kof 03 system (for comp players)

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
well after a couple of hundred goes i am feeling more like ss0 challenges and less like kof 03 challenges... the game is tight (though they let the ball slip with duolon it would seem) but the system is pissing me off on occasion...

- when you tag in a partner the partner always flies on and lands beside the opponent with their attack (the attack tag not the standard one), so basically you can be halfway across the screenm they tag in their partner (sometimes which side they will come in from is confusing) and you get hit :( it is frustrating...

- the grapplers seem quite abuseable.. you can get certain bounces (dont ask me how) with the tag so the opponent lands right on you (after block bouncing) and you can throw them (watch out for daimon or clarks supers and hugeeee damage) cheesy!

- you can grapple opponents as they are automatically tagged in when one of their team dies (so you take damage, lose a character then the new character gets thrown!!!!!!!).

it might just be me needing more time to get used to it but so far my impression is, this aint as fun as 02 (or ss0) for a challenge...

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
humph.
this game will prolly need a LONG time for me to adjust fully with. i don't like only the leader can do LDM's of SCancels. no CD attacks either. bah. i need more play before i'll stop bitchin. :D

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
Just as I thinking, beelzebubble...

I'm have to wait until next week to play 03, but i was thinking in that possibilities you write about, and it seems real. That tag thing is a welcome change, but sure will cause a lot of strange things.

Can't wait to play and write above it all in the site I'm in (aofdb.cjb.net).

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
Yokunai...

Does Playmore even TEST their games?

These sound like problems that could have been EASILY caught had there been any kind of play-testing done.

Quantity over quality...:oh_no:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
OVERPOWERED GRAPPLERS?

WAY TO GO,PLAYMORE !!

back to the good old 98 days :buttrock:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Is it possible for these people to make a game that does not have these incredible balance issues?

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
sweet.
looks like 03 will be the year of the ikaris!
wish they would give clark his unblockable unbreakable running tackle back

Last edited:

JHendrix

rarehero said:
sweet.
looks like 03 will be the year of the ikaris!
wish they would give clark his unblockable unbreakable running tackle back

:oh_no:

I hate the Ikari's....

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Is it possible for these people to make a game that does not have these incredible balance issues?

well,it kinda pisses me off when i see fighting games experts like you moaning about "balance issues"

because play sfz3 and all you see are gouki,dhalsim & sakura

play sf3 ts and all you see are HUNDREDS of ken,chun li,yun

so whats the big deal about it?

every game has STRONGER / ABUSABLE characters

the only exceptions are ssfx and motw

where they're all pretty tough

i mean,hell,if not having "balance issues" means playing a game like kof 2002

ugh

no thanks

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
:oh_no:

I hate the Ikari's....

what? and you like kim and king ? :spock:

whats the matter with you ?

ralf & clark = :buttrock:

JHendrix

There's balance issues, and then there's a broken friggin game.

SvC is fucked up because of Terry, Kim, Chun Li, the hidden characters (minus dan), etc. I mean it's really really fucked up.

I mean yeah most fighters have abusable characters, but the latest SNKP games have had REAL problems with this kind fo thing. SSV is pretty bad with the new all swords guy and genjuro.

And please, SF3:TS is pretty damn balanced. Yeah people say Ken/Chun Li/Yun (in that order), but in the right hands ANY character is quite good and can handle their own. Dudley, Mikato, Urien, Hugo, Alex. They're all good, their is no "god tier" in TS. There is in MvC2 and SvC, to a rediculous sense. It's less in SSV, but still there. Hell even 2k2 has it, it just took some of us without tons of arcades around them to discover the evil of Billy and Athena (and yes, Kim).

KOF98 has issues sure, but not GAME BREAKING like in SvC. Shit, and you wonder why people PRAISE SF2X and MOTW like crazy. SF3:TS is the same way to an extent. Yeah at times they have their problems at times, but what SNKP is putting out now is pretty friggin rediculous on some of this newer stuff.

BTW, you're just angry because Kim is a god, but he's not evil like the Ikari's. Not by a long shot.

Last edited:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
as far as i am concerned there is [cheese] and [overpowered].

yoshitora is [overpowered] as is genjuro or geese in svc.

clark is [cheese] with his whiffing air attacks and landing to throws or throw supers over and over. hes also cheesy with his standing on a downed opponent and mixing up throws and combos into throws (s.hp->throw). i dislike fighting against clark.

this games major balance issue seems to be duolon who is certainly [overpowered] at this point imo the rest is kof [cheese].

my take anyways...

Sancho

Cheng's Errand Boy
beelzebubble said:

clark is [cheese] with his whiffing air attacks and landing to throws or throw supers over and over. hes also cheesy with his standing on a downed opponent and mixing up throws and combos into throws (s.hp->throw). i dislike fighting against clark.

this games major balance issue seems to be duolon who is certainly [overpowered] at this point imo the rest is kof [cheese].

my take anyways...

I always though genjuro as overpowered from since ss2(IMO). He always my fighter for when i was being beaten all the time he always put some wins back on my side of the screen.

Plus i only learnt about clark from 2k1, so i don't know the joy of '98 clark. I hear he rules.

Ramon and Vanessa is one of the most underrated set of game characters in snk line up. Vanessa is a terror for those firebal dragon punch fighters. weak agasnt grapplers. anyways thats MHO.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Thanks SNKP, now we will have people actually think before switching instead of switching 24/7. You can go play MvC if you want that.

Whatever you mentioned about the grapplers has been going on for a pretty long while so there is no surprise. Grapplers can catch you at the stupidest moments, thats how it is in KOF.

Al I know is the tiers from 2k2 (now that game had balance issues) have been made weaker and I'm pretty damn happy about that.

BTW Thanks for all the great info Beezle.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
beelzebubble said:
- the grapplers seem quite abuseable.. you can get certain bounces (dont ask me how) with the tag so the opponent lands right on you (after block bouncing) and you can throw them (watch out for daimon or clarks supers and hugeeee damage) cheesy!

- you can grapple opponents as they are automatically tagged in when one of their team dies (so you take damage, lose a character then the new character gets thrown!!!!!!!).

*smiles like the grinch*:smirk:

everyone

now

is

so

FUCKED.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Al I know is the tiers from 2k2 (now that game had balance issues) have been made weaker and I'm pretty damn happy about that.

really? imo 2k2 is a close second behind rb2 for good balance (between characters and strategies, e.g you can play defensively, offensively, run away, etc)

Geshwinne DI

Super Sidekicks 2
"I mean yeah most fighters have abusable characters, but the latest SNKP games have had REAL problems with this kind fo thing. SSV is pretty bad with the new all swords guy and genjuro. "

Hey look, Genjuro just owns on principle alone....
:cool:

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
beelzebubble said:
really? imo 2k2 is a close second behind rb2 for good balance (between characters and strategies, e.g you can play defensively, offensively, run away, etc)

yeah, i agree. if only the graphics are candy.....

JHendrix

beelzebubble said:

my take anyways...

Very good take on the situation, and a very good distinction. I still say SvC has cheese characters, I mean there comes a point where a character is so overpowered they cross over into cheese.

SvC Terry and Chun Li are there, Kim and Ken almost, and almost all the hidden characters are DEFINITELY there.

Sad thing is, at times having such broken characters in a game still makes it fun. Kinda like MvC2, but it's different with SvC. I was really hoping for SvC to be like CvS2 in the fact that it would gain some serious comp play.

Also Diavle, I'm really surprized at the MvC2 comment, I mean if you just blindly switch 24/7 you're going to get KILLED in MvC2. I mean the amount of supers that will connect off a blocked tag in with that game is insane. Let alone all the runaway infinites that could be brought out there too.

One thing I was afraid of with KOF2k3 is that it would be tag-fest 2003.

But yeah, I friggin HATE the Ikari's from playing 98 and 2k1 a lot. I mean god damn, it's like what beelz said all over again. In 98 there's overpowered (damn near everyone, to varying degrees) and then there's outright cheese with some of the graplers (Ikari's and Goro come to mind).

JHendrix

One thing I just realized, despite all this bitching, etc. One thing must be realized.

We will all play this game, we will all get good enjoyment from playing the game.

All this stuff is like a minor annoyance, really.

Geshwinne DI

Super Sidekicks 2
Much like the first in any series, these issues (though I'm sure at least some of them came up at the beta test) will probably be mended at next year's release of the game......

I still can't wait to play it!!!!!!

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
JHendrix said:
One thing I just realized, despite all this bitching, etc. One thing must be realized.

We will all play this game, we will all get good enjoyment from playing the game.

All this stuff is like a minor annoyance, really.

You still play Neo? I thought it was too old?