Recycled CPS2 boards? Raz?

Spectre

Banned
I've just got my hands on an AvP CPS2 set and have spotted something interesting... basically the seals on the boardset have been reapplied, suggesting Capcom have repaired this board at some point or maybe changed the battery. However, the sticker on the top of the cart is peeling some (as often happens) and there is what I think is a Super SFII Turbo sticker underneath...

This isn't the first time I've come across something like this. I have an X-Men board which I bought with a D&D2 sticker on it. There were no seals on this board, suggesting for some reason someone had swapped the casing (maybe the D&D2 board died and the X-Men casing was cracked or something). Anyway, I decided to carefully remove the sticker and put it in my flyers collection, but then found a Darkstalkers sticker underneath when I removed it! I just thought this was crazy at the time, and some fool had been messing about with board casings and stickers...

Does anybody know if CPS2 boards were ever recycled? Maybe distributors exchanging their older games for newer ones, and Capcom just reprogramming the boards and slapping a new sticker on? This would seem consistant with the two examples I have seen; a Darkstalkers turned into a D&D2 and a Super Turbo turned into a AvP (although AvP is only a few months older)...

Anyway I just found it curious.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Spectre said:

Does anybody know if CPS2 boards were ever recycled? Maybe distributors exchanging their older games for newer ones, and Capcom just reprogramming the boards and slapping a new sticker on? This would seem consistant with the two examples I have seen; a Darkstalkers turned into a D&D2 and a Super Turbo turned into a AvP (although AvP is only a few months older)...

Anyway I just found it curious.

Thats pretty interesting actually and i think your theory makes total sense. Maybe when a Arcade Operator's B-Board(s) would die they would send them into Capcom and for a fee get the (then) latest and greatest CPS2 title availabe.

I have seen several CPS2 boards for sale (on ebay) with Stickers for a certain game on the B-Board where in fact the game is actually another game. Usually the name of the actual game has been written in Black over the sticker.