rookie pre-made (crimp) jamma harness question for a supergun....

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
ROOKIE pre-made (crimp) jamma harness question for a supergun.... bare with me.........

Well, I have this JAMMA harness that I got for like 15 bucks... and it has crimp pins on it....so the wires are all plugged into the harness seperately...

When making supergun before I would take the power wire +5v/+12v .... and then act at the different pins on the harness with a one wire so I could take other wires and put them on the pins coming from the harness and to use them to go to other places like the controller ports....

This one has four wires on the +5v section of the harness....

So my question is..... can I hook up one of the wires to the power supply and then use the other 3 wires to connect to other things like the controller ports?

Everything is heat shinked, so I don't know if the four wires are connected.......... or is this even needed?

I have been doing it on my supergun's but really don't know.....

Will this work? Any suggestions?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
NGT said:
So my question is..... can I hook up one of the wires to the power supply and then use the other 3 wires to connect to other things like the controller ports?

It would be MUCH better to use 3 wires for power and one for the controller ports.

NGT said:
Everything is heat shinked, so I don't know if the four wires are connected.......... or is this even needed?

The wires will be connected once the harness is plugged into the board jamma connector.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
so take 3 and put them to the powersupply and split one for the two controller ports?

I have changed my mind and want to put this harness in a cab...

with the +12v.....both to the power? and all 4 for the -5v?

what about ground?

can I do the "one to the powersupply and 3 to other things" for ground?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
NGT said:
so take 3 and put them to the powersupply and split one for the two controller ports?

Yes, but I'd suggest daisy-chaining rather than splitting the wire for the controllers (wire goes to one port and from there to the other port).

NGT said:
I have changed my mind and want to put this harness in a cab...
with the +12v.....both to the power? and all 4 for the -5v?

On a jamma connector there are 2 pins for +12v and 2 pins for -5v (not 4). The current draw on these lines is never high (typically 1A or less), so if you want you can use just one wire for each voltage.

NGT said:
what about ground?

can I do the "one to the powersupply and 3 to other things" for ground?

No. What applies to +5v also applies to ground. Run at least 3 (but better 4) wires from the PSU to the ground pins on the jamma connector and use the 4 ground pins at the other end of the jamma connector for grounding stuff in the cab (controllers, test switch, etc.).

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
thanks for clearing that up for me!

DaemoN

Camel Slug
+5v and ground usually have 4 wires... on +5v, just put all 4 togheter and add a terminator to it, then hook it up to the PSU, very simple :)

- Daemon