Bought a new MVS, need some help with a few things . . .

Mr.Ugly

n00b
To start off, thanks for even glancing at my post. It's nice to know that there are those out there who are willing to share what knowledge they have. Anyhow, I recently purchased a dedicated 4-Slot MVS cabinet knowing that there were some monitor problems. The previous owner informed me that the picture was a bit blue is color, but still discribed it as playable. I was hoping that the RGB simply needed adjusting, and while it helped to rid the blue from the picture, my monitor was still quite dim.(By dim I mean not well lit). The first night I plugged the machine in, I made the mentioned monitor adjustments and had it looking surprisingly good. I left the machine on all night and when I woke in the morning it seemed that my RGB adjustments had reverted themselves (The colors were screwed up again, and the picture was still dim). After browsing around on the forums and consulting with my friend, we're most certain that the problem lies in the CRT tube on the back of the monitor. I've read that it's possible to rejuvinate a CRT tube, but it seems like a task that'd be too dangerous for me to do on my own. I've inspected the tube itself, and since it's glewed to the RGB card (PCB), I don't know how to go about removing it. Any suggestions before I call a TV repair man?

My second problem is less important, but a problem none the less. On my 4-slot motherboard there is a high pitched ringing sound when you switch to the third and fourth slot. I've tested the motherboard on my friends cabinet and the ringing sound is non-existant. This leads me to believe that the problem is in my cabinet itself and not in my 4-slot motherboard. If anyone has any experience in this field, your help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for even reading this far. I really want to get this baby runnin', so any info is welcome.

-T

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The monitor sounds like a cap problem. Call a TV repair man or arcade repair guy in the area. It's a simple job if you know what you are doing, but you will need to discharge the monitor first, and that can be deadly if not done correctly. Luckily, the job is fairly straight forward and relatively cheap to have someone do.

Second, the whining is most likely a power issue. You will need a multimeter to take a few readings on the JAMMA edge. Take a look at the +5 and +12 settings and make sure they are running at the correct voltage. Make sure you do this with games in all of the slots and watch the power as the machine cycles through the games. My guess is that power is dipping low on the last two slots,

-Nick

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nice cab..though I don't know anything about monitors to I can't help there..

The high pitched ringing sound is coming from your Marquee lights..(the mother board is fine)..

I take it the 3rd and 4 th bulbs are blown out..yes..?

Open up the marquee door/take out the clear marquee holder and look at the back of the 4 card like marquee lights..(MV-ELDs.)

You will see a plug on the left side..unplug it..but make sure the driver(small PCB board) behind it doesn't fall..if you can get to that unplug that..

It's the blown Marquee lights that's making the high pitched ringing sound ..

http://www.hardmvs.com/html/marquee.htm

( I could be wrong..so take all the advise givin into consideration..)

Last edited:

Mr.Ugly

n00b
Thanks alot for the suggestions. Both you guys have some good ideas as to where the problem lies. My slot 3 and 4 marquee lights are infact burned out, so you may be on to something there Chris1. I thought that it may have been related to the power input, but I'll start with the lights and go from there. Thanks again you guys. Let me know if you've got any other ideas.

-T

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Mr.Ugly said:
Thanks alot for the suggestions. Both you guys have some good ideas as to where the problem lies. My slot 3 and 4 marquee lights are infact burned out, so you may be on to something there Chris1. I thought that it may have been related to the power input, but I'll start with the lights and go from there. Thanks again you guys. Let me know if you've got any other ideas.

-T

Cool....

Check that out and let us know how it goes..

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Cool....

Check that out and let us know how it goes..

Daryl,

Your PM box is full... in response:

Don't be... I forgot all about those darn marquee lights since I don't have dedicated standups. That was a good call there, and hopefully should solve his problem...

-Nick

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
nruva said:
Daryl,

Your PM box is full... in response:

Don't be... I forgot all about those darn marquee lights since I don't have dedicated standups. That was a good call there, and hopefully should solve his problem...

-Nick

Thanks Nick..;)

Wow!..the amount of PMs I got in the last two days filled my PM box..it said 101...
I didn't know it went over 100....

Mr.Ugly

n00b
Yeah, the buzzing sound ended up being the marquee lights afterall. I'm reeeeal stoked to have that problem solved. Thanks again. Now it's on to the monitor caps. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but it'll take some time. Until then......

-T

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Mr.Ugly said:
Yeah, the buzzing sound ended up being the marquee lights afterall. I'm reeeeal stoked to have that problem solved. Thanks again. Now it's on to the monitor caps. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but it'll take some time. Until then......

-T

I'm glad we could help...........
Your welcome,anytime..

Keep us updated on your progress.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
nruva said:
The monitor sounds like a cap problem. Call a TV repair man or arcade repair guy in the area. It's a simple job if you know what you are doing, but you will need to discharge the monitor first, and that can be deadly if not done correctly. Luckily, the job is fairly straight forward and relatively cheap to have someone do.

-Nick

Greetings,
Not to sound like a moron, but doesn't replacing the caps only fix distortions and not lighting/color issues? I thought that dimly lit monitors need to have their CRT rejuvinated?

I wish I knew more on this issue, as Mr.Ugly literally lives blocks away from myself. I adjusted his RGB and the colors were pretty good, but like he said, somehow in the morning his colors were all out of whack again. I attemted to tweak his RGB settings once more and now these awful colors are as good as it gets.

Just to lay it out on the table, how much would the repairs for getting new caps or rejuvinating a CRT go for? He has a 25" Zenith monitor, and I can't find a source online that sells cap kits for those. Also, if worst comes to worst, how much does a brand new compatible CRT go for? Thanks

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Cap kits are usually for image distortion, mostly at the edges. Like the top edge folding over to the right.

If you can't get the color right with the pots, sometimes you can use the rings on the monitor neck but:

A) It's dangerous due to high voltage

B) Often times you can make it worse rather than better.

It is possible to have one of the guns go out at which point you are looking at a new monitor. There are some TV places that will "rejuvinate" your monitor, or StarTech sells a small add on that is supposed to do the same thing but both are short term solutions.

Hope that helps.