Hmmmm ... SS0/V seems to be going fast

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
With all the hype surrounding SVCC, SSV seems to have already passed it up in sales.

Maybe I'm wrong here (maybe the NeoStore started out with more copies), but it's my guess that they both started out at 500. If that assumption is correct, then SSV has already handily outsold SVCC, even with a considerably later release date.

Any thoughts, people? Is SSV just that much better?

*looks in crystal ball, and sees a copy of SSV in his future before its numbers dip below the dangerous 20 copies left mark*

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Average Joe said:
IT'S BETTER THAN OR ON PAR WITH SSII!

It is.

OMFG the sprites are the same, whatever will I do?!?!?!?!? Hopefully the next Samurai Shodown will have all new sprites and shitty gameplay. Maybe they'll give Hanzo a new mask with some shiny spikes on it, that would be awesome.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
buttasuperb said:
It is.

OMFG the sprites are the same, whatever will I do?!?!?!?!? Hopefully the next Samurai Shodown will have all new sprites and shitty gameplay. Maybe they'll give Hanzo a new mask with some shiny spikes on it, that would be awesome.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OMG Hanzo has a new head and 1/4 of his moves!!!!

Must.....download.....rom!

Seriously man SSV is right up there is SS2 in terms of gameplay regardless of how many resued sprites and stages there are.

Think of it as SS3 and 4 remixed a la MSX.

I don't think SSV had 500 US copies made. I didn't get a feeling from the boards here that there were alot of pre-orders for this thing.

It was so close to the SvC release, that could also have hurt its pre-order numbers, not to mention sour grapes of disgruntled SVC owners declaring all Playmore stuff as shit.

I'm only guessing here, but I'd say 300 copies isn't too far fetched. On a side note, has any US cart had less than a 300 production run?

Also, SvC is still selling really well, even with all the negative press, its sold about 20 copies just this month.

Last edited:

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
buttasuperb said:
It is.

Nothing will ever please you people. :D Rehashed sprites you say?

Just speculation on my part:
I bet this game-- before it was shelved by the original SNK -- was already using rehashed sprites before Playmore picked up the torch. I'm not going to believe that Playmore is just slapping this crap together (especially in such a short period of time) -- it sounds like the newer releases (i.e. SVC:C, SSV, etc.) were already 'thrown' together to begin with and Playmore is just releasing what the old SNK left behind. In fact, I don't think Playmore is responsible for any of this. Take a look at KO2K3 -- they didn't rehash anything according to all the reports posted recently.

Hey, this would explain why each release has been scheduled so close together.

Last edited:

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
NeoLord said:
Nothing will ever please you people. :D Rehashed sprites you say?

Just speculation on my part:
I bet this game-- before it was shelved by the original SNK -- was already using rehashed sprites before Playmore picked up the torch. I'm not going to believe that Playmore is just slapping this crap together (especially in such a short span of time) -- it sounds like the newer releases (i.e. SVC:C, SSV, etc.) were already 'thrown' together to begin with and Playmore is just releasing what the old SNK left behind. In fact, I don't think Playmore is responsible for any of this.

Hey, this would explain why each release has been scheduled so close together.

Nah if that was the case then credit would be given to old SNK teams rather than Yuki.

Either way SSV proves that recycled animation doesn't = bad game.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Decepticon said:
Nah if that was the case then credit would be given to old SNK teams rather than Yuki.

Either way SSV proves that recycled animation doesn't = bad game.

Do you think credit would be given to the original team? Hmmmm... I'm not quite sure really. What about SVC? It was partially complete when SNK-P took over -- did the original team receive credit for work already rendered on the project?

Btw: I thought Yuki was comprised of ex-SS staff members? I'll have to check into it.

Oh well... :(

Last edited:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Well I have personally been getting the feeling that SNK vs Capcom Chaos and Samurai Spirits Zero were indeed partially completed by the old SNK staff before the end in 2000.

How much would have been completed?

Who knows.

But in SNK vs Capcom Chaos some of the BG's really felt like vintage SNK BG's in terms of the looks. Maybe it was just my imagination.

I also think that even if they did complete parts of the game, that SNK-P would not give credit because those individuals who worked on the game were not there to finish the game in its entirety.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:
Do you think credit would be given to the original team? Hmmmm... I'm not quite sure really. What about SVC? It was partially complete when SNK-P took over -- did the original team receive credit for work already rendered on the project?

Btw: I thought Yuki was comprised of ex-SS staff members? I'll have to check into it.

Oh well... :(

MIKE! Whats going on man?

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
MIKE! Whats going on man?

Work, Christmas shopping -- you know, the usual for this time of year.

How is school treating you?

Last edited:

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
Samurai Showdown 5 is 10xbetter than Samurai Showdown 2 will ever be!

Showdown 2 = old and boring!

Showdown 5 = new and exciting!

Believe the hype!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:
Work, Christmas shopping -- you know, the usual for this time of year.

How is school treating you?

Jus finished finals recently.
Dont know how I did, since the college I go to loves
to hold grades hostage.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
How about NO PRACTICE OR VERSUS MODE! BLARG!

For someone elses question the lowest US run was 204 copies of RotD. Though Matrimelee's numbers were not released I'm betting it was in the same area.

Mike

Setsuna1982

World Her,
SwordPlay said:

Believe the hype!

yeah... SS5 is better than one of the best fighting games ever released... i don't think so :shame:

Xenvu

Zero's Secretary
It is better but only for a few tiny reasons like the music and new chars. Otherwise its almost just like playing SS2 again.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
And is that such a problem....I mean virtually everyone heralds SS2 as one of the best fighters EVER and now we have a game that is basically just a throwback to that game and everyone seems to have such a negative outlook on it. Im personally not gonna complain. Play On everyone.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Setsuna1982 said:
yeah... SS5 is better than one of the best fighting games ever released... i don't think so :shame:

Honestly... A LOT of people think so, and I don't just mean here. I see that feeling over on Digital Press too. Someone nominated SSV for best game of the year and such, and lots of people actually vote for it.

Lastblizzle

Banned
Mayby part of it is because snk capcom 2 is already under development and people would rather buy ss5 now and the better snk vs capcom game later.
Personally i havent played either game, but out of all of playmore;s releases I would have rotd on the bottom and snk capcom just over it in second to last place. I would rather spend mega bucks on matrimele,slug 5, or ss5. snk capcom 2 will probly be a must own for everyone as i think it will be the last game made on the legendary Neo Geo.
I will definately get snk vs cap 2 and hope it will be tag team style like rage of the dragons. The last game on neo better have some fucking spectacular backgrounds.

Does it really matter what edition is better? Just play the game and enjoy yourself. Play to have fun, not to analize.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
SwordPlay said:

Believe the hype!

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm No.

B

Black King Bar

Ordered my JP copy this morning, brings stock down to {27}