RGB ecndoer question

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
Hey guys. I had a question

When wiring the RGB encoder (homemade) to the power block do I need to wire to Isolation transformer? I am using regular coin op power supply not Jameco console looking adapter. Appreciate all the info. Thanks.

-ToeJam

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
If you are using the AD725 which has a 5 volt supply, you could take that straight from the 5 volts on the jamma/mvs edge connect of your supergun.

I chose to use the 12 volts regulated to 5 using a 7805 regulator. imho this provides a more regulated supply voltage for the AD 725.

With a regular arcade psu the secondary will already be isolated from the mains input.

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
Well what I meant to ask was. In an arcade cabinet the isolation transformer is used for power regulation to an Arcade monitor. Do I need to wire up an Isolation transformer if I am using an RGB encoder? I appreciate the help. Toddy you are a great help to me. I just don't see how using an Arcade Power supply it is possible to make a small Supergun hehe. The damn Power Supply is a verticle beast! oh well. My first super gun will be kinda bulky :) Help me with info please read entire post.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Its slightly different here, we do not use isolation transformers as such. Cabs in countries that have 220-240 volts mains will have a step down transformer, all the cabs Ive seen here at least have monitors that run on 110 volts ac. The step down transformer acts as an isolation transformer.

With this type of psu there is no isolation transformer required

arcadepsu.JPG

110 ac in/ GND,+5,-5,12 dc out
240 ac in/ GND, +5,-5,12 dc out

Last edited:

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
ToeJam said:
Well what I meant to ask was. In an arcade cabinet the isolation transformer is used for power regulation to an Arcade monitor. Do I need to wire up an Isolation transformer if I am using an RGB encoder?

Because you are not using an arcade monitor, it would stand to reason that you won't need an isolation transformer, wouldn't it?