or "Long Live!"

It's written with the same characters (kanji/hanja) as Japanese "Banzai" or Mandarin "Wansui" if that helps, in other words, literally, "10,000 Lives." Same usage. Put person's name or slogan in front, and then throw your arms up and yell "manse!" Watch any Korean historical drama or any north Korean news broadcast for examples.

tsukaesugi

gmw said:
I don't have a copy of KOF 96 or the handy romz to check out the banner in question, but....

To answer NeoGML:

Manse, as in "Kim Kaphwan taekwondo manse!" means "Hail!" "Viva!" or "Long Live!"

It's written with the same characters (kanji/hanja) as Japanese "Banzai" or Mandarin "Wansui" if that helps, in other words, literally, "10,000 Lives." Same usage. Put person's name or slogan in front, and then throw your arms up and yell "manse!" Watch any Korean historical drama or any north Korean news broadcast for examples.

BANZAI!

I knew you could read Korean, but I didn't think you came into the KOF forums much.

Is your avatar the detective from the Katsuya Terada Sega Saturn detective game?

@Rare KUMZAHUMNIDA! Thanks again man.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
I've actually been getting back into KOF lately, playing 2002 a lot.

The new AV and sig are both in commemoration of the rebirth of the classic Tantei Jinguuji Saburou series on the PS2.

A good guess, though. I have a huge love of the entire "tantei" genre.

Also, "bôngae" (MR) or "beongae" (new romanization) does indeed mean lightning.

I always wondered why the Japanese transliteration of Choi's name was "cho-i," since it's actually pronounced like "Chwe" in Korean. Typically, it's represented like this in Japanese, since the spelling "Choi" is a problem that stems from romanization. Who knows why I'm wondering about shit like this at nearly 2 am.

tsukaesugi

gmw said:
Who knows why I'm wondering about shit like this at nearly 2 am.

Heh, it's 2 pm here, and I'm shitfaced on Okinawan Awamori (the wife's out for the afternoon).

Hurry up and get yer ass to Tokyo so we can play some KOF02.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
tsukaesugi said:
Heh, it's 2 pm here, and I'm shitfaced on Okinawan Awamori (the wife's out for the afternoon).

Hurry up and get yer ass to Tokyo so we can play some KOF02.

Man, I'm envious. I was up late grading and am wasting time now. Meeting students all tomorrow, which will be followed by marathon drinking.

When we eventually kick it in Tokyo, I prescribe: many beers, one bottle decent whisky, one pack of smokes, one Miburo CD, one Vanilla Muffins CD, a home system, two sticks, and a KOF cart of choice.

tsukaesugi

gmw said:
Man, I'm envious. I was up late grading and am wasting time now. Meeting students all tomorrow, which will be followed by marathon drinking.

When we eventually kick it in Tokyo, I prescribe: many beers, one bottle decent whisky, one pack of smokes, one Miburo CD, one Vanilla Muffins CD, a home system, two sticks, and a KOF cart of choice.

Sounds awesome.

May I alter the plan a bit to include an afternoon in Akihabara at the Fatal Fury dedicated arcade, a dinner in the drinking-dens of Shinjuku, followed by the said beers, whisky, Oi! and KOF?

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
tsukaesugi said:
Sounds awesome.

May I alter the plan a bit to include an afternoon in Akihabara at the Fatal Fury dedicated arcade, a dinner in the drinking-dens of Shinjuku, followed by the said beers, whisky, Oi! and KOF?

Sounds like a plan, sir!

Widaehan sul-sasang manse!!

(Long Live Supreme Liquor Ideology!)

- stupid and simple pun on standard north Korean "Long Live Juche Ideology!"

tsukaesugi

gmw said:
Sounds like a plan, sir!

Widaehan sul-sasang manse!!

(Long Live Supreme Liquor Ideology!)

- stupid and simple pun on standard north Korean "Long Live Juche Ideology!"

"The Revoultion will only be one through sacrifice. The only way to smash the Imperialist Running Dogs is to embrace the two-fold policy of drinking in Shinjuku and going home and listening to Oi!. Long live the Two-Drinking-System!"