Best Real Bout game

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The Alpha vs Real Bout thread made me go and play some of both just now... I voted Alpha, but maybe I voted too soon. Damn Real Bout is fine. I don't like 1 all that much, but Special and 2 are so hard for me to choose. Which one would you say is the best, and why?

Spike

was going to make this a poll, but there's too damned many already. I guess I will say mine would have to be RB2. Tung is a pimp in that game. Again, it's a toss up between S and 2, but S's announcer is a bit too... silly at times. Plus, I like the BGs in 2 just a bit more.

Last edited:
D

Devils Child

I like Real Bout Fatal Fury Special the best. It comes off as a splendid fighter with tight controls, gorgeous animations, the sprites are bigger, the moves are flashier, the colors are brighter, the game is a work of clarity, of passion, and nearly perfection. I could play Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for days and not get tired of it.

Sure the other 2 Real Bout installments are good, 2 is very good, but, there is something more to Special, something about how both Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, and the original Fatal Fury Special were simply built because of demand, the wonderful works of SNK shoved out the door simply because the consumer needed more, wanted more, and Capcom couldn't meet the demand.

When a game is as close to perfection as RB FF Special is, and the only dirt on it is that it was a hurried translation shoved out to the consumer because they craved and demanded it, well that truly makes it something special.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
RB Fatal Fury = "Unique Coolness I had never seen before."

RB Fatal Fury Special = "What should have been part one."

and RB Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers IMO, was the best execution of the series. I just fell in love with this title over the others, although if I had to pick between #1 and "Special" I'd have to go with "Special". I do however, prefer the RB series over even Capcom's Zero series, as I'm finally begining to truly LOVE the faux 3-D side-step line changing... my "bouts" are gettin' Real tactic driven.

Mercenary X99

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
I have been a real bout fan ever since I first played RBFF on my roommates NGH. I finally completed my collection last month, and I have to say that the last I acquire is my favorite. RB2 is just pure 100% fun. RBFFS is a great game with an over all more "complete" feel to it than RB2, but I just seem to enjoy RB2 more. Player intros are cool and all, but I usually end up skipping them to get down to the nitty gritty, and RB2 caters to that.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Of the 3 Real Bouts, for me the best is Special, then 1 and last but not least 2.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
very hard to choose :annoyed:

but it would have to be special > 2 > 1

although i do love the new characters in RB2
if you take out the new characters in RB2... special wins by miles

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
SHO said:
very hard to choose :annoyed:

but it would have to be special > 2 > 1

although i do love the new characters in RB2
if you take out the new characters in RB2... special wins by miles

By miles? The backgrounds are better, the play is not as over the top, and.... well, the characters. heh. I think 2 and special are very close.

I love Tung in 2. He's the best version in 2.

Spike

SHO

Raiden's Valet
Spike Spiegel said:
I think 2 and special are very close.

yes, its hard to choose

i have exaggerated "by miles", but you get the picture

i still vote special tho! :eek_2:

RB2 comes very close...:p

silverslug

Fist Fucking Moron
THis is too tough to call.
People may like real bout 1 for the ringouts.
People might like special for the objects you can bash people into, plus its got more stages in it.
People will probly almost always go with realbout 2 because it is a better 2 player game and it has the most backgrounds and fighters. They are all so close that I give them all a tie. How could not. If your new I say buy special first.
realbout = about 20
realbout special =25
and realbout 2 =30-55 on mvs
If you got the money definately go fot the aes as it has more characters in it like dark andy. wow that is really badass
realbouts are some of the only aes games that are better than mvs counterparts.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
1 for gameplay

special for bgs,sprites,omake stuff

2 because you didnt know it was shit and now you're stuck with an average game that pisses you off

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Devils Child said:
I like Real Bout Fatal Fury Special the best. It comes off as a splendid fighter with tight controls, gorgeous animations, the sprites are bigger, the moves are flashier, the colors are brighter, the game is a work of clarity, of passion, and nearly perfection. I could play Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for days and not get tired of it.

Sure the other 2 Real Bout installments are good, 2 is very good, but, there is something more to Special, something about how both Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, and the original Fatal Fury Special were simply built because of demand, the wonderful works of SNK shoved out the door simply because the consumer needed more, wanted more, and Capcom couldn't meet the demand.

When a game is as close to perfection as RB FF Special is, and the only dirt on it is that it was a hurried translation shoved out to the consumer because they craved and demanded it, well that truly makes it something special.

look,
the combos in RBS are basically all the same

it's annoying because we're talking about a fighting game

at least 2 is better than special in that department

Kinniku

Quiz Detective
Real Bout 1. Stronger fighters, illegal tournament environment, better gameplay.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I always like Real bout 1 the best. I think it has the dark atmosphere that Kof 95 has. I also like Chonrei the best in RB. The only drawback is the low number of backgrounds.

The whole series is amazing though... I think RB2 comes in second for me with Special last by default. It's hard to say which ones are better, sometimes I change my mind depending on which one Im playing at the moment.

silverslug

Fist Fucking Moron
realbout one has 3 planes
special has 2 planes
and real bout has 1 or 2
what plane system do you all prefer?
Ive only played special, bought it for 25 bucks in great condition from md games.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Real Bout 1,excellent vs fighter
RBS,dare I state that it was too easy to pickup where a novice could challange you...did'nt really care for the all around scenery...
DM sprites,etc.
RB2,really liked this one but as I kept playing,I'm not a fan of the rushed gameplay format..It feels like a cookie cutter fighter where your moves have to be scripted in order to be successful.
TOO MUCH emphasis on comboing.
Give me the RBS engine installed into RB2 and you have a winner imo.
I also prefer some RBFF sprite designs over the RBS/RB2 ones.
Blue Mary and Franco come to mind. Franco looks too cartoonish and Mary keeps on her jacket :/ I would have loved to see some visual edginess in RB2.
-BB

Last edited:

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
While I dig the sprite designs in RBFF, I absolutely love the sprites and animation of RB2. They are cartoony, but the colors and detail added to each character is tops. However, the booby shot of Blue Mary in RBFF is just straight up THE SHIT! So, while I stand by my previous statement that RB2 is my favorite, RBFF is starting to edge in a little.