some KOF 03 info/impressions

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
for some reason the game got limited release in some arcades in osaka today.

i was lucky enough to stumble on one of the arcades and had a go.

the game was right beside 02 and let me preface this opinion by saying i LOVE kof 02 but KOF 03 absolutely fucking owns 02 with its graphics. i am talking:

-frames per character
-animation
-onscreen color
-bg depth/color/movement etc
-resolution or sharpness of sprites

having compared i would not be surprised in the least if i was to find out this game is on new hardware or upgraded hardware.

it is a truly beautiful game and imo the most attractive kof to date.

it plays well is my initial impression, the new characters are cool and it feels nice and tight at this point.

hopefully i will be able to find a quiet machine in the coming days so i can sit down and solidify my impressions of the game.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Nice.

I bet I wont find a KOF 2003 in my whole city. Hell I have never seen a KOF 2002 in my city. Latest one I have seen is 01.

I am looking forward to your more intimate reports.

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Awesome!

How is the resolution/sharpness of sprites changed though? Interesting.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
How is the resolution/sharpness of sprites changed though? Interesting.

im no technical expert, i also tend to think something is new when i scrutinize a game but realize it isnt when taking a second look at an older version so.....

i am quite sure there are new frames for almost everyone though, they seem to move differently and more fluidly though, less chop.

the sprites seemed more detailed and less jaggy/vague than in 00/01/02. i would say better than 99 but if not then at least on par to my eyes.

i am not really sure of any definitive graphical improvements of course but having the two games side by side makes it very obvious how much more beautiful 03 is than 02.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
even wh2jet is aestethically less disgusting than 2002...

but then after seeing chaos...things can always get worse

anyway,i truly hope you're right,bb

i really really really really really dont want to feel let down again

i cant spend the rest of my life playing 98 - 99 and 2000

i need a new decent kof,damnit

have you seen any of those secret bosses - mid bosses ?

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
Please, forgive my lack of information but: KOF 2003 was released already, in Japan!?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I know you're trying to help us out, but I cannot help but find what you say hard to swallow when you don't even know if Iori's head or Kim's animations were fixed from old games. Furthermore, you weren't even sure that it was a problem to begin with leads me to wait for my own opinions. No offense.

With that said, I think from the vids it's quite obvious the backgrounds are the best in years. I still think 98 and 2k2 are the best KOFs I've played... so far.

Spike

EDIT: as for hardware, Trieu keeps saying somethign about new hardware or accelerated hardware when talking about '03. Not sure how that can be when it's coming to AES. Hmmm, new chip or something in the carts themselves? :help:

Last edited:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
I know you're trying to help us out, but I cannot help but find what you say hard to swallow when you don't even know if Iori's head or Kim's animations were fixed from old games. Furthermore, you weren't even sure that it was a problem to begin with leads me to wait for my own opinions. No offense.

none taken. thats the reason i preface everything 5 times so ppl dont take what i say to be gospel. i really aint that good at telling the small differences.

i know good when i see it but i cant tell the difference between ioris heads. less a lack of perception and more coz i dont much care about that sorta stuff. im purely an arcade gamer, my ngh gathers dust while i spend an hour a day in the arcades on ss0/svc and kof 02.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I can't wait for this to come out so I can actually PLAY it: IE cart form on either MVS/AES.

This pcb shit is starting to make me ill. However, whatever the reason it looks good, I'm glad. Just hope I won't have to change to all new stuff to play KOF. But, I guess I was ready to go Atomiswave for KOF....

Just make this on the MVS cart. PLEASE. :annoyed:

Spike

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
yeah... remembers me when another one was spending about one hour a day playing pachinko

rhmm rhmm don t stare at me *^^*

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, what's the story on the music and sound effects? I hear the SFX are like that of SNK vs Capcom? Is this true?

Spike

Myloch

Super Sidekicks 2
Music is not too bad but not at the kof99/2k quality level.

Myloch

Super Sidekicks 2
Oh god...if tha game rockz...I don't f*****g care about that Iori's head.

NO STYLE DM

NEST Puppet
whoo , beelze is back on track :

1. like spike said , whats the sound like , did you -by any chance- hear the music ? i mean the intro music rocked , lets hope the rest is as good .

2. did it feel like kof ? that might sound silly but i want it to feel like kof , not like.. lets say mvc .

Geshwinne DI

Super Sidekicks 2
Arigato yo beelze.....

Watashi wa beelze-san wo shinjiteimasu!!!!! Zettai desu!!!

Tsudzukete kudasai yo.

Ganbatte.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Geshwinne DI said:
Arigato yo beelze.....

Watashi wa beelze-san wo shinjiteimasu!!!!! Zettai desu!!!

Tsudzukete kudasai yo.

Ganbatte.

Continue is spelled "tsuzukette" isn't it? Yes, please continue, but give us Iori's head. I want some Iori HEAD@!!!!!!!11!!!

That is all
Spike

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
actually writting dzu is not stupid since it s not zu-‚¸ in hiragana but zu-‚à :) to avoid mixing some write dzu... not a mistake i think
i usually refer the second one as "du", same way as you input in japanese nyuuryoku engines when you don t have japanese keyboard

KO-YT

n00b
iori's hand

there is no change in iori's head guys, same as 2k2 and chaos....
whenever he walks his head turns back to the old one....same re-used set of sprites...

and btw, i dont see any major frames added to the old characters. kim's still has the most frames, it's still so obvious it doesnt make sense...

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
funny... i wonder if any customer reported the issue to snkp...
if one day i m in mood i might edit frames and send them. It worked for kof2003 main page, maybe it would work for a future game, who knows ^^

Last edited:

NO STYLE DM

NEST Puppet
if they come here they would notice right away from all the bitching , and if they cant read , they can just look at jeff bogard's sig .:make_fac:

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Nice impressions Beezlebubble:) ! I'm well envious that you're getting to play KOF2K3 now (especially knowing that I was in that great land only a few months ago:crying: )

Anyway, continue enjoying your plays of it, nice to hear the backgrounds are great and the next time I come to Japan (don't know in what capacity,but) can I stay with you? (ha ha!make_fac: :glee: )

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Cranky said:
fran i thought you called 2000 a circus.
especially with that panda.

true that :D

but i have changed my mind

i think right now 2000 is the kof i like the most right after the king,98

sue me ? :(