Cross Hatch 4 Slot Question

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I plugged this 4 slot board in that I bought(cheap) at auction and it goes right to to Cross Hatch Screen... with carts in it that I took out of the Candy cab..
The carts are clean so that's not the problem..

I cleaned the 4 slots and get no change...

I also took off & plugged in the harness several times with no change..

I have read some topics on the same situation and I'm not really getting the info I need.
I know the Candy cabs harness and the games are ok because I plugged the 4 slot board from that cab back in and it's fine..

What causes the board to go into Cross Hatch..?

That's all I get is cross Hatch..

I pushed all the dip switches down and powered it up..It goes to RAM Test but nothing happens..(I wait 2-3 min)
What is supposed to happen..?
I press the buttons on the cab and nothing happens either.

All the Dips are up now,off.

So with clean carts/clean slots what else can I check or do..?

Is this a possible bad board or is it fixable...?

4slot.jpg

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Umm...

maybe make sure the two PCBs are pressed firmly against each other (the top and bottom pcb).

Really not too sure here, sorry :(.

EDIT: what else did you snag?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Thanks..This board has me stumped..
The boards are pressed together/one of the first things I checked.

I may take it apart and see if anything is not pressed in well.

EDIT: what else did you snag?

I had to make a list anyway so your question and another members pushed me to do it tonight..
Thanks for the push..:)
I can't find my invoice,I must of left it in the van..it would of made this list easier.
I bought a Merit Megatouch Countertop/and resold it the same day..delivered...I had an order for one so it wasn't for myself..

I bought a Touchmaster 7000 counter top...that I'm keeping..My wife loves it..(It plays real nice)
I think I need some plate that goes on the front for decoration though..(?)
C_016.jpg

Various PCB..
I need to test the PCBs before I sell them,If I can test them..
If the PCBs are testable by my means then I will show pictures of them working...otherwise I'm selling them as is..
I also have to do research on this stuff so any info is appreciated..

Victory Road PCB with Control Panel/Rotary Sticks/Buttons/Large Marquee/smaller marquee and a smaller marquee or art..

Namco Tekken 1 PCB with a red Control Panel/less the buttons and sticks...I'm not sure if the control panel is the original though...but I like the look of it..(I may use it for something)
The Metal Control panel itself looks like it's from a generic cab,,The front corners are indented like the Victory Roads control panel.,though it may be the right one,not sure..

Turtles in Time PCB
Final Lap 3 PCB
Air Inferno PCB
Operation T-Bolt PCB

Mortal Combat II PCB..It has 2 big boards and 2 small boards all hooked up together.(By Midway)
SNK Guerilla War(this board is mint)
Ms Pac Man Filter bd.
Rotary Crane bd.
1/2 Pint Frenzy bd.

3 misc control panels that came with the boards..with & without sticks and buttons..

CPSII A+ B board/Marvel Superheroes..(Something new I'm getting into)

4 Slot Mother Board with Cross hatch prob.

15-20 Large Marquees/Stuff like Vs Exitebike/Time Pilots/Super Pac Man& Pac Man/Altered Beast/NBA Jam TE..
I still have to look through them..& I still have many from last time.

I bought around 50 large Glass marquees..some were on order.(heavy shit)A real pain in the ass,but they sell..
People like to put them on the walls of their basements.
Stuff like /Players Choice/Let's Make a Deal/Lucky 7s ..etc..(I have to look through them)

I may have missed something since I put it all away..(I need a break from it..It's a lot of stuff)

I can take pictures of anything if interested in seeing what certain things look like..I just would like to test the stuff if I can before I sell any of it.

Some of it's going on Ebay/Some of it is sold,pending &,Some of it I'm keeping..

Last edited:

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
I'm kinda interested in your Turtles in Time and Tekken.

As for the MK2, that sounds weird. It normally has a CPU board(large), sound board(medium sized, has ADSP2105 chip), and sometimes has a 3rd board(medium sized) over the main board, with a ton of ROMs on it. What does the other board have?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Reznor007 said:

As for the MK2, that sounds weird. It normally has a CPU board(large), sound board(medium sized, has ADSP2105 chip), and sometimes has a 3rd board(medium sized) over the main board, with a ton of ROMs on it. What does the other board have?

I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it here..

MK2/Tekken and TT

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
If it helps here is a list of what causes the crosshatch, well there are only 3 possibilities.

1) The BIOS finds no game header or ID for every slot (this is the header at 0x100 in the game program rom).

2) The BIOS finds the header but the simple authenticity check fails (the authenticity check simply checks a set area in the game rom to see if it matches a set area in the bios).

- these 2 could be due to bad/dirty slot connections

3) The hardware port (68k writes to 0x380021) is broken. If this is the case the above 2 will fail also anyway. This port controls which slot is active however it does not default to slot 1 so when broken the 68k will see nothing where it expects to see the game code.

- im not sure how this port controls the hardware so I dont know where you will look if this is the issue.

Raz

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Razoola said:
If it helps here is a list of what causes the crosshatch, well there are only 3 possibilities.

1) The BIOS finds no game header or ID for every slot (this is the header at 0x100 in the game program rom).

2) The BIOS finds the header but the simple authenticity check fails (the authenticity check simply checks a set area in the game rom to see if it matches a set area in the bios).

- these 2 could be due to bad/dirty slot connections

3) The hardware port (68k writes to 0x380021) is broken. If this is the case the above 2 will fail also anyway. This port controls which slot is active however it does not default to slot 1 so when broken the 68k will see nothing where it expects to see the game code.

- im not sure how this port controls the hardware so I dont know where you will look if this is the issue.

Raz

Thanks Razoola..

I worked on that board all night and all I get Cross Hatch..
I put it in the Red Cab now..to see if that made any difference..(harness)

As clean as the internals look on the top board the slot connectors look brownish..
My usual cardboard nail file to the connectors doesn't seem to be working..I also cleaned the edge connector.
I have to clean the slots prongs with something else now..

On power up I get cross hatch,then by pressing the player 1 button it goes to the other menus..
I checked the sound and that's working + all the buttons are registering..
(When I press Test switch,nothing happens)

After cleaning it over and over and getting nothing..I'm going to split the two boards..

The bios chip looks plugged in correctly..

If the Bios chip was bad would I get cross hatch..
If the bios chip was out of place/not making good contact,would I get cross hatch?

Can I take a bios chip out of a 1 Slot MV-F and put iy in the 4 slot.

How do I check to see if the games have registered.?
I can't seem to get to any other menus...Is there certain Dip switch settings I should try..?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Reznor007 said:

Namco Tekken 1 PCB with a red Control Panel
SNK Guerilla War(this board is mint)

I had these out,so I took a quick pic..
I'll take the pic of the Turtles & MK2 in a few.

Note:this is a quick pic/I have not cleaned the boards if dirty yet,and will offer more pics when I sell this stuff after testing..

Tek1-GW.jpg

Adding..

Turtles in Time.
Turtles_in_Time.jpg

I come to realize that there are two Mortal Combat II boards in the box..
The top one doesn't have a bit of dirt or dust on it..the bottom board set looks like it may be missing something,if comparing it to the top.

The stuff on top in the picture is just the extra stuff/Pac man filter etc that was in the box..
I found that putting each board set in a priority mail box keeps them very nice and away from each other.
MKII_0small.jpg

MKII_x2small.jpg

I still have to take pictures of all the other stuff..

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Thanks Razoola..

If the Bios chip was bad would I get cross hatch..
If the bios chip was out of place/not making good contact,would I get cross hatch?

Can I take a bios chip out of a 1 Slot MV-F and put iy in the 4 slot.

How do I check to see if the games have registered.?
I can't seem to get to any other menus...Is there certain Dip switch settings I should try..?

The problem should not be the BIOS as that runs a crc self check before it starts looking for games.

There is no way with a normal bios to see if a game has registered but I would guess it has not. I sopose a memory viewer may help track which or the 3 problems it is, I think the 3rd is the most likley at this point.

Raz

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Your MK2 boards appear to be complete, one being a normal T-unit version, the other having a Tunit memory expansion board.

The board without the memory expansion board is missing it's power/sound cable connecting the sound and CPU boards. It's very easy to make one though.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Razoola said:
The problem should not be the BIOS as that runs a crc self check before it starts looking for games.

There is no way with a normal bios to see if a game has registered but I would guess it has not. I sopose a memory viewer may help track which or the 3 problems it is, I think the 3rd is the most likley at this point.

Raz

Is there anyway to get into any other menus besides the menus after cross hatch..

Has there been anyone has actually never been able to fix this problem..?at least here:(

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Reznor007 said:
Your MK2 boards appear to be complete, one being a normal T-unit version, the other having a Tunit memory expansion board.

The board without the memory expansion board is missing it's power/sound cable connecting the sound and CPU boards. It's very easy to make one though.

Thanks Reznor007..

Thanks for that helpfull info..

The first thing I thought when I looked at the second board was."Oh Crap,this one is missing the cable that's on the other board"..:D

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Is there anyway to get into any other menus besides the menus after cross hatch..

No there isn't, not even with the UNIVERSE BIOS. I sopose I should write a BIOS which is designed for fault finding only. Its something I have wanted to do for a while but never found the time.

Raz

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Razoola said:
No there isn't, not even with the UNIVERSE BIOS. I sopose I should write a BIOS which is designed for fault finding only. Its something I have wanted to do for a while but never found the time.

Raz

Thanks Razoola...

That fault finding BIOS would be great!!!

If you make one,but me on the list as wanting one..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Turtles in Time works..I played it until the second level..
I'll finish this game to the end then take it out of the cab..

It's a 4 player game but I can play 1or 2 player only..

Oh man I have to tell a friend about this,he absolutely loves this game..

I thought I saw this in a two player cab..I wonder if there is a setting in the test switch options to set it for a two player cabinet..

I love user friendy pcb boards..this board is small and it has a test switch on it and two easy to use volume knobs..one for left and one for right..

zz.jpg

MKII_028.jpg

he's looking at you...:tickled:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Oh,yea..the hell with that 4 slot mother board..I cleaned the slots and don't get any change..I still get cross hatch screen..

Someone wants to check it out first..otherwise I'm going to throw that sucker on Ebay..

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
The Turtles board can be 2 player, but you have to swap out the main program ROM with the 2 player version. All of the side scrolling Konami games like that are the same.

Question, I assume you've noticed the game speaks the level names as you enter them right? Does it say the name of the first level(big apple, 3am)?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Reznor007 said:
The Turtles board can be 2 player, but you have to swap out the main program ROM with the 2 player version. All of the side scrolling Konami games like that are the same.

Question, I assume you've noticed the game speaks the level names as you enter them right? Does it say the name of the first level(big apple, 3am)?

Thanks Reznor007,
Do you know where I could get the 2 player main program ROM?

Hmmm,The game says the level name huh..
I have to check that out today..

When I first turned on the board it was real loud,So I turned down the volume to almost mute...due to it being late.

I did hear them Say "Pizza Time" when they picked up a Heart shaped bonus.:D

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
If you know anyone with a ROM burner, you could just use the ROM from MAME and burn it to a chip. I don't know of anyone that regularly sells them though,