PDA

View Full Version : News: Neo Homebrew Site Launch

JMKurtz
01-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Well, its a slow start, but I'm opening the doors to my site.

I have more work to do, plus I need to make the actual files available, which will happen ASAP, but I need to get the ball rolling...

Go take a look if you want:

http://www.neobitz.com

Jeff

Tiptonium
01-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Cool! Great way to bring in the new year.

kc
01-02-2004, 01:31 PM
very very nice;)

Nesagwa
01-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Whats with the big gray box on the right?

djdelly
01-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Are these for the mvs or the NGH

Marco-big-bro
01-02-2004, 01:51 PM
good news, gongratulation, keep on the good work:buttrock:

JerryKurtz
01-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Nesagwa
Whats with the big gray box on the right?

The site has a fixed width to it. The empty space on the right is just empty space...

Orpheus
01-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Interesting. Nice work jeff.
God, I hope playmore doesnt see it;)
with thier new found paranoia and obsession with handing out lawsuits I feel is if I am going to have to pay a fee everytime i say neo geo or anything related to it.

whiterice
01-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Very nice website. You need to hurry up and get that Poker game out in AES format so I can play:)

Big Shady
01-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Very nice. Looking forward to the Dev section :drool_2:

MeanBeanMachine
01-02-2004, 03:47 PM
It's always amazing how Neo geo fans will foam at the mouth if it's about pirating code or artwork from their games, but as soon as it's not directly related to the Neo, it's ok with them. For your information: those icons you use on your site are copyrighted and not released for general free use. :oh_no:

VanillaThunder
01-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MeanBeanMachine
It's always amazing how Neo geo fans will foam at the mouth if it's about pirating code or artwork from their games, but as soon as it's not directly related to the Neo, it's ok with them. For your information: those icons you use on your site are copyrighted and not released for general free use. :oh_no:

:rolleyes:

MeanBeanMachine
01-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by VanillaThunder
:rolleyes:

Well, to that eloquent remark I can just reply: if it doesn't matter I'm sure it won't be a big deal to use your own art instead of stealing that of others. :shame:

Metal Fatigue
01-02-2004, 06:28 PM

Where are these icons from then? answers.

Robert Wallace
01-02-2004, 06:31 PM
I can't wait to play Pac Man on the MVS!!!

http://www.neobitz.com/Pages/Games/NeoPac.aspx

I know you have your hands very busy with all those current Homebrew Games.......and this may get a little off topic but I have had this thought in my head ever since I saw that Neo Pac game last year:

How possible is it to create a Neo Geo Multi-Cart that plays games like Pac Man, Space Invaders, Galaga.....(classics).......on the Neo MVS System?

Shawn Kelly has made quite a few of them for the Atari 5200 with an onscreen menu:

http://home.xnet.com/~skelly/52multi.htm

I would love to see some games like those come to the Neo Geo System. I know I can just get one of those and play them on Atari but I'd like to see a different Neo Version of those Classics....like that Neo Pac game.

Well good luck with your work, any idea when something may be available for us to play at home?

Regards,
Robert

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/02_08.html

Pa-Pa-Panic!!
01-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Haha, that is really funny. I am was planning to release a website about NeoGeo developing, too. But because my site is not completly finished I delayed it all the time.

I ported the GCC to create object files for the NeoGeo. I made a MAME addition to let you source level debug your programs with GDB/DDD. Currently I am working on a programming documentation and a converter for FIX and Sprite data. The converter currently supports just 16 color data.

It was really a pain to figure out in what format the Sprite data is :)

Orpheus
01-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by NeoFight

Your kidding me right?

MeanBeanMachine
01-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by NeoFight

BeOS, IP holder Palm Inc. and Yellowtab. Artist is William Bull of memeticai.com

edit: .org, not .com

SNKJorge
01-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Very nice Jeff.
Good luck to you and your new AWESOME web-site. :)

Metal Fatigue
01-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ORPHEUS
Your kidding me right?

Why would I be kidding? I have never seen them before.

Diavle18
01-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Need an art dude? Give me a shout.

JMKurtz
01-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Why are you getting so bent over a couple icons? These icons were posted on the public site www.xicons.com, and possibly many other web sites and collections... It's not like I am packaging them and reselling them.

I'm not an artist, but everything on that page beside the icons are 100% mine. If someone wants to make a couple icons for me, then great. If not, oh well. I'll create some of my own when I get a chance.

I went to the site you referenced and didn't find squat. At least when you look at this link, the house icon doesn't appear to be of this Mr. Bull's.

http://www.xicons.com/category/18/index.html

Jeff

BeOS, IP holder Palm Inc. and Yellowtab. Artist is William Bull of memeticai.com

edit: .org, not .com

JMKurtz
01-03-2004, 01:00 AM
The more help the better. Drop me a line and we can combine efforts.

Jeff

Originally posted by Pa-Pa-Panic!!
Haha, that is really funny. I am was planning to release a website about NeoGeo developing, too. But because my site is not completly finished I delayed it all the time.

I ported the GCC to create object files for the NeoGeo. I made a MAME addition to let you source level debug your programs with GDB/DDD. Currently I am working on a programming documentation and a converter for FIX and Sprite data. The converter currently supports just 16 color data.

It was really a pain to figure out in what format the Sprite data is :)

MeanBeanMachine
01-03-2004, 01:52 AM
I hope you don't mention anything should I choose to talk about Neo Geo roms when they have been posted on some site and many others. :oh_no:

K hunter
01-03-2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by JMKurtz

I have more work to do, plus I need to make the actual files available, which will happen ASAP, but I need to get the ball rolling...

Jeff

nice stuff. :buttrock: :

RVF400
01-03-2004, 07:40 AM
why doesn't someone convert street fighter 2 just for a laugh with only buttons :D

Tiptonium
01-03-2004, 07:41 AM
From http://www.xicons.com/details/594.html ...

"These icons are under GPL license. To learn more about this kind of license, please read the 'gpl.txt' inside the file. Note about GPL license: this license talk about software (or part of the software), the icons are digital files, and they will be applied as a part of softwares, so the GPL can be applied to the icons. Why i'm using this kind of license? There's a lot of confusion about copyrights in digital graphic files (in theory, if a file don't have a 'registrant', the first that upload the file on Internet, is the (C) propietary), and sometimes appears 'rippers' becuase don't find any (C) where he/she downloads the file; the GPL license is inside the file, and it acts as a (C); obviously, the GPL give the oportunity to others to enhance and distribute different versions of my icons. Please, read the license."

Whatever all of that means?!?! Gaaaaaa!!!!! Now we need lawyers for icons!

GPL = GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE. Ok?

Setsuna1982
01-03-2004, 08:17 AM
who fucking cares about icons :shame:

MeanBeanMachine
01-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Tiptonium: Just because someone releases something he has stolen under the GPL doesn't mean that it is lawful to use these wrongly released icons.

Setsuna: why care about theft at all? Someone put artistic work into it and did not want them to be free for all. Case closed. Either the same stadards are applied to all such material or there is no point in arguing against MVS bootlegs, ROMs, Movie/Music/Game/book-warez.

Tiptonium
01-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Tiptonium: Just because someone releases something he has stolen under the GPL doesn't mean that it is lawful to use these wrongly released icons.

Setsuna: why care about theft at all? Someone put artistic work into it and did not want them to be free for all. Case closed. Either the same stadards are applied to all such material or there is no point in arguing against MVS bootlegs, ROMs, Movie/Music/Game/book-warez.

Did you read the include distribution file text that was included in the downloadable file? After reading it I find no reason why the icons cannot be used. Where have you gotton your information regarding wrongfully released icons anyway?

Quote from William...

"I have drawn thousands of icons and user interface mockups for companies like QNX, Be Inc., ZeroKnowledgeSystems, IBM, AmericanExpress, and many others. I am actually a professional "icon artist" - if anyone can really have such a title, I do. Much of my work on the BeOS is now lost, as the company was purchased by Palm, Inc."

I still can't find anything that says that they were wronfully released for public use. Link please?

MeanBeanMachine
01-03-2004, 10:20 AM
They were made by Bull for Be Incorporated. The IP lies with Palm Inc after Palm bought Be. Anyone can stel artwork and claim whatever they want. Show me a document by either Palm or Be which states that they release the artwork under the GPL. If I turn your argument around I just need to take a Metal Slug 5 ROM, attach a GPL license and I can distribute it freely. :rolleyes:

MeanBeanMachine
01-03-2004, 10:21 AM
PS: you are linking the Noia theme and not the BeOS theme.

MeanBeanMachine
01-03-2004, 10:24 AM
BeOS icon copyrights, this should end the discussion (http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:E70OLu7UNEwJ:www.beincorporated.com/aboutbe/legal.html+BeOS+icons+copyright&hl=de&ie=UTF-8)

Tiptonium
01-03-2004, 10:31 AM
MeanBeanMachine...

ICON Wars... Hey, didn't Microsoft, XEROX and Apply go at it regarding similar icons?

Regardless of who ripped off who and I'm still not sure if anyone has ripped anyone in this case ... Jeff got his icon from a site that distributes icons publicly, they are not hiding from anyone. If that site is distributed ICON WAREZ then contact the proper authorities to have the site brought down.

This guy claims to be the author... http://www.carlitus.net/

MeanBeanMachine
01-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I'll just use your argumentation from now on. When someone distributes ROMs, and someone claims it's ok, I take it as that even when someone points me to a notice stating that SNK/Playmore holds the copyright. After all me as the enduser of it is not responsible in anyway, only if at all the site distributing it. Thanks, I'll go download some now.

regards,

MeanBeanMachine :oh_no:

Tiptonium
01-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I'll just use your argumentation from now on. When someone distributes ROMs, and someone claims it's ok, I take it as that even when someone points me to a notice stating that SNK/Playmore holds the copyright. After all me as the enduser of it is not responsible in anyway, only if at all the site distributing it. Thanks, I'll go download some now.

regards,

MeanBeanMachine :oh_no:

Have fun!

RabbitTroop
01-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Sheesh, whatever this thread became... Anyway, nice to see the site taking off Jeff, perhaps you may want to change the icons in the future as it makes MeanBeanMachine cry. However, I can't wait to see the dev kit and other goodies that are still to come!

-Nick

+++SLUG FLYER+++
01-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey will u release that poker game on mvs please!?!?!??!?!!?:drool:

rashid
01-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Very nice resource, thank you!

JMKurtz
01-03-2004, 03:51 PM
I've added some downloads to the site.

Jeff

RVF400
01-03-2004, 04:04 PM
i renamed the file to puzzledp but still can't get beast to work in any of my emus!, any ideas?

JMKurtz
01-03-2004, 04:22 PM
First, I would go into the mame\roms folders and create a folder named "puzzledp". Then unzip the roms into that folder. Then rename the individual rom files to 202-??.bin.

Mame will look for a folder first, then a zip file.

You will also see that my zips do not have the M1 and V1 roms yet. You will need to put in some dummy files for those.

Jeff

RVF400
01-03-2004, 04:22 PM
oh ok dummy files!, it wont use them will it?

RVF400
01-03-2004, 04:24 PM
C:\mame>mame puzzledp
202-p1.bin WRONG CRC (expected: 2b61415b found: 1f9e62a4)
202-s1.bin NOT FOUND
202-m1.bin NOT FOUND
202-v1.bin NOT FOUND
202-c1.bin WRONG LENGTH (expected: 00100000 found: 000800
202-c1.bin WRONG CRC (expected: cc0095ef found: e1974741)
202-c2.bin WRONG LENGTH (expected: 00100000 found: 000800
202-c2.bin WRONG CRC (expected: 42371307 found: 9f5b9cf6)
ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

thats what i get

RVF400
01-03-2004, 04:28 PM
ok i got it to boot now it says z80 error with a green screen

JMKurtz
01-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Opps. Redownload the "Beast" demo. :)

Jeff

RVF400
01-03-2004, 04:35 PM
no it works now but no sound, is it playable in anyway?

JMKurtz
01-03-2004, 04:41 PM
I haven't built the sound files for any of the demos yet using our new driver. I will soon, I promise.

As for the playability of Beast? Well, it's just a tech demo. I haven't recoded the whole game, just the intro. More or less a demo to get a bunch of sprites on the screen using some new mapping routines. I figured it would be better than a scrolly and a bunch of balls bouncing around the screen.

You can download Poker Night and play that one though :)

Jeff

RVF400
01-03-2004, 04:44 PM
this is so cool, so basicly you can reprogramme other games for the neo, but what kinda limit are we talking here, i mean could you for instance convert cps1 or 2 games?, or maybe megadrive/snes?, this is really intresting!

RabbitTroop
01-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Just FYI, NeoRage plays them all perfectly, simply do this:

Name all from .bin to .rom

Add the M1 and V1 chips from some random game (I used puzzledpon) and make sure they follow the same naming convention (i.e. 2000-m1.rom).

They all play perfectly! That Poker Night rocks!

-Nick

JMKurtz
01-03-2004, 07:20 PM
The more artists that help, the better...

Originally posted by Diavle18
Need an art dude? Give me a shout.

T_Smallz
01-03-2004, 07:47 PM

Jeff

Very nice Jeff. I'm definately looking forward to some nice cheap homebrew MVS carts...

Baseley09
01-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm suprised the Neo can run a game as classy as Shadow Of the Beast.

Great choice. Nice work;)

RVF400
01-03-2004, 08:08 PM
please please do sf2!, it would be so cool!

BarfHappy
01-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Jeff is THE neo-man that s all :buttrock:

I m eager to make some of my ideas real on the neo :P
waiting for the dev lib and the mvs tracker~

--
(for those trying to contact me on mail, my internet connection is dead, i can t check my home mail)

Nesagwa
01-04-2004, 11:27 AM
You know what would be cool? Match of the Millenium ported over (with characters added of course)

snkfever
01-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Baseley09
I'm suprised the Neo can run a game as classy as Shadow Of the Beast.

Great choice. Nice work;)

actually an amiga uses a motorola 68xxx cpu running at 7,xx mhz, and the neo geo a motorola 68xxx at 14 mhz.

Amiga has 4096 colors, as does the neo

So I think its prefectly possible ;)

snkfever
01-04-2004, 03:09 PM
The more artists that help, the better...

you should have a forum at your site.

kernow
01-04-2004, 03:14 PM
great work! can't wait for the lib..

Catman
01-04-2004, 08:37 PM
I'm anxious to download the MVS Tracker and the Mapper.

Great work.

JMKurtz
01-05-2004, 11:24 AM
I've added the forums to my site:

http://forums.neobitz.com

I've got more work to do on it but at least people can start creating user accounts.

Moderators and suggestions are more than welcome to make it a successful neo dev forum.

Jeff

icez
01-05-2004, 12:29 PM
nice ^^

did you try to convert your game to NGH format ?

would you be interested in homebrew inserts and sticker for your games ? :)

Crissaegrim
01-05-2004, 03:17 PM

What is up this guy's butt? Clearly Jeff has entered NGF territory since he blatantly stole three icons from a public site! Jeez. I guarantee this dude tried to talk about roms on here and got ripped apart.

Jeff- I'm a little confused. Are you going to be selling actual homebrews, or is this just an info kind of site?:blow_top:

snkfever
01-07-2004, 05:53 PM
when is the MVStracker gonna be released?

I have used trackers for a while, so I can help by doing midiconversions for your games or something like that

xRealNinjuzx
01-08-2004, 07:51 AM
I cant wait till all the devtools are up so I can start porting some of my favs ;)

Woohoo! Awesome!

-Kris

m_bish0p
01-13-2004, 03:47 PM
I can't get to the site, is it down? I've been trying to follow the links throughout this entire thread.

snkfever
01-13-2004, 04:48 PM
as a matter of fact I was there earlier today and it was up and running. Maybe the server is experiencing downtime?

NeoLord
01-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by snkfever
as a matter of fact I was there earlier today and it was up and running. Maybe the server is experiencing downtime?

I can't visit neobitz.com either but I was there earlier today and everything worked fine. I keep getting an error message that says authorization is not permitted. Hmmmmm... I wonder what is wrong?