I'm having trouble with the controls for kof 2000/2001 for the ps2

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
Hey guys. Just to let ya know i just bought the game and i'm having a very difficult time trying to pull off everyones moves with the ps2 controller. I have the dreamcast version of kof 2000 and 2001 also and i never had trouble pulling off the moves. Is anyone else having this problem?

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
Damn how the hell can you pull off the moves while i can't? I guess my ps2 controller is too damn tight. Man this sucks.

Black Noah

Another Striker
Shin, I had the same problem you do.

Truth is, the PS2 Dual Shock D-Pad sucks for 2-D games.

Use a PS1 Dual Shock Pad instead. It makes a world of difference.

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
Oh i didn't know ps1 controllers could still work on the ps2 system. I your right about the ps2 controller for 2d fighting games. Thanks for the big help Black Noah. :)

Last edited:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
icky pisser2 controller. Save the cash and invest into a nice stick.

Reality Check

World Hero
ShinKusanagi said:
Damn how the hell can you pull off the moves while i can't? I guess my ps2 controller is too damn tight. Man this sucks.

All I can say is I got used playing 2D games on my PS2 using the dual shock 2. If it helps, you should put your thumb under your shirt or some sort of cloth. Like that, when you use the D-pad it move smooth.

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
I still haven't got the chance to buy the ps1 controller yet. Well today i'm going to the mall to buy it so i'll let ya know if i'm still having problems.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
PS2 d-pad has to be the worst ever aside from the Wonderswan which is actually 4 separate buttons. Anyway, I tried this at a friends yesterday and was having the hardest time doing shit, and gave up after 10 minute when my thumb hurt. What kind of sticks are out there that are good, any decent domestic ones?

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
You know Guilty gear x2 is a 2d game like kof and i have no problems at all pulling off the moves with the ps2 controller for that game. I just wonder why the fuck it's so hard to pull off one decent move in kof 2000/2001 on the ps2 controller

Last edited:

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
Well i just got from the mall and got the ps1 controller. And i'm still having trouble pulling off the moves

Black Noah

Another Striker
It's no secret that you have to be very precise to do moves in SNK games. Capcom fighters and Guilty Gear give you a little bit of leeway when it comes to move execution.

I've gotten used to doing moves on a PS1 pad, because it's all I had for a while. That is, until I got my X-Arcade (which I still wouldn't recommend to anyone).

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
well i'm still here practicing. And the controller is getting a little better to use. i wish there was an easier way though

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
If it's a new pad then you're going to have to give it a little time to break into it. Usually doesn't take longer than a week or so, depending on how much you play. You can always invest in a Magic Box adapter to play a Saturn or DC pad on your ps2 if push comes to shove.

kyoshiro1

n00b
check this out guys..a couple of years back I was having the same problem with the ps1 pad so I opened it up and found that there is a bar of some sort over the directional buttons ,I guess so it keeps its firmness and I removed it.it caused no problems and the pad d-buttons are very loose now so I can pull off my moves very easily now.I have not opened my ps2 controller yet since I dont really play it too much.but give that a try and see if it helps.

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
cool! a kof fan in NJ like me:multi_co: . Well since i got nothing better to do i may as well take apart my controller

ShinKusanagi

Overtop Pathfinder
I tried to but i was afraid i was going to break it instead of trying to fix it. I guess i better start playing kof everyday just top break the controller in.