MVS Kit Price Guide

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
There have been mumblings about the desireability or otherwise of an MVS Kit Price Guide for some time. With so many variables in kits it makes good sense to have a guide, partly to serve as an FAQ of kit collecting and partly to serve as a price guide, something I'm pleased to be doing going forwards.

I hope to get some of the obvious stuff up quickly and follow it up with some of the more unusual titles in due course.

Any thoughts?

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
c.t.h said:
no.

mvs kit collecting....:eek_2: :oh_no:

What's the problem with collecting MVS kits man?:smirk:

A price guide would be appreciated because it's hard to determine the price with all the marquees and all that...

What is the maximum price to provide for a loose Garou MotW?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I hate price guides

although they serve a purpose, it also allows price gouging

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
please...

no mvs price guide...

I like finding inexpensive mvs carts.

edit: on second thought, I have no problem with guaging for mvs kits. Let the collectors pay out the nose for them. Just leave my bare jpn carts alone.

edit: fuck me I can't spell.

Last edited:

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
I'm not going to touch carts Max, anyone buying kits is already collecting.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
c.t.h said:
no.

mvs kit collecting....:eek_2: :oh_no:

Rage of the Dragons is the only kit I can think of that doesn't exist in a pure collector atmosphere today. Which kits are you thinking of that aren't sought/ bought by collectors?

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
NeoFight said:
couldnt agree more. lets ruin another area of neo with insane high prices.

I don't think so and I hope not, it's more about how hard they are to find.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
as a seller, when a market officially becomes a "collectors market", it makes it alot harder to sell kits. I already had no plans to sell them, but this will just introduce a new wave of ridiculously picky buyers.

Be real guys...these are arcade games, they weren't even ever meant for home consumption. A price guide? come on.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
c.t.h said:
as a seller, when a market officially becomes a "collectors market", it makes it alot harder to sell kits. I already had no plans to sell them, but this will just introduce a new wave of ridiculously picky buyers.

Be real guys...these are arcade games, they weren't even ever meant for home consumption. A price guide? come on.

Something I really don't want to see is people becoming ridiculously picky of condition, whether it's creased boxes, scuffed carts or whatever, you're right, kits are about how hard they are to find, not about condition. The price guide will be built around how hard a title is to find, not what a new version costs next to a used copy. In fact, I'd hope to reverse the recent trend in absurdist condition hunting.

Allien133

Astra Superstar
c.t.h said:

I totally agree.

No MVS kit price guide.....please.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Go for it blackspy. I don't know why MVS kit collecting is so much more wrong than anything else... for those that haven't checked the prices for rare kits are already high, and I'm sure those of you against it weren't even in the market for a WW7,MD3, LB2, Kizuna kit to begin with.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
I wouldn't be so against it if it didn't consist of a set price but more of a Low-High setup. Kinda like comic/card collecting. I agree if a set price is listed its going to drive up prices and ruin it for those w/o money to burn. If its regulated somewhat w/ highs and lows based on an average then it'll help give the average buyer sompin to base his decisions on and avoid seller rapeage:cool:

Robert Wallace

Sieger's Squire
I think this is a great idea! There will be some variables, but that is just common knowledge.

Many Kits that I've seen for sale and asked about do have very similar prices. Such as Strikers 1945 Plus, Prehistoric Isle 2, Neo Bomberman, Puzzle Bobble, Captain Tomaday, Zupapa, Blazing Star, and many others....

I started a thread last year, asking Kit Owners to post what kits they have bought, and to list the prices they have paid for them. I was unable to find this thread using the search feature, mabey it got archived when this site moved over to the new updated version?

If you want to start a Price Guide I am all for it, it seems like the only people who would be aginst it are the people who dont even buy MVS Kits.

Im also interested in seeing a possible rarity scale like for homecarts. From the little time I have spent collecting/buying kits I've noticed that MVS Kits are very plentiful in Europe more than in the USA......especially new or complete kits.

Isn't that where the 500 some Super Dodge Ball Kits came from?

Oh yeah.......The Neo Store should not be used as a guide for MVS Kits, some of the prices are more expensive and can be found cheaper. On the same note online stores have a hand in determining the price of kits in the selling forums.....its all about supply and demand anyways.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
All of the price guides have a high and low and should have a range of that. It only makes sense. Also, there is already an MVS cart price guide. I don't know why people would assume it would change if a KIT guide were created or added to it.

It's hard for some people to understand that while a Last Blade 2 cart can be had for $40 that a complete, matching kit (yes, regardless of condition) can catch $400-500. I got news for ya folks. There is already a collector's market for kits and these prices are already high. Making a price guide doesn't set the prices, it records them. Yes, some dealers sell based on the guide. So be it. But if they can't sell for that price, they'll have to lower it and then the guide price will come down too. That's how it works.

*D-Lite nervous at the near roll out of the NGPC price guide*

daz007

Morden's Lackey
Great idea

Having a kit price is long overdue. People who buy kits do have a collectors mentality anyway and therefore a price guide will probably provide some stability.

Looking forward to seeing this when complete

Daz

Robert Wallace

Sieger's Squire
D-Lite said:
All of the price guides have a high and low and should have a range of that. It only makes sense. Also, there is already an MVS cart price guide. I don't know why people would assume it would change if a KIT guide were created or added to it.

It's hard for some people to understand that while a Last Blade 2 cart can be had for $40 that a complete, matching kit (yes, regardless of condition) can catch $400-500. I got news for ya folks. There is already a collector's market for kits and these prices are already high. Making a price guide doesn't set the prices, it records them. Yes, some dealers sell based on the guide. So be it. But if they can't sell for that price, they'll have to lower it and then the guide price will come down too. That's how it works.

*D-Lite nervous at the near roll out of the NGPC price guide*

Amen to that homeslice!

If you dont like a MVS Kit price guide then just dont abide by it or even use it. Its as simple as that....

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sundance said:
I wouldn't be so against it if it didn't consist of a set price but more of a Low-High setup. Kinda like comic/card collecting. I agree if a set price is listed its going to drive up prices and ruin it for those w/o money to burn. If its regulated somewhat w/ highs and lows based on an average then it'll help give the average buyer sompin to base his decisions on and avoid seller rapeage:cool:
Becoming more like comic/card collecting is exactly the kind of thing I fear for this hobby. Look what it's done for comics. I'd rather not spend so much effort creating and maintaining artificial "values" for MVS carts. I cringe whenever I hear someone talking about MVS carts or kits "holding their value"... why should they? They're not meant to be an investment. Save that nonsense for homecart collectors.

Just my naive opinion.

I guess it would be okay to put more value into complete and minty kits, while allowing carts and kits that get played (like mine) to devalue naturally, but that just encourages some people who will never play the games to store them away as an investment, while people who would actually enjoy the games do without.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Why hasn't the mint brigade chimed in yet?

Can rimm_rs tell us what a truly mint kit is and how much it's worth?

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
SouthtownKid said:
I guess it would be okay to put more value into complete and minty kits, while allowing carts and kits that get played (like mine) to devalue naturally, but that just encourages some people who will never play the games to store them away as an investment, while people who would actually enjoy the games do without.

I'm one of those collector bastards, but also a gamer = MVS kit + loose cart of my favorite games.

But for some things, I just play the cart I got from the kit since the condition of the cart isn't so critical for collecting kits.

Actually, the coolest part of the kits is the MM, artset, and stickers. Some of them, like for RBFF2 are just cool looking.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
I'm one of those collector bastards, but also a gamer = MVS kit + loose cart of my favorite games.

But for some things, I just play the cart I got from the kit since the condition of the cart isn't so critical for collecting kits.

Actually, the coolest part of the kits is the MM, artset, and stickers. Some of them, like for RBFF2 are just cool looking.
For the record, I never called anyone a bastard.

I also enjoy putting the MMs in my cab, and I laminated move stickers from my KOF '02 kit, so I could tape them up on my cab and take them off later. I am by no means against kits. I'm not against keeping my possessions in good condition. I just don't like the idea of treating them as collectibles first and as games a distant second. For practically every game someone has minty and unopened on their shelf, there is someone else somewhere who wishes they had that game to play. To play.

By the way, I'm looking for a RB2 MM if you have an extra...:D