History of SNK on GameSpot

mosaic

n00b
Greetings all,

I just wanted to give you devoted SNK and Neo Geo fans a heads up about a rather lengthy article I'm working on for GameSpot. It's called the History of SNK and is scheduled to run next weekend (14th/15th) -- assuming my computer doesn't explode before I turn it in tomorrow morning.

The piece itself covers the entire history of SNK, from the beginning in 1978, through the NES and Neo Geo periods, through the Neo CD and Neo Pocket, into the Aruze fiasco, and finally to the present. I managed to get a wonderful interview with Chad Okada -- the Game Lord -- as well as a somewhat brief interview with SNK NEOGEO USA Consumer president Ben Herman. The collectors among you may be interested to know that portions of the piece delve into the rarity and collectible nature of AES and Pocket releases, specifically Metal Slug, Kizuna Encounter, Ultimate 11, Faselei UK, and Evolution UK.

As best I can without getting GameSpot into legal trouble, I've also touched upon counterfeits and the conversion phenomenon also.

I hope you'll all find it interesting, or at least, an honest and fair look at the company you have so much love for. I've been a fan of SNK and the Neo off and on for a long time (I love Crystalis, owned an AES for a few years in the mid-90's, and still play my Neo Pocket to this day) and am ecstatic that I've been given the chance to write something like this.

Shawn at the Neo Store has been pretty helpful providing image assets for the article, and has even given me a little exclusive surprise to unveil that AES fans have been chomping at the bit to see. I give Shawn and the Neo Store credit in the article, but I also wanted to publically thank him here as well. He's a stand up guy.

Thanks also go out to each one of you. Because this forum has so much traffic and because many of you run fan sites, it was easy for me to suggest an article like this to my editor. If SNK and the Neo didn't have such a devoted fan base, I'd probably have been stuck doing another baseball feature *grin*

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Fantastic!

Thanks for all your hard work. I'll be looking forward to reading the article (and I'll be looking forward to finding out what the 'surprise' is!)

KOF_FANATIK

Astra Superstar
mosaic said:
Greetings all,

I just wanted to give you devoted SNK and Neo Geo fans a heads up about a rather lengthy article I'm working on for GameSpot. It's called the History of SNK and is scheduled to run next weekend (14th/15th) -- assuming my computer doesn't explode before I turn it in tomorrow morning.

The piece itself covers the entire history of SNK, from the beginning in 1978, through the NES and Neo Geo periods, through the Neo CD and Neo Pocket, into the Aruze fiasco, and finally to the present. I managed to get a wonderful interview with Chad Okada -- the Game Lord -- as well as a somewhat brief interview with SNK NEOGEO USA Consumer president Ben Herman. The collectors among you may be interested to know that portions of the piece delve into the rarity and collectible nature of AES and Pocket releases, specifically Metal Slug, Kizuna Encounter, Ultimate 11, Faselei UK, and Evolution UK.

As best I can without getting GameSpot into legal trouble, I've also touched upon counterfeits and the conversion phenomenon also.

I hope you'll all find it interesting, or at least, an honest and fair look at the company you have so much love for. I've been a fan of SNK and the Neo off and on for a long time (I love Crystalis, owned an AES for a few years in the mid-90's, and still play my Neo Pocket to this day) and am ecstatic that I've been given the chance to write something like this.

Shawn at the Neo Store has been pretty helpful providing image assets for the article, and has even given me a little exclusive surprise to unveil that AES fans have been chomping at the bit to see. I give Shawn and the Neo Store credit in the article, but I also wanted to publically thank him here as well. He's a stand up guy.

Thanks also go out to each one of you. Because this forum has so much traffic and because many of you run fan sites, it was easy for me to suggest an article like this to my editor. If SNK and the Neo didn't have such a devoted fan base, I'd probably have been stuck doing another baseball feature *grin*

Dude thanks for giving props to the best system of all time.

Can't wait to read this article thanks:)
And thank you Shawn :)

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Wow, tell your editor he made a smart move letting an intelligent article be written about SNK and its history. Most other articles out there make so many embarrassing mistakes the NG fan base end up boycotting their websites...but Gamespot always seemed like a nice next-gen home for the Neo.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Awesome, man just awesome. Which gamespot editor are you?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Rockin', I look forward to the surprise, it's about time someone wrote an article covering the lengthy history of one of the best video game company in the world. :buttrock:

mosaic

n00b
Big Shady: Frank Provo, but I'm a freelance contributor, not an editor. I tend to review GBA games primarily, although I do pen a feature now and then. My main notariety seems to be the review and score I gave to Shenmue (originally a 6.8)...

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
It's because of stuff like this that I have a subscription to the GameSpot web site.

Looking forward to reading your article!

Sith05

Crossed Swords Squire
That's awesome, Frank. I'm a regular at Gamespot as well. I've read your reviews at stuff. Good times. I can't wait to read your feature.

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
could i read this even if i dont have a subscription to gamespot?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I'll be looking forward. I'm assuming it will include pics and all?

mosaic

n00b
Subscribers and non-subscribers alike will be able to view the entire piece, and associated media.

The main benefit that subscribers get is that they can download high resolution non-streaming video clips. I don't know how many, if any, video clips will go along with the piece though -- it's my job to get the text done and work on images and captions.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
mosaic said:
Big Shady: Frank Provo, but I'm a freelance contributor, not an editor. I tend to review GBA games primarily, although I do pen a feature now and then. My main notariety seems to be the review and score I gave to Shenmue (originally a 6.8)...
DAH, I remeber you! No hard feelings, big Shenmue fan here though :)

Q

qube

Excellent news! I can't wait for your article, especially the secret surprise :drool_2:

Q-

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
waits impatiently

my guess for the surprise is the US King of Fighters 2003 insert.

mosaic

n00b
Actually, if someone wants to help me out with one last thing, I'll be happy to include a special thanks in the article's introduction.

I'm trying to find a picture of a bootleg / counterfeit cart... you know, something that looks sellable, but so totally different from a legit release that any educated Neo buyer would know that something was amiss. I have plenty of images of the mess inside some counterfeits, but am lacking a decent image of the lengths bootleggers go to in order to pretty up their potential product.

If any of you has such a thing, or knows where I can find such an image, I'd be most grateful. :)

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
mosaic said:
My main notariety seems to be the review and score I gave to Shenmue (originally a 6.8)...

I can't diss. Jeff Gertsman has done worse and is by far the biggest idiot in all of gaming journalism. At least that score is in Gamespot's character (and hey, you might want to hit up IGNCube for some work, ;)). Although thats still just a bit mmm hmmm...

Thats cool that you're doing that article though. I'm definitely looking forward to reading it.

Last edited:

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
That's exciting. It's good to know that SNK finally gets some recognition among one of the best publishers in the video game industry. I've seen history specails of so many other thigns but not SNK yet!! I look forward to reading this. :)

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Awesome awesome, Gamespot has never been shameless in constantly plugging its love for the Neo and SNK. Can't wait to see the big article.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
mosaic,

I sent you a pm of where to find a bootleg pic, but incase you don't check your pm box, here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3271276362&category=13718

It's a bootleg of SVC Chaos. MVS cart for this game was never produced so this is as good of a bootleg cart pic as you're going to get. This game is only available in PCB format, even though SNK refers to it as the MVS release, but there's nothing "Multiple" about that, and the AES format for the home system. Hope this helps. Can't wait to read the article.

The Future Is Now