Quick -5V Jamma Question..Needed or Required

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
To Run Jamma Boards in a Cab with a -5V line..

Is the -5v Required/but not needed... or Needed/a must..?

As if it's needed for some boards to turn on with others requiring it for some reason..

Or is it just required to play Jamma games,but the boards will turn on with out it hooked up but is needed to keep it from burning out..?
Or will some board just not turn on without it..?

Should I have a -5V line set-up for every Jamma Game I play?

When I bought my Candy Cab it was wired for MVS..Stereo.

Tonight I popped in Marvel Super Hereos/CPS2 in the Candy cab and it worked,but with no sound..
I don't have -5V in the Candy cab,though I just put one in with a plug to unplug it when not in use..

Does the CPS2 system require or need a -5v..?

I have to make a plug so I can change from Mono to Stereo for Jamma or MVS also..

What other wire changes are necessary?/Needed and or don't matter..?

Thank you..

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
some (i.e. midway) jamma boards need 5V, usually for sound.. most don't. you can leave it hooked up, as those that don't need it just don't have the -5V pin connected to anything.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
When I bought my Candy Cab it was wired for MVS..Stereo.

Tonight I popped in Marvel Super Hereos/CPS2 in the Candy cab and it worked,but with no sound..

The lack of sound on CPS2 is due to the fact that it is mono while your cab is wired for stereo. Note however that if you plug an MVS 1-slot in your cab you'd get sound from 1 speaker despite 1-slots being also mono: the reason why you don't get any sound with CPS2 is that this system (like many other) doesn't use ground as the speaker negative (with your wiring the CPS2 sp- goes to sp+ which is not a good thing). You have to switch the sound wiring accordingly when switching from MVS to CPS (or other) and vice versa...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Re: Re: Quick -5V Jamma Question..Needed or Required

MKL said:
The lack of sound on CPS2 is due to the fact that it is mono while your cab is wired for stereo. Note however that if you plug an MVS 1-slot in your cab you'd get sound from 1 speaker despite 1-slots being also mono: the reason why you don't get any sound with CPS2 is that this system (like many other) doesn't use ground as the speaker negative (with your wiring the CPS2 sp- goes to sp+ which is not a good thing). You have to switch the sound wiring accordingly when switching from MVS to CPS (or other) and vice versa...

Yes..Thank you..MKL

I printed out the Wiring harness diagrams for MVS and Jamma so I could make the changes needed..
Also checking with the wiring diagram in the CPS2s game manual..

I switched the sound wiring around,from up top in the speaker/marquee housing since it's so easy to get to.... Now I have sound...(I made the changes easy to switch back to MVS real fast)
I spent about an hour tonight playing Marvel Super Heroes..It looks really nice in the Candy Cab..

Zxxxz.jpg

Last edited: