AES cart opening

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
hi
im having problems with my msx cart and want to clean the inside of it(ive cleaned the contacts but im still having load and sound problems)but i dont want to damage it,so what im asking is it possiable to open an Aes cart
cheers
Trev

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
It is possible..though I don't know how..

I don't think it's an easy thing to do either..and it may require destroying parts within the cart..

(I have to do a search for old info)

Me personally..
If I ever have a problem with an AES cart..that is stubborn to work I clean the prongs with Scotch Brite or light sand paper..

I'd also try cleaning the prongs on my AES system..

laurie

Zero's Tailor
It can be done my friend but you have to be carfull
There are two loose boards inside and you shouldnt find that they get in the way.
The front of the cart has the tabs which stick out two at the bottom, two on each side and one at the top. The best way is to insert a flat head screwdriver from the front as this will push the tab down. Then if you lift gently you should be able to release the tabs. It can scratch your cart, and there is some glue on the two prong things that go through the boards but it shouldnt be too well stuck. Hope this helps

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
thanks for the help guys,is it poss to take the AES system contacts out too clean them easier

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Trevor spencer said:
hi
im having problems with my msx cart and want to clean the inside of it(ive cleaned the contacts but im still having load and sound problems)but i dont want to damage it,so what im asking is it possiable to open an Aes cart
cheers
Trev

I doubt that opening the cart to clean it will help but this is how I open a home cartridge. Since these were never intended to be re-opened you do risk damaging the casing, label and perhaps even the PCBs if you'r not extremely careful. Even then...

;)

Linky

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The best advice I can give you is to NOT tamper with the cart and send it to someone who knows what they're doing. Do not use a screw driver to pry it open either.That Plastic shell is not forgiving to sharp edge tools and your actions will be revealed..
-BB

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
ok guys i think im gonna try and clean the contacts in the machine,im to scared to damage my cart.

whats the best way to clean the contacts in the AES :help:

Last edited:

laurie

Zero's Tailor
Re: Re: AES cart opening

Thats a good point the only bit that might need cleaning, the contacts are all outside the plastic. And they are very delicate.

Tiptonium said:
I doubt that opening the cart to clean it will help but this is how I open a home cartridge. Since these were never intended to be re-opened you do risk damaging the casing, label and perhaps even the PCBs if you'r not extremely careful. Even then...

;)

Linky

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Trevor spencer said:
this were i got the idea about cleaning the insides

http://www.hardmvs.com/html/cleaning.htm

Yeah, but MVS carts have more vents than AEs carts so they're also more prone to collect dust inside (but not much anyway) and they're not closed in boxes... i'm pretty sure your cart is perfectly clean inside.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Sorry for bumping a old thread but i was having trouble getting one open to make a shell for a phantom

Well I pryed it open with my hands and it came apart beautifully... no cracks nothing broken.

This is a good thread anyways and i just wanted to add my 2 cents

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
chris1 said:
It is possible..though I don't know how..

I don't think it's an easy thing to do either..and it may require destroying parts within the cart..

(I have to do a search for old info)

Me personally..
If I ever have a problem with an AES cart..that is stubborn to work I clean the prongs with Scotch Brite or light sand paper..

I'd also try cleaning the prongs on my AES system..
Jeez man!!! light sandpaper?... thats still a little excessive!!, just use pcb cleaner... its only£2.99 a tin ...rubbed with a cotton bud and they are good as new again :D

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
hehe my old thread , i never did open up that MSX
cart i was too scared :P