SuperGun...On a Computer Monitor

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
With everyone getting and or making superguns, I was thinking of making one but displaying it on a computer monitor. I was thinking this could be for say System 246 or Naomi games. I am in the market for parts, and a nice 19" computer monitor. If anyone can help me out with with what type of computer monitor would work best and a parts list, I would greatly appreciate it!

I am a very novice electrician, but am capable of learning. I would like it to be able to play six button games and all. If someone can make a JAMMA+ cable for me, let me know.

Thanks,

GAMEFAN:D

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, a Naomi has regular VGA connector in the board, so connecting any regular computer monitor to it should be very easy, no need to make a feature for it in the supergun.

Take care that superguns are usually designed only for straight JAMMA games, with low-res and digital controls. Things other than this need to be taken care specifically, and usually each board behaves differently.

On a side note, if you want to use a computer monitor with regular JAMMA low-res games, you can use some type of device that converts RGB to VGA.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:

On a side note, if you want to use a computer monitor with regular JAMMA low-res games, you can use some type of device that converts RGB to VGA.

Just to add a bit more, these units are often called Upscan Converters and can be a bit pricey. As far as i am aware the XRGB 2+ By Micomsoft is the best one on the market. Its about 200 USD though. I'm considering getting one for christmas.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I'm running my supergun though a Hauppage WinTV card with S-Video into my computer using a program called DScaler. It kicks ass! The 17" LCD I have also pivots, even allowing me to play vertical PCBs easily.

Still, going straight RGB into an XRGB-2 (which outputs VGA) would be even cleaner.

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
PLZ NOTE:

X-RGB2 > X-RGB2+

Read more at www.gamesx.com which also carries these devices. You will need one of these if you insist on playing your games on a VGA monitor. I on the other hand would recomend you not to, but it's your choice.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
"I on the other hand would recomend you not to, but it's your choice."

Might as well emulate

PC monitors use completely different scan frequencies, to go mvs-PC vid card - PC monitor seems like a messy business.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. I was looking to play Naomi games on a VGA monitor. Is this possible without an upscan converter. I know there were some older computer monitors that were able to support 15Htz resolutions.

GAMEFAN

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
Fluff_Daddy said:
PLZ NOTE:

X-RGB2 > X-RGB2+

Read more at www.gamesx.com which also carries these devices. You will need one of these if you insist on playing your games on a VGA monitor. I on the other hand would recomend you not to, but it's your choice.

That's not entirely fair. The issue with the 2+ is the crap overlay and poor passthrough, the actual upscan electronics are just as good.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Gamefan said:
Thanks for all the replies. I was looking to play Naomi games on a VGA monitor. Is this possible without an upscan converter. I know there were some older computer monitors that were able to support 15Htz resolutions.

GAMEFAN

Naomi has a VGA port on the board so you need nothing more than any standard PC monitor.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
ttooddddyy said:
Might as well emulate

PC monitors use completely different scan frequencies, to go mvs-PC vid card - PC monitor seems like a messy business.

Actually, running the S-Video through the Hauppauge card using DScaler looks better than hooking the S-Video directly to my TV. The main reason for this is DScaler, which is an absolutly amazing program that takes the signal and handles all the de-interlacing, scaling, converting, etc. Prior to this method I was unable to get any Seibu SPI games to display properly on any TV; DScaler picks up the signal and displays it just beautifully.

Still, nothing would beat direct RGB.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Sounds good people. So far what I have is that the following support PC monitors directly:

Naomi
Atomiswave(sp?)

If I want to connect anything else, I will need some kind of converter.

GAMEFAN