Speakers to use in a cab.

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
I am building a cab from scratch right now and I have been debating what speakers to use. I have found a web site that has many different brands and sizes of speakers that are shilded and I figure that I should go with a shilded instead of unshilded speakers because of the monitor.

Anyone here use unshilded speakers in their cabs with no problem? What kind of speakers do you use? What is the power handeling of the speakers you use / ohm rating. Have you ever had any problemings with clipping? Thanks for any help.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
According to the data sheets the audio output stage (HA 13001) typically runs into 4 ohms with a max of 5.5W rms at each speaker in stereo mode.
HA13001.gif

Having said this many cabs will be fitted with 8 ohm speakers, as mine are, and work perfectly OK.
So to answer the question 4 to 8 ohm speakers with a wattage rating 5 to 10 Watts would be ideal for this application.
8 ohm speakers would result in a reduced output, but it is hardly noticable compared to running into 4 ohm speakers. Who runs thier cab at full volume anyway ?
It would be a good idea to get sheilded speakers to reduce the chance of crt purity errors

Last edited:

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
I have a pair of 8 ohm 3x6 running in my other cab right now and they do the job well, but I am looking for the best sound that I can get in my new cabinet and because I a building it from the ground up I have total control over what goes into the cabinet and how it is desgined. Thanks for the info ttooddddyy.

DaemoN

Camel Slug
I have 2 x 4ohm 120W speakers in series... so I have 8ohm, total of 240W nominal power.

Works great. Unshielded, 4" x 6" (I think) oval speakers.

Sounds nice.

I might upgrade for shielded speakers with tweeters someday though!

- Daemon

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hey Guys,

I have a Super Neo 29 Candy cab that I would like to put new speakers in? Any suggestions as to where I can pick up a set? They are smaller size speakers and the mounting for it won't really allow for larger size ones? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... :cool:

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
SeaWolf69 said:
Hey Guys,

I have a Super Neo 29 Candy cab that I would like to put new speakers in? Any suggestions as to where I can pick up a set? They are smaller size speakers and the mounting for it won't really allow for larger size ones? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... :cool:

Try partsexpress.com. They have all different sizes and brands of speakers. Both shielded and unshielded. They also sell bucking maganets which can be used as a way to shield a speaker.

daarkestdeeds

Crazed MVS Addict
Interesting topic, i was thinking of replacing mine as they are rattling a little bit. Would the speakers in an electrocoin be the same as the US cabs and where do you guys get the speakers, from a car shop or normal hifi shop?

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
daarkestdeeds said:
Interesting topic, i was thinking of replacing mine as they are rattling a little bit. Would the speakers in an electrocoin be the same as the US cabs and where do you guys get the speakers, from a car shop or normal hifi shop?

You can use car speakers because I know of people who have, but you have to be careful because they are unshielded and if gotten to close to your monitor it can cause problems. Best to buy a pair of shielded speakers. You can shield a speaker's magnet a few ways by either useing a bucking magnet or shield them with mumetal which is expensive. As for what speakers you have in your cab I do not know, but if I had to guess I would say 4 ohm 4" maybe 8 ohm.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
car speakers are OK. The HA 13001 audio output amp is designed to run into 4 ohms/ per channel.