Sammy buys up rights to SNKP's intellectual properties

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Oh, and look: a little MOTW 2 (you read that right) luvin at the bottom of the article. Heh.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hard to know how to feel here. Guardedly optomistic? Clynicly depressed? Abject denial? We might have to change the name of the thread "SVC MVS Dead?" to "KOF '04 PCB Dead?" Got some dust in my eye... $%#%^ dust...

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Hard to know how to feel here. Guardedly optomistic? Clynicly depressed? Abject denial? We might have to change the name of the thread "SVC MVS Dead?" to "KOF '04 PCB Dead?" Got some dust in my eye... $%#%^ dust...

Meh, screw kof 04. move that one to Atomis.
this year it's all about MOTW 2, last blade 3 and hopefully an all new title. lets end the neo with some class.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I'm an SNK fan first and foremost so I see this as good news. The Neo had an amazing run, nobody can deny that but all good things must come to an end. The prospect of a new Fatal Fury, or Last Blade 3 makes the fanboy in me obscenely happy.

We all knew the clock was ticking on the MVS format the minute the SvC PCB came out. At least the games will stay 2D (for the most part).

Change can be a good thing.

Mike

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Saw that one coming a mile away... so now everything moves to Atomiswave... weren't we saying this about 6 months ago? ;) ANYWAY, good read, Vinh put together a nice article... going to have to share it with some friends at work in the morning.

As for my take on it... As long as Dance Rhythm Mix comes out on MVS... I'll be happy. If the Sammy/SNK games are great, I'll be shopping for an Atomiswave... however, I think I will give it some time first... don't need another Hyper or Crystal system sitting around collecting dust. In the meantime, we all have about 160 MVS/AES games to play on the Neo, so there should be no gripes about lack of software support in the future... hehe... ahh well,

-Nick

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
N o t h a p p y, although we all knew it was coming.

I hate sammy with a passion, I just hope there isnt much sammy influence at all in those new titles.

Exactly Nick, plenty of neo titles and had some nice releases in the past few years and I can live with that if things get weird on the atomiswave.

aria

Former Moderator
"Stuck" until proven otherwise.

It's late for me so I'm going to bed, in the meantime -scower the the business news, something like this will soon be reported.

G'Night

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
NeoFight said:
N o t h a p p y, although we all knew it was coming.

I hate sammy with a passion, I just hope there isnt much sammy influence at all in those new titles.

Exactly Nick, plenty of neo titles and had some nice releases in the past few years and I can live with that if things get weird on the atomiswave.
According to the article, if I'm reading it right, the influence of Sammy in the new titles is absolute. I think they mean that Sammy owns it IPs for arcade games, and will develop and produce the games themselves. SNKP will be left in charge of producing the inferior ports. Please someone tell me that I read the article wrong and that the arcade games will at least be a joint effort. Anybody. Love to be wrong here.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
According to the article, if I'm reading it right, the influence of Sammy in the new titles is absolute. I think they mean that Sammy owns it IPs for arcade games, and will develop and produce the games themselves. SNKP will be left in charge of producing the inferior ports. Please someone tell me that I read the article wrong and that the arcade games will at least be a joint effort. Anybody. Love to be wrong here.

This is exactly the same thing I'm worried about. Its awesome that we'll finally see SNK's various games on bigger, better hardware, but if this also means that SNKP will have nothing to do with its production or development, then I'm going to be royally pissed off.

Last thing we need is every SNK game to end up looking and playing like a GGXX/Dolphin Blue rip-off. Each fighting series has to retain its own unique gameplay and visual style, otherwise they might as well not even be seperate series.

KOF + GGXX sprites = barf

ikazamay

n00b
this is so sad

i just began beeing a neo fan with kof2002 and svc.i hoped to have a history with my neogeo even for three years atleast but i am just too late.this is sick

aaaaaaaahhhh fuck sammy :very_ang:

does the agreement affect the announced kof 2003 aes and the upcoming kof2004-2005 on mvs.i mean pcb

Last edited:

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
KOF + GGXX sprites = barf
yes ? you called me ?

^^

there s nothing official yet, let s wait the AOU... things can change in few weeks...

but it s bad news for MVS future for sure... 1st pcbs now that... i guess MVS can be called retrogaming platform now :/

it may be good though, because it unleashes new power for the 2D games from SNK...
if SNK playmore agrees to sell code with other the IPs then we can be happy... the 2D coders of SAMMY are quite capable, the gameplay won t be too much broken for the first releases.

If the code is not given then there might be problems with the new kof instalment for example... not in the spririt of the older ones :/

we ll see ...

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
does the agreement affect the announced kof 2003 aes

no~~ don t worry, kof2003 will come in march :)
for 2004... well maybe still PCB, depending on SNK Playmore developping or not the game actually.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
wow, i dont know if this is good news or bad news. its kinda sad though

slerch666

updyke,
I agree, this is kind of sad news.

Maybe now we will see the full retirement of the Neo Geo... :(

What would be cool is if Sammy decided to bring out their own home system to play "arcade games at home" like SNK did with the Neo Geo AES... (doubt it would ever happen, but it would be interesting...)

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
an atomicast maybe ? :) ihihi

it s good that games are coded in high level language nowadays, helps getting good ports...

i m eager to see what happens at the AOU ^^

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
This is the best news ever.

Lets just hope the SNK games retain that feel. Now we won't have to worry about moves and music getting hacked just to make more space for lamer characters and more animation.

Brad

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have gradually grown to dislike Sammy as a video game company. I enjoy Guilty Gear and all, it's just that before Sammy came along with hi-res graphics and all that, everybody was fine and dandy with the Neo. Now, especially when reading reviews of the ports, everyone complains about the low-res graphics. To me, the Neo represented an era of gaming... I feel bad that it's going to die.

But, also, when I'm looking at it; Last Blade, Garou, etc, etc, were released some 4 or 5 years ago. I don't think they can be surpassed on the current hardware in terms of look, sound, gameplay, and overall presentation.

Okay, I say fine. If this is true, bring on the Atomiswave. I'd feel much happier about this if SNKp became an inhouse developer for Sammy, or something like that, but if Sammy is taking over, what can I do? I'll just kick back, keep an eye on the releases, and hope to god that I am given plenty of good 2D fighting games in the future.

If Sammy is solely in charge of developing the games, and their take on the Last Blade series winds up looking like Guilty Gear ("Heaven or Hell... Fight!" WTF?), I'll have to start some sort of revolution to stop them. Yeah, it'll be one of those silent revolutions... me sitting in my basement getting pissed off.

PS: It isn't fair to pigeonhole Sammy just yet, I know. Maybe they are capable of pulling off different styles. Maybe the games will be even better than before. I just can't help but be a little skeptical out of fear.

EDIT: Tuned up some wonky grammar.

Last edited:

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
i thought it was hip and cool to shell SNKP and their games.. now it's hip and cool to drop a tear for their death

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
if all we get from now on is cvs2, rumble fish, new sammy brawler style pixelated sprites and 3-d bgs then i will give versus gaming in the arcades away i think...

if kof/ss/lb/ff goes crazy/wacky ggx style or even worse.. god forbid 4 player then i will give versus gaming in the arcades away i think...

if they do the games justice on better hardware then that is a step up in my book...

Fat Cat Lim 2

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It's about damn time.

And for the Neo-Geo/MVS fanboys who say that the Last Blade/Garou series can't be surpassed on current hardware. I've one thing to say to them:

Stop kidding yourselves and grow up.

You *know* it can be a whole lot better on other hardware such as Naomi/Atomiswave other than the Neo-Geo MVS/AES. Imagine, if you will. If they can already amaze us with this much on the Neo-Geo, what more on better and more powerful hardware?

Yes, this is a Neo-Geo board, but for those are still proclaiming that the Neo-Geo can pretty much do everything, you're still kidding yourself. As long as SNKP stick to the MVS, bootlegs will continue to be made, despite how many crackdowns there are.

You can continue to wail and bemoan the number of bootleggers and r0mz users but at the end of the day, your ruckus will be pointless. You know why? Because bootleggers and most r0mz users don't give a shit about the "hardcore" Neo-Geo fanbase. They'll continue to churn and download it, as long as the opportuinity for the Neo-Geo's security can be easily compromised and dumped.

The only way SNKP can do to guarantee its games from being further bootlegged in the future is to develop it for a new hardware which cannot be easily dumped. Like Naomi, or the Atomiswave.

I don't think Sammy will be stupid to completely change the designs and gameplay for the IPs for each game. For starters, they already have ex-SNK staffers working in their company, so they have experience and input. Together with collaboration from SNKP staff who's currently working on the titles, it looks promising.

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
This might be good news, as long as they release some VERY good games in a short amount of time.

They could create a hype, but when done wrong, the SNK franchises will just die in a relative short amount of time.

Let's see.