Neo Died & Has Been Revived!

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
I just beat King of the Monsters, got up and turned the system off. I stuck in another game, switched it on and my Neo didn't work. I tried another game, didn't work. Another one, didn't work. I checked all the wires, tried a different wall socket. Nothing.
My Neo's dead...

But I've noticed before this that I would get a static shock sometimes when turning the system off. I wouldn't get shocked anywhere else on the system besides the on/off switch. I didn't think anything about it, but now I'm wondering.

The static shock probably killed it. But why was the on/off button shocking me? It's a used Neo Geo from Japan. I've had it for about a year now without any problems. It just started shocking me recently. Like a few weeks ago. Isn't there a static shield inside the console?

BTW, I didn't get a shock the last time I turned it off.

Last edited:

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
I let the system rest for an hour. I took all the wires apart and rehooked everything (yet again). And now the system is working! Go figure.

Has anybody else had static shock problems like this?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hmm........ Sounds like there was a shock or short....

Do you have your board close to a TV/speaker or something that throws off alota magnetic waves?

Also Is your neo plugged into a surge protector or a ball of extenders/adaptors?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Shin-Strider said:
I let the system rest for an hour. I took all the wires apart and rehooked everything (yet again). And now the system is working! Go figure.

Has anybody else had static shock problems like this?

Not so far (knock on wood). These types of stories always warm my heart .... :D.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
If you are getting shocking experiences it may be time to earth your cab. It makes sense from a safety point of view.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Shin-Strider said:
I just beat King of the Monsters, got up and turned the system off. I stuck in another game, switched it on and my Neo didn't work. I tried another game, didn't work. Another one, didn't work. I checked all the wires, tried a different wall socket. Nothing.
My Neo's dead...

But I've noticed before this that I would get a static shock sometimes when turning the system off. I wouldn't get shocked anywhere else on the system besides the on/off switch. I didn't think anything about it, but now I'm wondering.

The static shock probably killed it. But why was the on/off button shocking me? It's a used Neo Geo from Japan. I've had it for about a year now without any problems. It just started shocking me recently. Like a few weeks ago. Isn't there a static shield inside the console?

Where do you have the Neo Geo located at when this happens..?

If you have the system-console on a rug/carpet that may cause this problem..

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You are going to need a new power supply.. It's reads like your power suppy is overheating now thus slowly dying on you.
-BB

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I agree...the power supply may be dying a slow death.

As far as the static, make sure the cabinet is earthed and if you're around a carpeted area, try not to shuffle around on it and ground yourself before touching any part of the cabinet.

I've heard many a sad story about a simple static electricity shock taking out an entire board :crying:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I'm lost here..Is this a Cab or a Console/Home system..?

((((The static shock probably killed it. But why was the on/off button shocking me? It's a used Neo Geo from Japan. I've had it for about a year now without any problems. It just started shocking me recently. Like a few weeks ago. Isn't there a static shield inside the console?))))))

My Neo's dead...

Last edited:

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
It's an AES home system. I have it sitting on a shelf inside a wooden entertainment center. That's why I didn't understand why the system stopped working. There shouldn't have been a way for the static electricity to get in it.

I'll try replacing the AC plug.

Do you think it's a voltage problem with using a Japanese home system in an American wall socket?

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
BTW, I shouldn't have said static shock. I just jumped to the conclusion that it was static electricity.

I didn't think I could actually be getting shocked by the system itself.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Shin-Strider said:
BTW, I shouldn't have said static shock. I just jumped to the conclusion that it was static electricity.

I didn't think I could actually be getting shocked by the system itself.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok,..Are you walking up to the console in socks on a rug/carpet then turning it on..?
Is your TV on when this happens..?and are you real close to the TV when this happens.

Sometimes this will happen to me if..I walk up to a console thats near my TV to turn it on (in socks walking on carpet)..and touch the TV screen while it's on...Damn I get a decent shock.

The other day I was cleaning the screen on the TV near the Candy cab with Windex while the TV was on..
I was in socks../My left arm touched the Candy Cabs control panel while my right hand was touching the TV screen and Fk I got a big Ass Shock.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Ok,..Are you walking up to the console in socks on a rug/carpet then turning it on..?
Is your TV on when this happens..?and are you real close to the TV when this happens.

Sometimes this will happen to me if..I walk up to a console thats near my TV to turn it on (in socks walking on carpet)..and touch the TV screen while it's on...Damn I get a decent shock.

The other day I was cleaning the screen on the TV near the Candy cab with Windex while the TV was on..
I was in socks../My left arm touched the Candy Cabs control panel while my right hand was touching the TV screen and Fk I got a big Ass Shock.

YEOW!!! I know that feeling all too well!!! :blow_top:

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
Sorry about the confusion my first posts may have caused. I assumed it was static shock, but I now believe it was just the AC plug going bad like someone else said earlier in this thread. The on/off switch shock was just a kickback from the bad plug. Haven't had any problems since replacing the AC plug. Games are running fine and I haven't been shocked.

The floor is carpeted around my setup, but I'm usually sockless. The Neo Geo is in a little entertainment center with some other systems that aren't connected up. And the TV is in it's own entertainment center about 2-3 feet away.

Thinking about it now there's really no way static shock could have been the problem. I was just rushing to judgement on this without thinking about it first. Looks like the situation has been solved now though. I'll be sure to let you know if this ever happens again.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Shin-Strider said:
Sorry about the confusion my first posts may have caused. I assumed it was static shock, but I now believe it was just the AC plug going bad like someone else said earlier in this thread. The on/off switch shock was just a kickback from the bad plug. Haven't had any problems since replacing the AC plug. Games are running fine and I haven't been shocked.

The floor is carpeted around my setup, but I'm usually sockless. The Neo Geo is in a little entertainment center with some other systems that aren't connected up. And the TV is in it's own entertainment center about 2-3 feet away.

Thinking about it now there's really no way static shock could have been the problem. I was just rushing to judgement on this without thinking about it first. Looks like the situation has been solved now though. I'll be sure to let you know if this ever happens again.

Great Man..that's Good News..
Glad to hear it's all sorted out/working great now..