KOF2003 first impression

deffty

Kula's Candy
Just past by my favourite arcade centre and saw Gay of fighters 2003.
oops! sorry its King of Fighters 2003. :eek_2:

Thers a quite a long of people around the game as theres the only one machine available.
My first impression was that its a new KOF using SVC game engine.

You will hear all those funny sound effect instead of the traditional bone crushing sound.

The game looks like a MVC2 game, with 3 members jumping in and out. The changing is very fast, its the same as the strikers in the previous KOF except they stay around this time to fight.

You only get to play one round, when the time run out, around 1 minute? the side with the most life bar won.
(3 life bars total up)

Good for arcade operator, bad for games.

You get to play less and players who is good at blocking can use this to the advantage.
Hit and Run, times out win. Fucking cheap!

Why I call it gay of fighters?
The new characters; ASH look like a male/female kid with red clothings, does not look cool enough to be the new hero after K

Duolon who look like a witch Amakusa male/female from SS.

Together with benimaru who wear a brownish upper clothes with leopard spots?
and the worst, King of gay is the last boss? - ADEL

She/He is a female Rugal.
Almost exaclty animated the same like rugal, a slimer body with a KING? or Blue Mary? head.
She got most of the moves of Rugal and a few new lame moves.
His/her stage is on board a plane with his/her younger sister playing piano at the back.
Very simple and worst background I ever seen for a last boss.

Ending?
I actually saw people defeating him/her(ADEL)
Using my simple understanding of Japanese;
The screen shows her sister talking about;
ADEL brother begin defeated, bla bla bla, very angry, revenge??(all in Japanese language.)
Suddenly she becomes evil. (she is very innocent at first)

Thought we get to fight her but sorry it turns to credits roll. (game over)
ADEL BROTHER?? WTF? she(ADEL) is a he??
The ending screen showing ADEL being defeated, does fucking look like a he(male/brother).

Hope I am wrong again.

(forgot to mention,there is a mid boss Kusanagi(ripped from 2K2).
He is being summom by Chizuru to fight you.
Have not seen any other bosses or mid bosses yet as nobody use the default team.
All used edited teams, maybe thats the reason why there is only Kusanagi and ADEL(gay RUGAL last boss)

I asked the owner why its in Japanese language?
all the previous game KOF2002, SS5, even MS5 is set in english language in his arcade centre.

His answer- no English language options?
He got to be kidding me??
Anybody else can confirm this?? :eek_2:
Is there really no English language options??
Is there any screen shots of winning quote in English yet?
So far I only see japanese winning quote.
Hope I am wrong again.

To be continue...............

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
deffty said:
You only get to play one round, when the time run out, around 1 minute? the side with the most life bar won.
(3 life bars total up)

all the previous game KOF2002, SS5, even MS5 is set in english language in his arcade centre.
To be continue...............

Did you also ask him about the time limits? I would imagine there's a soft dip for unlimited time or, double time, something like that. No one likes a time out.

deffty

Kula's Candy
Will ask him about the dips setting next time.
He really felt annoyed when I asked him questions, maybe its a new type Jamma board and he don't bother to study it?

Continue from previous post;

Some points which many people asked;
-Iroi is ripped from KOF2k2, the no face head with 95 sprites when moving.

-KIM is also ripped from KOF2K2 together with Blue mary, Mai, Leona, clark, ralf.
Athena with a new dress, Hinako ripped from 2K1 .

-Terry is newly redraw, together with Tizoc to suit the KOF style.
Both are very well animated.
They are not ripped as I played them many times in MOTW.

-Background- most of the stages are very plain, like SVC, a wallpaper with a few people or nothing moving at all.
Looks on par or worst with KOF2k1.

Most of the stages are either all yellow theme, all green theme , orange theme or all blue theme.
(WTF are they thinking?) :annoyed:

You won't get to see night and day in one round game this time.
They split one of the city stages into 2 background/stages; day with some people(very nice) and night, a greenish city stastic wall paper without nobody/nothing at all.
The train stage is my favourite and its the best stage in the game.

Can't hear the background music yet as its very noisey, no comments.

Gaeplay-
The game seem to have some hit detection, many combos and move do not link or hit the characters.
Hope I am wrong again.

I will going again to check it out.
Anybody want to know anything else?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Sounds like you didn't care for it. I am a bit unhappy how they beat homosexuality over our heads in this year's version. How were the graphics/sound? Anything else you can tell us?

Spike

Myloch

Super Sidekicks 2
I don't know what to think about this game...Trieu (from Snk-capcom.com), Beelze and many others said that this is overall the best kof or at least a good kof. Now this guy and few others said that probably this is the WORST kof.
...and kof2k3 backgrounds ARE NOT WALLPAPERS!!! They are very good. :angry:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
yeah the sprites are reused.. they always have been.

they have a lot more work done to them this year though, i am quite sure that they have added frames and touched up frames..

everyone know that short of a move to new hardware we arent likely to see completely new sprites, havent seen em from ss to ss, kof to kof, ff to ff, etc (engine overhauls like rb and motw are exceptions of course..)

Well doesn't this suck.

Maybe its time for SNKP to quite 2D fighters and make us more platformers, schmups, and original titles :D

mog

Bead Banger
More proof that SNK can no longer compete in the fighting game market. Even though though they're making the majority of new fighting games, their game style is getting outdated. They should stick with platformers and shooters and puzzle games. Games that they can actually make money off of since no one else is making them anymore.

SvC engine eh? Does that mean you can dodge fireballs by crouching D?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Don't be so quick to judge everything on whether it immediately wins the hearts of everybody on the forum. Just remember, the same drama happens over every single KOF release, ever. And oddly enough, almost every version, over time, has people make a major opinion change on it.

You have the people that look at graphics first, separated into different groups.

They usualy play very small bits of it, and base their initial thoughts on whether it will be a next great KOF just by counting the number of new frames of drawing they see.

1. Those counting character frames and base their opinions on what newly drawn frame count (that they notice) lands on this package.

2. Backgrounders. Those who get a major game impression just based on their rating on how the backgrounds compare to another KOF.

Then you have the people that say, "screw the graphic comparison" how does it play? Is the system a major change? What kind of different things are we expecting, and what things still work from the previous games? They sometimes separate into groups.

1. Ones that want their favorites to keep all their moves to this year, the whole thing being more is better. (Maybe they can add this move, but for crying out load, don't remove a move they had before)

2. Ones that want to see moves changed around (some to get their new animation cells, others because they played somebody a million times and welcome a change of style)

3. New fight system, new fight system. (New system excites. Love to see system change in any way possible)

4. Screw that, they should've kept the old system and tweak it instead. They changed it and I don't like it.

And pretty much every single one of these listed points has a different priority in everybody's eyes, in this forum. And if you read it right, yeah, there is no total winners. No matter what KOF you make, you're going to have people in which one of these fail due to mutual exclusion and say it's the worst KOF ever, or just not as good as this (pick a favorite KOF) here. As for me, I'm going to be happy as long as Drama like this exists for KOF. There are people who hate on 2k2, or they hate on 2k, or 2k1, or even SvsC Chaos. Or those who hate on 96 or 99. Because whether it is SNK, or SNKPlaymore; stuff like this proves that they still keep a very very important aspect which made me an SNK and KOF fan, in the first place. They aren't afraid to take risks.

Why? Because some things people call *crap* I tend to invite and welcome as a new horizon, or a challenge. Besides, with all my KOF play over the years and years, I have a tendancy to put *crap* to good use, oftentimes in ways they didn't think of. Oddly enough, the KOF more people tend to think are Kings of the block are exactly the ones that have the least amount of differences from the year before it. Tweaked for the better, episodes. Just don't have them come to me talking crap about reused animation. It's the start of a new series, and they changed the gameplay around. You are going to have haters. I predicted this on this forum at least 4-5 months ago(when it was just known that it was coming out), and I'll say it again. You're just going to have to rely on your own opinion, for this one.

Last edited:

Myloch

Super Sidekicks 2
I agree with Kirk. Everyone has got his own opinion about King of fighters episodes, 2003 not excluded.
I hate people who said kof2003 is crap without playing it...and I think is a lot of people.
Yeah...I did not play it yet but I have a good feel about it...hope to play it soon to have a definitive idea about tha game

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
Ever since I first saw screenshots of KOF 2003. I've been so excited about it!! This new leader aspect and tag batttles were such a huge changes from previous KOF tournaments that I have seen. I really look forward to playing this game soon enough. Athena 2003 never as looked any better as she changed her outfit once again. :glee:

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
2001 is probably the best culprit of people hating it at first, but then warming up to it.

god i remember when it came out and people were like AHHT EH BG's SUCK...ahh etc.

but then people loved it.

HOWEVER - if KOF isn't in english, and uses the SvC engine, there is a problem here. Also, why the fuck are the matches only a minute? I like to spend at least 3-5 on a good match.

Myloch

Super Sidekicks 2
Select match time using dipswitches
About english language...don't know.

rashid

n00b
One of the reasons I've liked SNK games is because of the many gender-bender characters. Glad to see they're still making them. Players who prefer manly men & womanly women still have the far majority of the roster to choose from. Would be great to see more tom-boys, though. As it is there's pretty much just King.

Rodi

Crossed Swords Squire
deffty said:
Why I call it gay of fighters?
The new characters; ASH look like a male/female kid with red clothings, does not look cool enough to be the new hero after K
So only cool looking characters get to be the Hero? And only those with the designs that appeal to you are accepted in KOF? and those who doesnt appeal to you, aren't?

Kyo and Iori are already meant to be teh stereotype cool looking heroes...

And K' is a badass and he owns both Kyo and Iori anyday methinks :D

So having another "cool" "badass" hero would be kinda 'BLAH" don't you think? ~_~

Give Ash a chance...I think he's unique and cool too... And by the looks of it... He's already getting used ALOT in the arcades and soon to be top tier methinks. *_*

His answer- no English language options?
He got to be kidding me??
Anybody else can confirm this?? :eek_2:
Is there really no English language options??
Is there any screen shots of winning quote in English yet?
So far I only see japanese winning quote.
Hope I am wrong again.
[/B]
The Game is a Japanese game...
These are exclusive Japanese kof 2003 imported to selected Asian countries I think. Limited too.
And US ones aren't out yet.
Which explains why the machines are there earlier than the release date and why it's not in English.

Last edited:

Myloch

Super Sidekicks 2
yeah man...obviously english language game will be out soon.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
deffty said:
My first impression was that its a new KOF using SVC game engine.

You will hear all those funny sound effect instead of the traditional bone crushing sound.

And that's exaclty where the whole story ends.
KOF = R.I.P.

SvC DOES is a piece of shit due to its totally fucked-up game engine, screwed-up hit detection, crappy in-game physics. Sounds it's just the final fly on the crapcake.

Now, KOF become the same crap.

Well, we already knew that after all. SVC was clarely 'built' using the already crappy KOF2002 as a basis. And now, KOF2003 uses SVC as a basis. That's just a damnen stinky strain.

Think I'll be going on and on playing my KOF2001 forever.

That's life, I guess.

Last edited: