External RGB encoder....

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I was looking at the following ouptuts:
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/neoav.htm

I noticed that nearly everything is incuded to run either a JROK or an AD725 encoder.......

Has anyone tried to encode the RGB output into S-Video? This would be much easier and safer than the mod. Of course the output would be dependant on the RGB quality.

The only question is, could I wire both the video ground and common gorund to pin #2?

Just wondering, I'd really like to try this...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
The only question is, could I wire both the video ground and common gorund to pin #2?

Yup

Everything you need is provided at the 8 pin din out including the +5 volts needed to power the JROK.

You could stuff the JROK in a small plastic enclosure and have a single cable run from it to a 8 pin din plug.

You could also place stereo audio jacks on the enclosure and then have another stereo audio cable run from the enclosure around to the front of the Neo and plug into the headphone jack. Basically make you own X-Neo type device.

You could probably do this for around $100 in parts and a little bit of your time.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
how much is one of those....

I'm guessing that I can build an external encoder for less than $35 in parts.

scooby105

Kula's Candy
$70-120 all depending
its easily cheaper to build one using the ad-725
or you could use the actual chip the neo uses
its in the genesis if i remember correctly
i never had any luck with the ad-725 though
i screwed something up and never got it working
i may try again with a different encoder

kbk77

n00b
Be careful if using the DIN output for your RGB source, the quality of the signal is poor on almost all home systems. Better to tap the RGB signal before it reaches the Sony CXA video chip, you will get a pure, strong signal.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I don't really see the point on this, other than you wouldn't need to open the AES and mess with it. But it would be much more expensive than the s-video mod, and probably the picture wouldn't be as good. And if you do this internally as kbk and MKL suggest, it would be almost the same trouble than doing the internal s-video mod.

Just my opinion, I'm no expert on this.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
thanks for all the help... I'm really not sure what I'm going to do......... I have a 11,035 aes/phantom system comming And I'm not sure what I'm going to do....... I want to sell it. I'm just trying to figure out how to set it apart from all thoe other sets out there.