Rgb scart? Replace the AV cables?

Poka64

n00b
The AV cables that comes with neo geo system, those it support RGB or do I have to get me som new cables?
Can the AES system support rgb signal inbox without doing any rgb mods?
If the original cables support RGB then I would only need to get me a RGB scart end....
I tried to search for this but I didn´t find the right answer...

ShuckNasty

Mr. Big's Thug
As far as I know (not far), the NGH only outputs composite (S-Video is composite also) without modification.

I don't know if I've ever seen an NGH with a SCART mod... I think that'd look sweet.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
erm...the Neo outputs RGB out of the box: no mod needed. It is the native signal of the system. Of course you need an appropriate cable, the one with yellow/white jacks does not work as it's for composite.

Poka64

n00b
MKL said:
erm...the Neo outputs RGB out of the box: no mod needed. It is the native signal of the system. Of course you need an appropriate cable, the one with yellow/white jacks does not work as it's for composite.
I thougt so.......
Well, I have to look for a RGB cable then...

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Poka64 said:
I thougt so.......
Well, I have to look for a RGB cable then...

Note that the SNK official RGB cable has the same shape as a scart cable but is wired differently so it won't work on a scart TV.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I bought mine there too, works great ^^

Although I don't think the Neo AES has true RGB output...

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Well, I'm not too sure about that...

But I can check for sure when I get my new TV in 3 or so weeks.

I'll take a look at the difference between AV cables and my RGB cable then.

Predator

Crazed MVS Addict
MKL said:
Note that the SNK official RGB cable has the same shape as a scart cable but is wired differently so it won't work on a scart TV.

Is it only for Japanese tv's? or what kind of cable is it then?

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yup, Japan uses the same 21 pin connector as the European SCART connector but with a different pinout.

Horris

n00b
Scart Lead

Hello

I got my scart lead from raven games a while ago and never bothered using it until yesterday, I don't get much time on it these days but got my new Pochi & Nyaa kit and thought i'd have a go with the scart cable as it's supposed to be a better picture. When I bought it I got the most expensive one (£19.99 Rgb scart lead with x 2 audio cables & plug in headphone socket jack) not knowing what the difference was and thinking it must be the best, however when I plugged it in I was getting a great picture but no sound, I tried plugging the audio cables in to the front of my TV and everything I could think of but in the end went back to the standard cable and had a good game with sound. If anyone knows where I went wrong please let me know as I can't fathem it.

Cheers....

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
@ Horris :
quess, you'll have to use the headphone jack to get stereo sound through your scart cable.
the neo's av port only outputs mono sound anyway ...

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Re: Scart Lead

Horris said:
I got the most expensive one (£19.99 Rgb scart lead with x 2 audio cables & plug in headphone socket jack) not knowing what the difference was and thinking it must be the best, however when I plugged it in I was getting a great picture but no sound

Do the audio cables come out of the scart connector or out of the DIN connector? I assume the former. In that case they're probably meant to work with the stereo mod where you install separate RCA jacks in the back of the console, so the cable that you plug into those must go in the scart connector because when you select the RGB input on the TV the sound must also be through the scart (the RCA jacks some TV have only work when you select the composite/s-video input). in that case the cable that you plug into the Neo A/V port only carries video and not sound.
However, if the cable also has a headphone cable going into the scart connector you should be able to get stereo sound by plugging it into the headphone socket on the front of the console.
Does this make sense to you?

Horris

n00b
Hi

Thanks for the help and it does make perfect sense, I have just had a look at it and the stereo leads do go straight into the scart socket so like you said if I had a modded aes I would plug those in and get sound, as it is I have great picture and no sound as there is no conection for them, the headphone lead however is connected to the DIN connector and I have tried plugging this into the headphone socket on the AES and on the TV and get nothing from either.

I think I can put this down to buying the wrong cable, when I do manage to get a modded console this will come in very handy but till then I will have to stick to the standard picture.

Cheers for the help Guys.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Horris said:
I have tried plugging this into the headphone socket on the AES and on the TV and get nothing from either.
did you try to turn the volume all the way up, when you tried to use the headphone jack? you could also try to use a 3,5mm to rca (stereo) cable, if your neo isn't modded and you'll get the same signal that you'd get off of the added rca jacks. it just has to work somehow.

Horris

n00b
Fixed

Thanks for the help supergoose, I had tried it earlier today with the cable plugged into the head phone socket of the AES and tried moving the sound adjustment up and down and it didn't make a difference, however I have just tried it again with an AOF MVS cart and got sound straight away and an excellent picture, so I switched back to my Pochi & Nyaa cart and again no sound, until I pressed the start button and bingo perfect sound, So it looks like there is no sound on the start up screen and demo mode but then when you play the game it is all there.

Now i've just got to find a way of playing it in English, I bought the English MVS Kit and when it's on my Jpn AES all text is in Jpn which I can't read and no option to change language.

Looks like i'll be getting in contact with Kenny Boy soon for a new system haha.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Cheers....