4 slot PCB video ram error (pic inside)

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
Hi all. I just got a non working Neo Geo PCB for $50. I'm trying to learn how to repair PCB's in general, so I thought I'd start with a Neo. Anyway, I fired it up in my JAMMA cab (with speakers unplugged) and got the following Video Ram error:
http://www.msu.edu/~miekkawi/neoerror.JPG

Any starting advice is appreciated. Thanks

SuperGunGuru

snkless

n00b
Guess what, I just bought a 4 slot board that has a video ram problem as well. Mine has the exact data error as yours,
Write: 5555h
Read: 55D5h

But the address is different, 8000h, where yours is 602h.

Maybe this is where I can help. My board has an obvious chip problem. NEO-253 Row D has a few pins missing and a few traces fried. Before I bought the board I assumed that the part would be a standard SRAM IC and I would just replace it. It looks like it is a proprietary ASIC though! This may be your problem as well. Now, I am hoping I can find a replacement chip or possibly fix the chip if it is not blown. Anyway, good luck in your search. If I come upon a dead 4 slot board to cannibalize, I will send you a note.

*Pete

[EDIT]
Now that I think about it, I didn't just buy your dead board did I? It is ok if I did. I love a challenge.

[EDIT]
After searching the forum it seems that this is a common problem and my problem is not the same as yours. My problem may be with a CXK5814, which is replaceable with TMM2018. It also seems that I have 2 or more problems with this board, great. Good luck to me then.

Last edited:

snkless

n00b
Guess what! I got my board working! I don’t have any carts to plug into it yet but at least it passes self test and I can scroll through the hardware test screens. All we did was reflow the solder around the video ram and clean the board. Then the chip that was missing pins was reattached. Mega thanks to my good bud Dan E!!!!!! :p You are the number one rework guy!

Anybody got a real cheap WORKING mvs cart they want to dump on me for testing?

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
woops, let me edit this so it sounds a little better. Snkless, this isn't the same PCB. I got mine from someone on the RGVAC newsgroup a while back. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm holding out hope that nightmare tony or someone who knows exactly what the error codes mean can help me out. Good luck with yours though.

Last edited: