All about shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Talk about shooters here.

You dont think Radiant Silvergun is good?
Think it's overhyped?
Hate R-Type's brand of gameplay?
Have a favorite shooter?

Post here.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I like Teh Shmups.

no, seriously though, I have not had a chance to try RS yet so do not ruin it for me.
I have been enjoying last resort alot this week though.

tell me, what are some of the best shooters for the saturn (beside RS and layer section). keep in mind that I also seek shmups that have aged well and are still fresh today. Thanks.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
RS I thought was overhyped until I really got into it...so if you end up playing it, give it a second chance if at first you think it sucks.

Layer section is another awesome one...

Besides those?

Everyone seems to like Battle Garegga [sp?]...but I've never played it. I do LOVE Darius Gaiden though. The music is totally fucking insane with operatic vocals and crazy techno/orchestrated music.

Then there's the Gradius Deluxe pack. a deluxe pack of my favorite series? you can't go wrong there.

then there's the salamander deluxe pack---gradius' twin. basically the same game. the salamander pack has some amazing graphics...some of the best on the saturn, IMO.

then there's donpachi and dodonpachi. donpachi suffers from shitty load times and boring [if you ask me...] gameplay. but DDP is an amazing game...especially if you're a 'score' freak.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Kid Aphex said:
RS I thought was overhyped until I really got into it...so if you end up playing it, give it a second chance if at first you think it sucks.

Layer section is another awesome one...

Besides those?

Everyone seems to like Battle Garegga [sp?]...but I've never played it. I do LOVE Darius Gaiden though. The music is totally fucking insane with operatic vocals and crazy techno/orchestrated music.

Then there's the Gradius Deluxe pack. a deluxe pack of my favorite series? you can't go wrong there.

then there's the salamander deluxe pack---gradius' twin. basically the same game. the salamander pack has some amazing graphics...some of the best on the saturn, IMO.

then there's donpachi and dodonpachi. donpachi suffers from shitty load times and boring [if you ask me...] gameplay. but DDP is an amazing game...especially if you're a 'score' freak.

:buttrock: *hugs kid A.*

What about that one everyone talks of sougyrentai or sumpin (sorry, I have been drinking). It's the one that was sought after but got a re-release recently.

BTW, you boys gotta ge6t to bed. shit, i'm drinkin just so I can get tired as I have been having trouble getting to bed early.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
lol yeah the only reason i didnt mention it is because off hand, i forget how you spell it.

its actually one of the best for the saturn. soukeygourentai? something ridiculous.

then there's thunderforce v...but i think it sucks.

there's another called blast wind, but i've never read a single review of it---only seen it for sale on ebay, etc.

batsugun is another...some people love it, some hate it.

there's all the classic "capcom generation" games also

BTW, if you haven't played Layer Section 1 [aka galactic attack in the US] you really should. its completely bad ass, and way better than LS2 because it sticks to 2D and does it amazingly well.

There's the cotton games...i think they're boring, but they've got a big following. i typically only like "ONE SPACESHIP VS THE UNIVERSE" type games...not "ONE WITCH VS A TREE"

Then there's the neo port of sonic wings...and strikers 1945 and 1945.2

Lots of good stuff...

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Kid Aphex said:
lol yeah the only reason i didnt mention it is because off hand, i forget how you spell it.

its actually one of the best for the saturn. soukeygourentai? something ridiculous.

BTW, if you haven't played Layer Section 1 [aka galactic attack in the US] you really should. its completely bad ass, and way better than LS2 because it sticks to 2D and does it amazingly well.
Lots of good stuff...

*Hugs Kid A again*

Man gonna haveta pick sogurentie (whatever) up:buttrock:

as far as LS goes: thats why i excluded that one....I own it. got it new and complete for like 5 bucks. hardcore 2-d luvin man. Period.

Oh well. Drinky drinky got me tired now so it's off to bed. night guys!:buttrock:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
-Radiant Silvergun
Unfortunately expensive, quality game w/ ace visuals, sound and gameplay. Perhaps too hyped up for its own good.

-Soukyugurentai
Dark feeling shmup. Tough as hell. Really cool

-Battle Garegga
thumbs up

-Shienryu
Bit of a Raiden clone, this one. Fun and adequately challenging.

-In the Hunt
Slowdown exists but still fun with some bad-ass looking bosses

-DoDonPachi
-Strikers 1945 Part II
-Cotton Boomerang
-Batsugun
-ThunderForce V
-ThunderForce Gold Pack 2 (TF Arcade and IV)
-Darius Gaiden
-Galactic Attack

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Steve said:

-In the Hunt
Slowdown exists but still fun with some bad-ass looking bosses

-Galactic Attack

IN THE HUNT!

I LOOOOOOVE IN THE HUNT!

SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD.

Got that for nuttin too. feels so much like a neo game.

GA AKA LS, great too.

any saturn owners W/O in gthe hunt ...GET IT NOW! much better than PS rev.

O.K.
seriously now, nighty night.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Still pretty busy with Border Down atm. Very well designed game.

Man... I know that many ppl really love the game, but I can't for the live of me find my way through Ikaruga.

It's not that I wouldn't like it, I think it's one of the most stylish and well designed shmups of the last few years, but somehow, I expected something different. Oh well, guess I'm more into shmups where the main focus is to blow things up and get big points by surviving/one credit'ing it, a la Psikyo Striker-series, etc.

I just wish ppl would stop calling action adventures and all that 3D running-around-and-getting-bored stuff while using weapons "shooter". That's like calling stuff like Speed Ball 2 a sports game just because there's a ball involved...

rimm_rs

Banned
if you want to get realy old school, axelay and un squadern are great snes shooters.

einhander for the psx is also one of the best ever, imho.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Bought Pysvariar on PS2 this week, from logging into chat and turning the PS2 on i had thew revision version beat within 10 minutes (probably less), which was very dissapointing. Having too many crdits on default is no excuse, though on later play i came to enjoy the game, even if the use of colour is TERRRIBLE and its woefully shortlived.

Could've been better,i prefer its "gimmick" to Ikaguras no question.

I don't think Ikagura is a bad game, not at all, i just really don't dig it, great graphics though:smirk:

Nomeaz1

n00b
Recently I have been spending most of my time with Pulstar and R-Type III. Both are way out of my league for difficulty, but for some reason I just can't stay away. I still haven't made it past level 4 on either game :( . If you are a fan of the R-Type school of shooters I would also suggest XMultiply on the Saturn (actual name is Arcade Gears: Image Fight and XMultiply). One of my favorite shooters on the Saturn.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
19XX
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Mars Matrix

All great shooters, everyone tells me that Progear is another good shooter, but I have yet to try it. And hell, while we're at it, let's go old school, Galga, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Legendary Wings, Vulgus, U.N. Squadron and ASTEROIDS.

1944: The Loop Master is a decent shooter, but I don't know what Capcom was thinking when they made it, 19XX is 100x better than it.

Carrier Airwing is fun, but it's nothing that you can sit there and play for a long time, you'll get sick of it after about 20-30min, you're better of playing U.N. Squadron if you want an older sideway's shooter.

Eco Fighters Ultimate Ecology is a werid as shooter, it's fun and all, but the story to the game will drive you nuts since the oold fart appears at the begining of each mission, you'll like the guns you get and the bosses are very creative.

Mars Matrix might be my favorite shooter out there, when the dificulty lv is set to the highest it gets, you've got shit flying all over the screen and you've either got to avoid it or catch it all and reflect it at the enemies. The grafix are good, the controls are great the game has a good chalange, better than most 2D shooters out there, this game is almost better than 19XX.

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Man I have always got into shooters and heres my line-up from way back to now!

Gynoug (Genesis) *oddball favourite*:loco:
Thunder Force IV (Genesis)
Hellfire (Toaplan Arcade)
Raiden (Seibu Kaihatsu arcade)
Armoured Police Batrider (Raizing arcade)
DoDonpachi (Cave arcade)
ESPRade (Cave arcade)
Guwange (Cave arcade)
Stikers 19xx all (Psikyo)
Gunbird 1 & 2 (Psikyo)

'Radiant Silvergun' is a great game, but then with it's evolution into 'Ikaruga', aside from the awesome eye candy, its never really done it for me. Just starts to bore me trying to chain enemies, it’s like a little bit of the puzzle game bit has snuck into it and it just doesn't work for me. I just love the old school "against all odds" manic shooters!!:buttrock:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Zanac.

This game rocked so hard on the NES. It was so simple, but addictive as hell.

Freelancer

Banned
I prefer shooters from the late 1980's - mid 1990's...the newer stuff like Mars Matrix and Ikaruga just doesn't do it for me.

The one game that truly deserves a port to home console is Seibu Kaihatsu's stellar VIPER PHASE 1...I've had many great memories playing this fantastic game. It looks like I'll simply have to track down the boardset in order to play this at home.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
PS rerelease of Soukyuugunrentai.

The in-between -stage animation is phenomenal.

PS2 Silpheed.

No bombs! Wonderful graphics, but no bombs! I can't handle a shooter without bombs. It's like a fighter with no special moves.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Freelancer said:
The one game that truly deserves a port to home console is Seibu Kaihatsu's stellar VIPER PHASE 1...I've had many great memories playing this fantastic game. It looks like I'll simply have to track down the boardset in order to play this at home.

Cave's Guwange also deserves a port (preferably Dreamcast, although it ain't gonna happen).

That game is a work of art.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Freelancer said:
I prefer shooters from the late 1980's - mid 1990's...the newer stuff like Mars Matrix and Ikaruga just doesn't do it for me.

it's on ebay right now.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Freelancer said:

I wondered when someone was going to mention the Raiden games. I love them all, especially Raiden Fighters. I wish Taito would get off their ass and port them to a newer console.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Geez... I think the first shooter I freaked on was Gyruss. :loco: (Actually, maybe GORF, mostly because it had different levels and the speech... or possibly Asteroids... umm...)

Anyway, I tend to prefer many of the 16 bit shooters like Gates of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, the Star Soldier series, Spriggan (series)... Umm... those are all on PCEngine. ;) Anyone access to an Amiga or an Amiga Emulator, I used to play Hybris, Battle Squadron. For AGA/CD32 there was Banshee. All the Amiga games mentionned are available on Back 2 Roots .

I like the newer shooters from the 32-bit (Saturn/PSX) to the current generations. Yet, in a way I almost feel like now that they simply try and pollute the screen with bullets and obstacles instead of meticulously plan the layout of the enemies and enemy fire. And I'm horrible at concentrating on multiple things at once, which is why I'm horrible at almost any sports video game where you have a team that's constantly moving (soccer, football). So instead of making it more fun for me, I just end up trying to look at all of the bullets and try and see those stereoscopic 3D pictograms... [Not that I could ever manage to really see those anyway.]

On the Neo, I'm partial to Pulstar. I like Blazing Star as well, but I guess I'm more into slower tactical shooters.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
tsukaesugi said:
Cave's Guwange also deserves a port (preferably Dreamcast, although it ain't gonna happen).

That game is a work of art.

I'll second tsuka's motion by stating that if Cave were to port Guwange and ESP Ra.De to a home system, ANY home system, I'd shit my pants with glee. Especially ESP Ra.DE - even though I love Guwange and my eyes bulge at how good the presentation is, ESP Ra.De is probably one of my five favorite shmups of all time. And Dangun Feveron needs a port too - S.O.S! Can't stop this feelin'!

I'm still holding out hope that Cave will bring some of these to the PS2, but it's pretty unlikely.

On the original topic: while I like RS, and think it's a really well-designed game, it's one of the most incredibly overrated shmups. Ikaruga on the other hand (and just in my opinion) deserves all the hype, because it's fucking incredible.

In terms of fave shmups, I'm mostly a Psikyo and Cave person, though Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder would be near the top of any list of my fave shmups. Playing lots of Border Down lately.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I truely enjoy shooters from the the 16-bit era to the present. The new Shikigami No Shiro 2 is truely awesome, Cave is one of my favorite developers, and my deep love for RS goes without saying.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I love shooters on 16-bit ....

Aleste
Wings of Wor
Thunderforce II - IV
Gaires
Gradius II
Axeley
Target Earth
Gate of Thunder