What temperature (for a home cart) is too cold for prolonged exposure

aria

Former Moderator
Remember, I'm in Minneapolis, so the temperature stays below freezing for the better part of 3 months.

This is a "what if it gets left in my car outside for a few weeks" question.

The average temp would fluctuate at about 25 F in the day and 10 at night (with bouts of several hours below -10 F or more).

What would be the consequences?

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
One huge problem is that the plastic itself could get very brittle due to the cold winter nights in MN!!! I've had plastic housings crumble after being in my Garage for a few weeks here in VA.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Yeah, I don't know...does the manual mention on any of the games?

Maybe wrap each homecart up in a sweater or something :tickled:

aria

Former Moderator
Tiptonium said:
One huge problem is that the plastic itself could get very brittle due to the cold winter nights in MN!!! I've had plastic housings crumble after being in my Garage for a few weeks here in VA.

Was the cartridge salvageable? Did it crumble because you tried to use it immediately or was it permanently damaged?

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Bobak said:
Was the cartridge salvageable? Did it crumble because you tried to use it immediately or was it permanently damaged?

Well, the plastic housing was not from a game cartridge but from some power tools that I own. The casings were not salvagable. I would not dare leave my important games out there!

I went to pick up the tool that had a large plastic pistol type grip and the entire casing just fell apart. The cold caused the plastic to be brittle.