EX SNK artist "Shinkiro" Covers Spidey Unlimited!

David Fallows

Sieger's Squire
CLICKY!

Nice to see some fresh stuff from my fave VG artist of all time (the guy responsible for most of the old SNKs elite airbrush works)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
He's got such a unique style that you can tell it's him right away. I love his art, as he's produced some of the finest art with posters, covers, and in game art I've ever seen. HOWEVER, he's also a hit and miss with me, as many people all sort of look alike with his style. For instance, I LOVE his Geese, Terry, and KOF covers, but then he'll do stuff such as K. I hate his K. Never liked the way it looked.

But, overall, I love him to death. Great artist.
Spike

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
He's got such a unique style that you can tell it's him right away. I love his art, as he's produced some of the finest art with posters, covers, and in game art I've ever seen. HOWEVER, he's also a hit and miss with me, as many people all sort of look alike with his style. For instance, I LOVE his Geese, Terry, and KOF covers, but then he'll do stuff such as K. I hate his K. Never liked the way it looked.

But, overall, I love him to death. Great artist.
Spike

I was gonna say I always personally found him hit or miss as well. But I also think its largely personal opinion, I mean how can you draw imaginary characters 'wrong' :)

David Fallows

Sieger's Squire
I know what you mean about the K' Spike, LOL. He looked a little gay. There never was much artwork surrounding K' though, too bad he wasn't in CvS. His best pic is on the front of KoF2000 IMO.

Mush respect to the guy for my favourite cover art of all time: Real Bout 1. He's one of the people I'd love to meet in person and have a conversation with, and I'd definately consider purchasing some of his originals for crazy prices if I did have the cash.

Oh well - here's hoping he's used for the character artwork on SF4. Even I admit to that being blasphemy, although it's good talent wasted otherwise. Last time I saw some of his art was on the cover of Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis, what a waste!! The Final Fight One work was nice though.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I have almost always found his work to be near perfection.
KOF 2000 was godly and all the artwork for KOF since then has been pure shit.
People also seem to gloss over the fact that he did slug 3 as well. yet again, another series that had it's art turn into a festering pile when he left.
Does anyone know what other neo games he has done?
if he was the one that did the earlier KOF's than that is not his best work.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
David Fallows said:

Mush respect to the guy for my favourite cover art of all time: Real Bout 1. He's one of the people I'd love to meet in person and have a conversation with, and I'd definately consider purchasing some of his originals for crazy prices if I did have the cash.
I'll second that -- it's my favorite cover art, too. Most of his stuff now (maybe all since he went to Capcom) is done in Photoshop, so except for preliminary pencils there wouldn't be any originals of that. I'd love to have some of his older acrylic jobs, like the RBFF main art or the Haohmaru or Nakoruru portraits from SS2, though. I'd love to have any of his marker stuff too, although marker is not too archival and will probably fade eventually.

I know Marvel has some business relationship with Capcom, but I wish they would have at least mentioned his SNK work. Barring that, I wish Capcom would give him higher profile projects to work on (although I loved that Biohazard 2 Another Story illo he did).

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I like the spiderman itself, but that neon shit they added over him makes it look like shit.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:
I have almost always found his work to be near perfection.
KOF 2000 was godly and all the artwork for KOF since then has been pure shit.
People also seem to gloss over the fact that he did slug 3 as well. yet again, another series that had it's art turn into a festering pile when he left.
Does anyone know what other neo games he has done?
if he was the one that did the earlier KOF's than that is not his best work.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think Fatal Fury was Shinkiro's first work at SNK.
Art of Fighting, FF2, FFS were next in line.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
Correct me if I'm wrong. I think Fatal Fury was Shinkiro's first work at SNK.
Art of Fighting, FF2, FFS were next in line.
Nah, he did a few things before Fatal Fury... like Burning Fight, Robo Army (not sure about this -- came out the same date as FF), Sengoku, Riding Hero, Ghost Pilots. I'm probably forgetting something.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
He's a great artist, but I've never liked the style. Still, it doesn't change the fact that he's a master at what he does. That Spider-Man looks great.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Shinkiro's art was one of the things that first drew me to SNK. His style really brings the characters to life. He manages to retain the larger than life characterists of the characters while making them look extremely realistic.
Any of Shinkiro's work would be suitable for framing.

I never did figure out why he gave all the male characters eyeliner though.

Mike

Overkill Geyser

Ninja Combat Warrior
I haven't posted in a LOOOOONG time, but I thought this one was post-worthy. Forgive me if this's already been broght up, but did anyone know that he was doing the next cover for the next issue of the Street Fighter comic?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Nah, he did a few things before Fatal Fury... like Burning Fight, Robo Army (not sure about this -- came out the same date as FF), Sengoku, Riding Hero, Ghost Pilots. I'm probably forgetting something.

He did all of that?
Sengoku and Robo Army look like his early style but Riding Hero and Ghost Pilots? Wow............:drool_2:

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I think it is really cool that he has been given the chance to render such an Icon as Spiderman. It's too bad that he is the "Capcom Artsit" though.

Being the look of SNK for so many years, it's too bad that it took him going somewhere else to get some recognition outside of the gaming world.

In cany case, sweet cover.

Rodi

Crossed Swords Squire
Ok I'm confused... Is Shinkiro with Capcom or SNK? o_O

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Shinkiro!!!

Man... I really miss him. He puts more style and class in a few pixels than others in a whole drawing.

Put a Garou game next to KoF2k1 and it will make you puke, that 2k1 style is the worst crap I've ever seen. Horribly twisted, anaemic freaks with distorted faces and rubber-bone stances... bah.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
He did all of that?
Sengoku and Robo Army look like his early style but Riding Hero and Ghost Pilots? Wow............:drool_2:
I'm not positive he did the main illustrations for Riding Hero and Ghost Pilots, although I'm pretty sure the main illo for Ghost Pilots is him, but he did design work and manual illustrations for them.
Rodi said:
Ok I'm confused... Is Shinkiro with Capcom or SNK? o_O
He left SNK about the time the original SNK collapsed. I believe KOF 2000 was his last work there, and I believe Capcom vs. SNK was his first work at Capcom. I'm not positive about that, though.

David Fallows

Sieger's Squire
I can't believe how much his technique has improved since moving over to Photoshop. I simply figured he'd picked up the airbrush instead of his usual markers. (I'm sure the below Kyo '95 pic is airbrush)

shinkiro-kyo95.jpg

I bet his original PSDs are sweet though.:eek:

Someone mentioned if there was a Shinkiro website anywhere... I'm thinking of setting one up via collecting as much of his stuff as I can and then sorting it all out chronologically/style-wise. I dunno. I'll see how many 'unspoiled' images I can find first.

For me, Shinkiro's work WAS SNK. Everytime I flicked through a gaming mag back in the mid-ninties I'd spot a portrait of someone with those trademark 'dark' eyes and then stop right-away to read the info, having his art there TOLD you it was an SNK related page, no title necessary.

Last edited:

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
On a funny side note, there's a guy I know who hates SNK games because of their art (that "real" style), but he loves Capcom to death. Imagine his surprise when I told him that Shinkiro was Capcom's new artist.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
One of the best character designer of all time.
I particularly love the SS1 one. So real and spiritually elevated.:)

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
I believe Capcom vs. SNK was his first work at Capcom. I'm not positive about that, though.

His first work at Capcom was Final Fight One........I'm right about this time :glee:

I did a thread regarding Final Fight One cover art years ago in here :)