Newest "Stinger Report"

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Here is a copy of the most recent "Stinger Report." I find these interesting and thought some others may as well. Here it is:

1. TITLE “SNKP Considers Cartridge Option” (#254)

Stinger REPORT Skinny!

(5/12/03) SNK-Playmore sees increased sales and increased operator interest. But the company is also suffering from lost sales due to increased copyright infringement and bootlegging of illegal copies of its new hit titles. Partly hoping to fight piracy, SNKP reportedly is considering putting out its latest titles in JAMMA board format, while abandoning or heavily downplaying NeoGeo’s traditional cartridge format. The Stinger reviews the painful good news-bad news dilemma that suggests major changes could be on the horizon for the MVS platform.

(For the full story, go to the Main Report online at - www.thestingerreport.com)

Main REPORT:

The SNK-Playmore NeoGeo Multiple Videogame System (MVS) is about to celebrate its 14th year of operation in video amusement, truly a remarkable track record. But while the system finding new strength with higher sales of certain franchise titles, NeoGeo is simultaneously finding itself vulnerable to new attacks from hackers, duplicators, and intellectual property pirates. The latest (sixth) game in the still-popular Metal Slug series (released under the name ‘Metal Slug 5’) in the process of release; but this title may already have been compromised. A bootlegged ROM version of the forthcoming game is allegedly being circulated among players already – well in advance of the authorized unit’s official release. This backhanded compliment proves the game is indeed hot among fanatic SNK fans. But it also signals a return to the notorious copyboard problems that plagued coin-operated video games during the 1980s. If anything, SNKP faces a worse version of this problem. After all, during the 1980s few if any copy versions beat the legitimate coin-op games to the market!

Sources tell The Stinger Report that SNKP is considering drastic measures to fight the pirates. If the plan now reportedly under discussion is adopted, SNKP’s American subsidiary, SNKUSA, may abandon all the MVS motherboards in existence and suspend the importation of further cartridges to support American and European operators. Instead, SNKUSA would only distribute games on a JAMMA board (MVS-1a).

SNKP can’t afford to lose control over this Nazca-originated platform shooter game. Metal Slug has proven a leading game brand for SNKP. The Metal Slug series is virtually the only NeoGeo title to succeed without the street-brawler theme that highlights most other SNKP franchies, such as KoF and SSV. Indeed, both within and beyond the NeoGeo niche, Metal Slug is the only the popular cartoon platform shooter to remain in amusement contention (most of today’s popular shooting games feature ultra-realistic graphics).

So the sixth game in the series has been seen not only as an important release for the evolving SNKP operation, but a strong return on investment for the operators. Metal Slug 5 could also serve as a workhorse to establish some credibility that SNKP has the ability to release hits, repairing some bridge dented by the less than enthralling Korean developments. However for SNKP the specter of bootlegged versions that slash deep into their revenue remains real.

NeoGeo’s copyboard vulnerability surfaced four years ago, seriously damaging SNKP’s amusement sales internationally. For the first dozen years of the NeoGeo system, SNK boasted that cartridge (and hence its own profits) were protected against counterfeiters by a strong encryption code. But by 1999, it was clear this defense had been breached. Unscrupulous operators were buying Mexican or Taiwanese knockoff cartridges of popular NeoGeo MVS brands.

Continiued next post.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Cotinued

The declining NeoGeo format rebounded significantly, although never to its original popularity, with the King of Fighters updated brand, thanks to Playmore’s acquisition. But when copy pirates attacked KOF, the counterfeiting problem came to a head. The use of Korean development labor (due to cash restrictions) resulted in the unexpected dissemination of source code, that both appeared as illegal copies of KoF01 and KoF02, but also saw the Hong Kong creation of ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’, by Phenixsoft, a copy / hybrid of KoF01, which offered partially updated graphics and play in an unusual package stealing the popular film’s name - a blatant infringement marking the compromised nature of the cartridge at this point.

US subsidiary SNK NeoGeo Amusement USA (SNKUSA) - previously Electronics Entertainment International (EEI) - supporting their North American, Mexican and Latin American markets has been reticent to continue to support the compromised cartridge system. Through the final decision comes from Sun Amusement (now SNK NeoGeo) tasked with manufacture of the cartridges for the Asian sector, directing international requirements. SNKUSA and SNKP agreed to consider a JAMMA board option removing the danger of counterfeiting from the mix, but also offering the added incentive to encourage operators to remove the dated MVS motherboard and so ensure new releases were installed in their own cabinet, rather sharing space with bootlegged MVS titles.

The move has been half-hearted so far, a mixed message, as games released in North America have been seen on cartridge and JAMMA board. It would seem that the strategy was hindered as Apple Industries the previous representatives of the old SNK operation have released their licensed version of ‘Samurai Showdown V’ on a MVS cartridge able to still do this (see Stinger #212). At the same time a shortfall of JAMMA boards saw the gaps in operator orders filled by Asian cartridges, additionally diluting the plan. But the following release ‘King of Fighter 2003’ is expected to redress this situation.

What Could this all Mean:
The trade has voiced their concern to the Stinger in previous commentary regarding the miscommunication of SNKP and SNKUSA. But with a growing wave of regular releases some concerns have started to diminish – although the confusion continues.

For the loyal playing base, that comprises both owners of SNK NeoGeo Advance Entertainment System (AES) - the home version of the platform - home arcade MVS systems - and SuperGun, and JAMMA board emulators, the possibility of the demise of MVS cartridges for general international release, could be the harbinger of a removal of MVS / AES support as a whole, as SNKP eyes the more lucrative water of a wider architecture software support policy. The Stinger went to the fans themselves for their comments, approaching three of the most popular web chat rooms to solicit response to the possibility of a cartridge exit policy.

Being the bearer of such speculation was met with a mixture of derision and informative observation - as to be expected in the murky waters of the fan site forums, their skepticism extremely high, and their resentment of an industry that has let them down on occasion.

The first comments stated “…boards rather than cart releases seem not to have hindered their [SNKP] ability to move units”.

“…rapidity of ROM dumps and the subsequent bootlegging, carts may be more of a liability than an asset!”

“I am not an operator. I am not trying to make money from my copy of Matrimelee or what have you. While I may piss and moan on some BBS about not being able to enjoy the SNK-P stuff in the form factor that I would like, I am really inconsequential when it comes to moving arcade units”.

Another forum member stated “I would rather see MVS carts, but if there will only be Asian MVS carts and not English, it doesn't bother me one bit!”

“SVC as a PCB didn't slow down the dumping process one iota”.

“In fact I have my suspicions that there are already bootleg Slug 5 carts floating around based on dumps of the PCB ROMs.”

That last statement proved prophetic when during the middle of November a number of ROM emulator sites started to hint that they had bootleg versions of the latest Metal Slug 5 release, only days after the game went on Gold test at key locations. At the time of writing, the Stinger was still investigating if the proposed ROMs were a hoax or a fact, at the same time as the launch of available JAMMA MS5 boards came on stream.

Original statements by SNKP executives, made in confidence to distributors, were modified to the effect that MS5 would be the ‘last’ cartridge supported NeoGeo game, (though TSR had originally been informed that MS5 was not to be released on cartridge or kit, only to appear as such) the original statement met with derision by the loyal NeoGeo fan base. The appearance of the game in the Asian amusement market as a cartridge was however precursor by a number of JAMMA boards. Limited numbers of cartridges and a tumbling price point has however started tongues wagging towards the possibility of a MVS cartridge-free market. At the same time the launch date for the AES version of the game was moved back further to mid-February 2004 - SNKP thought to be smarting at the speed in which the bootlegs have appeared, and the tumbling cartridge price.

The need for stabilization of a product range that still has a firm following is essential, especially in a climate where this brand and additional properties are under active interests by possible suitors for the company's operation. SNKP has the launch of another (if not more so) eagerly awaited brand - ‘King of Fighters 2003’ - scheduled for the end of 2003 and it is assumed that SNKP will broker no loss in revenue generation in this case. This decision towards a JAMMA only release would seem to be backed by the release only as a JAMMA of ‘SVC: Chaos’, which though promised as a MVS after a initial JAMMA release, the date of the cartridge has been moved further and further back, in most likelihood the only cartridge release will be the consumer AES version.

The rekindled popularity of the SNK brand was witnessed by the crowds that attended the Gold version location test of KoF’03 at an American test facility – the power of the forum and word of mouth showing the loyalty of the SNK fan following. If only all video amusement test site evaluations could be this well attended, though the possibility of a resurgence in amusement popularity would seem to be mirrored in the interest in this release, and future SNKP news.

This news coming as well placed sources leaked the possibility of a major announcement with a merger, licensing and brand sharing agreement between SNKP and Sammy Corp. The parties are already deep in negotiation as covered originally by the Stinger. Market speculation is however that the industry may have to wait till May for official confirmation of the agreement. However it is expected that ATEI and AOU events in 2004 will see private meetings with distributors to soften the blow.

Will MVS games be transferred to ATOMISWAVE? Will the new AW-NET infrastructure be employed in future games for ultimate tournament action, supporting Sammy’s NEWS (New Entertainment World of Sammy) infrastructure? Both rumors have been circulating for weeks now. These rumors are currently surfacing more strongly than ever.

Watch this space!

End

Editor

www.thestingerreport.com

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
wow ^^ long to read...i don t think i ve learned anything new sadly... :/

nice effort though :) thankies

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
The cost of the Stinger Report = $45.00
Internet Connection = $40.00
Realizing the full report is simple rehash = priceless

Last edited:
I haven't had the time to keep with the Neo scene like I used to, so I enjoyed the read.

Thanks for posting!

B

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It was interesting... hehe... and I was a star in the quotes section ;) So... all good...

-Nick

+++SLUG FLYER+++

Mickey's Coach
ive never thought the phrase 'you should get out more' applied more than now. somebody please, with one of those funny pics...insert ZZZZZZzzzzzzz now!:lol: :lol:

i have to give you credit...it is an interesting read though, props.:buttrock:

Nice article,interesting read:glee: On one end it would be sad to see them not use the MVS anymore,but IMO it would be better for them to use the JAMMA board. That is just me though:p

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Just a general thought:

I don't see how the Jamma format prevents piracy when there are people who have the roms long before the games are actually released. Think about it; if these people – or pirates if you will – have MS5 in ROM format already, wouldn’t it make you curious as to how they were able to dump the game so quickly? Hell, there was supposedly a beta rom of SVC long before the game went into full circulation (i.e. when SNK was still hosting the LOKE tests in Japan), so wouldn’t it be safe to assume that these pirates may have contacts from within the company and that someone may be hand-feeding these releases to them? It seems like the only logic answer when you think about it.

Here's something to back up my theory (an excerpt from the article RyoGeo posted from the Stinger Report):

That last statement proved prophetic when during the middle of November a number of ROM emulator sites started to hint that they had bootleg versions of the latest Metal Slug 5 release, only days after the game went on Gold test at key locations.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Keep the carts coming damn you! That was a whole lot of nothing. That article went to no where.

Spike

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Spike Spiegel said:
Keep the carts coming damn you! That was a whole lot of nothing. That article went to no where.

Spike

I agree!

SNK-P would be making a big mistake if they canned the MVS / AES cartridge format. Where do they think most of their support comes from anyway? Who wants to change boards when they have a perfectly sound MVS cabinet that can accept cartridges?

I hate to be the one to say it, but piracy is a fact of life (like it or lump it) and no one has found a way to snub it out yet. In fact, I don’t think using a proprietary Jamma board is going to solve anything either.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
NeoLord said:
I agree!

SNK-P would be making a big mistake if they canned the MVS / AES cartridge format. Where do they think most of their support comes from anyway? Who wants to change boards when they have a perfectly sound MVS cabinet that can accept cartridges?

I hate to be the one to say it, but piracy is a fact of life (like it or lump it) and no one has found a way to snub it out yet. In fact, I don’t think using a proprietary Jamma board is going to solve anything either.

SVC was dumped off the JAMMA board and KOF 2003 will be dumped by the end of the year I am sure.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
SNKP is smoking rock.

Jamma isnt gonna stop piracy. It is just gonna make it harder for operators and lame for consolized MVS board owners. :mad:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
If there are no more cartridges released, the Latin American and Asian markets would not be profitable as they used to. So seeing how fast the games have been dumped. I would say the best move for SNKP would be to still make cartridges just in another system that is harder to pirate. The games will still pirated but only time will tell if the new system is hard or easy to dump.

Just a thought.....

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
RyoGeo said:
This news coming as well placed sources leaked the possibility of a major announcement with a merger, licensing and brand sharing agreement between SNKP and Sammy Corp. The parties are already deep in negotiation as covered originally by the Stinger. Market speculation is however that the industry may have to wait till May for official confirmation of the agreement. However it is expected that ATEI and AOU events in 2004 will see private meetings with distributors to soften the blow.

Hurray for the good guys. :D

This only confirms the kind of stuff Treiu was posting about "big news" coming out in March 2004.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I agree with SonGohan. It's not a matter of MVS or JAMMA PCB, but HOW they get the roms before the MVS or JAMMA be released.

And JAMMA PCB format NEVER prevented a game from been dumped. Look at MAME.

Piracy, per piracy, stay with MVS and dopn't loose the older user base. If the urge is to prevent piracy AT ALL COSTS, move to the %&%$#@$ Atomiswave.

...hey, I like Atomiswave. But neo games are supposed to be played in a neo. Or am I wrong?

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Making old school games for new school almost never works :P

Neo games of course are supposed to be played on the Neo.. but if they're on the Atomis, they won't be Neo games will they :)