KoF 2003 in Mexico (normal or not?)

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Well, I came back from Mexico a couple of days ago and played kof 2003. However the weird part was that the dialogues or quotes were in spanish and not in japanese. Is this normal?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
If it was Spanish it would be rare indeed. Most likely that was just "Spanrish" :loco:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
If it was Spanish it would be rare indeed. Most likely that was just "Spanrish" :loco:

Indeed, SNK's spanish translations were always pretty "interesting", but then became more rational when Playmore took over.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Does the PCB have a language option? I'm wondering why every (well, 2) arcade I've seen and played it in here have it set in Japanese? They weren't Japanese arcades, nor would I say they catered to primarily Japanese players...

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I thought the pcb's that had been released were in japanese only. I didn't check out the intro. So I don't know if the intro text was in spanish as well....

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Amano, you do know why people say engrish when speaking of the strange way english is used by the Japanese? the fact that the Japanese language has no equivelency for the letter 'l' thus it is substituted by the letter 'r'?
That's why Ralph's name being anounced sounds like Raru (which is very irritating).

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
That's why Ralph's name being anounced sounds like Raru (which is very irritating).

To be more exact, it is "Rarufu", not "Raru".

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
garbled nonsence is what it is but I concede - it is Rarufu if brought to paper (though it sounds like Raru to me:p )

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
DevilRedeemed said:
Amano, you do know why people say engrish when speaking of the strange way english is used by the Japanese? the fact that the Japanese language has no equivelency for the letter 'l' thus it is substituted by the letter 'r'?

I have no idea where the "engrish" term came from, but since the Spanish translations are even more awful than the English ones, I think it deserved a similar name. There's no "l" in Spanish, so I adapted it this way.

Now that I think of it, one of the most famous "Engrish" expressions is "VICTOLY" in Samurai Shodown. You see the L/R difference, maybe that has something to do.