Samurai Showdown V Special

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
Didn't see this anywhere else, According to 1up.com:

SNK Playmore plans to release an upgraded version of Samurai Spirits Zero (Samurai Shodown V to American players) in Japanese arcades this spring, according to order solicitations from arcade distributors. Samurai Spirits Zero Special will feature adjustments to gameplay balance based on player feedback from the original version, as well as new playable characters.
Those characters may cause some balance problems of their own, though. They're all boss characters -- Amakusa Shiro from the original Samurai Spirits, Zankuro from Samurai Spirits 3, and the trio of Yumeji, Sankuro, and Gaoh from Samurai Spirits Zero proper. Mizuki, the second game's boss, is sadly nowhere to be seen.

A PlayStation 2 version of Samurai Spirits Zero is in the works, although its release date is unspecified. Hopefully we'll see the improvements from the Special version included in the home release as well, when SNK chooses to update the world with more information.

I should be elated. The game is going to be re-balanced and new characters are being added. But somehow I I feel slighted because I pre-ordered the original for $350, just so I could play one of the best versions of Samsho. Well hopefully, these changes will be in the Playstation 2 or eventual X-box versions (means I have to pick up another Xbox).

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
If that sees a full AES/MVS release some people will most likely bit themselves in the ass. But I'm admittedly still not excited, the game is just a giant sprite and background ripoff with the new additions being sub standard.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
MeanBeanMachine said:
If that sees a full AES/MVS release some people will most likely bit themselves in the ass. But I'm admittedly still not excited, the game is just a giant sprite and background ripoff with the new additions being sub standard.

Clearly. Have the new additions been confirmed or are they only possibilites so far?

*hoping they put back Kuroko*

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This is such great news, now I can laugh at what a idiot I was for getting the cart!

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Yeah, and playmore never listens to the fans :p

I guess they realized they had a big hit on their hands, it must be getting played like crazy for ops to WANT to buy an updated version :cool: .

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
SNK USA: "proudly (yet somehow cluelessly) screwing over it's dedicatewd fan base since 1979"

O.K. so I don't know the official date, oh well.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
NeoTurfMasta said:
Think they took the time to add an English option? Naaaaa

They also better make sure that all home console ports are of the special version as well (just with out the "special" moniker, I hate those)

If they forget to mention that than they are truly two bit hacks whop should just give up. They say there are balancing the gameplay due to customer feedback where as some of the worst feedback was due to a lack of an english translation.

They also need to slightly/further polish the games graffics and sound and this couls be one hell of a game.

Geshwinne DI

Super Sidekicks 2
Well, I'm sure that it was the feedback from the Japanese side of things, and they're not going to complain about "Press Start" being out of place, as the rest of the game is in fact in their native language......

I however will......

Playmore....what the FUCK!!!!??

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Failure to include Gandara and Yuga causes me great ire. Ditto for leaving out Cham Cham, Shiki, Asura, and Taizan.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
DBS said:
I hope they add some fatalities to this game.
In all reality,that's al it needs for me.. I'm pretty sure JPN players complained about that.. it's a signature of completion.
-BB

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
*hoping they put back Kuroko*

Hah,

I agree, Kuroko was a awesome secret character!! One of my buddies still crys for Wan fu :( . Any new characters being added without having to input a code would be welcome. Although I would settle for it having english translated option. How knows, we'll see soon enough :smirk: .

silverslug

Fist Fucking Moron
I really dont believe this, but if gen an is not there I will be pissed. He was a sav and gave humor to the sereies, Shit if there is more than 3 bosses and no earthquake i wont even buy it for less than 150.
Yeah so this isnt coming out huh?

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
All this just for the 2 boss characters that weren't ported from SS4 into this beforehand? Real sad if you ask me. I'm truly shocked to see they still left Cham Cham out. Selfish bastards.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
NeoTurfMasta said:
Think they took the time to add an English option? Naaaaa
Where the hell you been hiding?! And what happen to your sig?
:)

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
I think he's talking about an english translated storyline.

I consider an updated english version of this extremely unlikely. SNK only listens to its Japanese fans, and nobody else. They could care less about its english audience, which makes me wonder why they even reinstated a US division in the first place.

Last edited:

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Well I imagine most of the changes are going to be gameplay related which I hope will be a change for the better. At the same time I hope they don't butcher the characters that are going to adjusted or beef them up even more which has been a symptom of game "rebalancing" in the past.

Personally as far as balance goes there's certain things that I'd like to see happen.

1. Increase Kusegeredous speed, doesn't need to be buy much but his walk is absolutely horrid, slowest character walk ever in a fighter. Also make the ground demons come out faster OR still come out regardless if Kusegeredou is hit. And while their at it make the puke on the ground last longer and maybe decrease the recovery time on his falls to the ground.

2. Tam Tam, I understand he was easy mode before but now he's simply something to run away from bait to jump or fireball and murder. He really only does really well against the larger characters everyone else he has few options against. Standing A is NOT what it was in SSIV. So at least give him back his speed, and maybe an air slash that doesn't have the exact same animation as the other 3.

3.Gaira, make him as fast as SSIII, that's it, hell you can give him back the rams but the speed thing is his primary problem.

4. Kazuki, allow the fireball that he can use if he's knocked off his feet actually do some damage, I'd also say screw Enja and give Kazuki ALL of his bloody moves and supers.

5. I'd say do the same with Sogetsu/Suija BUT you'd have to do some tweaking here otherwise he'd just way to many runaway options. It wouldn't be bad if he couldn't throw the air bubbles after he's already thrown the "sit there and absorb projectiles and freeze you" bubble that he already has.

Eh no more telling playmore what it should do not like it would matter. However I think if they consolidated and got rid of a few clones we COULD see some of those old characters make a comeback. However, as long as they put Kuroko back in, I'm good ;)

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
This is such great news, now I can laugh at what a idiot I was for getting the cart!

If your lucky, SNKP will halt production of the original SSV making your copy into more of a collectors item....or so I would hope for your sake.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
SeaWolf69 said:
Hah,

I agree, Kuroko was a awesome secret character!! One of my buddies still crys for Wan fu :( . Any new characters being added without having to input a code would be welcome. Although I would settle for it having english translated option. How knows, we'll see soon enough :smirk: .

I remember back in grade 9 at the arcade when Kuroko first stepped out to fight me and I swear it was like meeting jesus or something....

but seriously though, nothing like Kuroko, Mizuki, Cham Cham, or genan will make the cut since the have no updated(SS4) sprites to rip

btw, I say good riddance to Cham Cham and Genan...their high priority in-close moves drove me up the fucking wall...but it would be nice 2 see'em back though.....