• Super Side Kicks 3: the Next Glory

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Super Side Kicks 4: Ultimate 11

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm looking to buy one of these here soon, but have never played ANY of them. Please, no rom users, as I want people who've played the real thing to vote. Which one is the best, and why? :)

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I've only played Sidekicks 1 & 2, but from these two I would pick the first game as the better of the two. I prefer the look of the graphics, which are small but nice sprites rather the rough digitized looking sprites of SS2.

Also my biggest gripe about SS2 is the tackling, it seems far too difficult to do the standard tackles, the sliding tackle and shoulder barge seem to miss so much as to be usless, just running though the opposing character to get the ball works but looks rather silly.

So, even though Sidekicks 1 is more primitive than its sequel, I reckon it is easier on the eye, the game flows better and it is simply more fun.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My fave is not listed, it's Neo Geo Cup '98 which is based on SS3 but contains more teams and extras.

From the ones you've listed, it would be Super Sidekicks 3 for me because it offers quick and highly controllable gameplay, decent no. of teams and match options and a CPU that doesn't just tackle its way to a sneaky goal but don't expect too much, a super clever AI never was a feature of the Sidekicks series... your team members are a bit more clever in part 3, passing-and-receiving works great, better than in any other part. Also, the flow of the game is great for fast passing games and hit-and-run tactics (which I prefer - I'm some sort of a jaded Kick Off veteran... ;) ).

Some say the best part would be the first game and I can see where these ppl are coming from because the first SS really is different compared to the others - it's quite rough and reminds me of old-school footy games more than any other Sidekicks game, while SNK seemingly tried to incorporate more "simulation" elements in the later ones, but despite the overall decent gameplay, it's not as fluent as the other parts IMO.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
I would say SS3, but honestly i ve played SS2 more than the others (because i could finish it in arcades is the reason why i guess :p)

The best one for me is Ngcup98 (Sidekick 3 1/2)

Sidekick1: old skool camera angle, the gameplay isn't very fluent and has an horrible ingame music. (CPU controled player change only)

Sidekick2: Debuts the new game engine, The camera angle changed. The controls of this game are awful, not even the CPU has full control of the player. (It has manual player change but it sux)

Sidekick3: Most of the bugs in Sidekick2 are solved, the game play is much more refined in this game, blah blah... I agree with everything takumaji said about it :) (The manual change player works in this game)

Sidekick4: Would be the best one if wasn for a new charge bar feature, the bar charge when you have control of the ball, when it reaches 100% you can do a very powerfull kick. It ruined the game, everything now is resumed to run with the ball for awhile and kick , 99% of the time the result will be a goal, the cpu is too dumb to take the ball from you. It destroyed the game.

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
must i post in this thread about why i feel ss2 is the best? i think anyone who's observed my past love for this soccer genius knows how i feel on it.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
SK3 Is the coolest for 2P gaming.

SK1 Is fun for single play.

Ultimate 11 Is the shit of the series. The last, and the worst.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Ive had SS3 from around when I was 15, mastered it so i guess that is my favourite, though granted if i had Neo Cup 98 i wiuld prolly vote that for the extras, but cant obviously...

SS1 is still col as, if a bit limited.

The music, well on the CD version of SS3 is real cool, particularly the end theme;)

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
Number 2!

I own the first two and they both have things going for them, but I played 2 every Friday night for years in the pub. That sort of deep down love never goes away.

yeah its got to be 2....i must have spent absolutely loads of cash playing that game down at my local arcade before it shut down:)
hullcityfcmad

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
I know its not included here, but its got to be Neo Geo Cup 98!! Its the most colourfull and best of all of them. Loads of extras and some of the flying headbutts etc are hilarious... used to play this with my bro and be in stitches...yes we are that sad :D

Anyways, the previous ones are just too frustrating for me for many reasons, mainly them being toooo old school if you know what I mean.

Sidekicks 4...hhmmmm, I had high expectations but was disappointed. The charge bar, as mentioned, is shit. Also, the pictures that come up after scoring a goal seem longer and more ferquent here which is VERY annoying. Hope this helps ....

D

Devils Child

I liked the original, I only played the first and third ones though. The original was cool, the third was decent, but kinda hard. Dunno why but the original seemed more playable to me. I never really liked sports on the Neo though, don't ask me why, I guess I just never was interested in the arcade sports genre, I like the simulations much better.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
sidekicks 1 was a fun eough arcade game. Although it had faults.
sidekicks 2 was a major step back. The players hunched over like apes, and speeded up gameplay. Despite all this i had many happy times playing it.
Bt the best in the series by far is Sidekicks 3, animation, and cut scenes are spot on, and best of all are the "super skills" only the most expert of players get to try. Eg anyone ever see Paul Gasciognes Euro 96 winner against Scotland.?? well i managed that trick on sidekicks 3.
BAsically it invloved running straight with the ball into the opposition penalty area, flicking the ball with your back hell, over your head and volleying it into the net! I only ever managed it once, any one else do it?? Add the violence of the 3rd game (yeah me and my cousins also used to be in stiches at the flying kicks and headbutts!) and you have a very complete soccer game

Last edited:

splits

n00b
Holy shit! You people drive me insane!

Now I have no idea what Super Sidekicks game to get

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
part 1,NO DOUBT

the other 3 sidekicks and cup 98 are imo imo imo useless,stupid and well,shit

and dont get started on goal goal goal or futsal...

get soccer brawl and sidekicks 1,they're the best 2 "soccer" games

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Ultimate 11.... because it is the ultimate sidekicks with added teams, goal screens, super power moves, etc.

Better buy the MVS version though... you dont want to spend as much as you need to for the AES.

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
I've only gotten around to playing SS2 and SS3 the most and I haven't played Neo Cup '98 or SS1 yet. I thought Super Sidekicks 2 was overall the most fun to play.

soundnvision

Kula's Candy
Sidekicks 1 for me, definitely.

I used to waste LOADS of quarters in to this sucka when i was a kid... it was addictive like fucking hell back then! also the graphics blew me away, with the cool scoring animations etc. It was so arcade-like, i loved it.

now that i have an mvs cab i still play it because of the great memories. i find it a great "fun" game to bash out every now and then. sure, it's not deep, but i never thought it was supposed to be that either.

as to the sequels, well i find em slow and kind of boring. they fail to be entertaining in an arcade way, and also realistic-wise.
if you want an extremely good REALISTIC football game, then get PES3 for ps2 for example. it's brilliant.

but if you want fast & harmless pure arcade-footie, then get Super Sidekicks 1 !

Atomiswave

Zero's Secretary
sorry , i dont understand why you dont pick super sidekicks 5?
this was re-named neo cup 98. this is the best.

second best is sidekicks 2.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
3 "A Próxma Glória" :buttrock:

It can be set to 100% portuguese, even the narration!

As all football narration must be!

Last edited:

Fredscape

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I actually liked them all but if I could only bring one to a deserted Island it would be number 3 I think.

Ive played them all and 3 was the most fun for me.