NCS recieved Samurai Shodown 5

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
I just called them and they said they have recieved the game and they're processing the preorders for the English version & the Jap version wont ship untill Thursday. Did anybody preorder through at NCS? Any word on your shipment yet Shawn?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The best Neo Geo game to be released all year is in the building!

Spike

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
Damn can't wait to play this game just waiting a little longer to find out if the AES has the English story mode if not then i'm gonna buy the MVS.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Alex0916 said:
Damn can't wait to play this game just waiting a little longer to find out if the AES has the English story mode if not then i'm gonna buy the MVS.

I'd be amazed if they put English story mode in.

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
lithy said:
I'd be amazed if they put English story mode in.
I second that. I've been holding on to this money for a while now so you know the sepence is killing me.

jeff_mangum

Geese's Thug
Oh christ, the JPN insert is fucking screwed.

Jesus, the new SNK must hate JPN homecart collectors.

Shawn

snkusa.com
Alex0916 said:
Did anybody preorder through at NCS? Any word on your shipment yet Shawn?
Both shipments were at Louisville, KY at 12:49 AM this morning. NCS's shipment was not held by UPS Customhouse brokerage and was delivered at 10:23 AM today all the way in New York (Memphis is just 300 miles from Louisville).

However, any shipment that is in excess of $50,000 value (which includes every overseas shipment to NG.com from SNK) requires completion of POA forms (Power of Attorney), Bonding fees (apparently full coverage insurance isn't enough?), Merchandise processing fees, Entry prep fees, Disbursement Fees, & Duty fees.

It is impossible for new home release shipments of this magnitude to go overlooked by customs. On the bright side, all required documentation and fees were immediately taken care of with UPS this morning. Full delivery is expected to be December 10th.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
jeff_mangum said:

True that...although I don't like those borders on the US insert...but what happened to this?

jpn-cover.jpg

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Re: Re: NCS recieved Samurai Shodown 5

Shawn said:
Both shipments were at Louisville, KY at 12:49 AM this morning. NCS's shipment was not held by UPS Customhouse brokerage and was delivered at 10:23 AM today all the way in New York (Memphis is just 300 miles from Louisville).

However, any shipment that is in excess of $50,000 value (which includes every overseas shipment to NG.com from SNK) requires completion of POA forms (Power of Attorney), Bonding fees (apparently full coverage insurance isn't enough?), Merchandise processing fees, Entry prep fees, Disbursement Fees, & Duty fees.

It is impossible for new home release shipments of this magnitude to go overlooked by customs. On the bright side, all required documentation and fees were immediately taken care of with UPS this morning. Full delivery is expected to be December 10th.

Hmmm, anyway they can break up your order Shawn? It seems unfair that you will lose customers to something stupid like this, but NCSX will always have the item first and ship first because of it. There must be something SNKP can do to compensate... maybe ship NCSXs order later than yours? Since you are the official Home cart store... Maybe that is being petty, but I see you losing sales over it.

-Nick

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
Agh. 2nd release in a row where shawn secures a better cover for us collectors. What is wrong with snk japan?:(

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
Very Pissed Off

jeff_mangum said:

What the fuck did they do to the insert, that looks like shit. I am a jap home cart collector and thats just gonna like out of place if I get the English Version.

Shawn

snkusa.com
Re: Re: Re: NCS recieved Samurai Shodown 5

nruva said:
Hmmm, anyway they can break up your order Shawn? It seems unfair that you will lose customers to something stupid like this, but NCSX will always have the item first and ship first because of it. There must be something SNKP can do to compensate... maybe ship NCSXs order later than yours? Since you are the official Home cart store... Maybe that is being petty, but I see you losing sales over it.

-Nick

My goal is to deliver orders to “all” customers as fast as possible, but thanks very much for your concern.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
Someone must have told playmore,if haohmaru is not on the cover this game wont sell in japan?

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
Though I love the site and the work Shawn has done, I'm glad I pre-ordered through NCS. But I didn't get it sent fast shipping (unlike SVC) because I thought the game would be shitty quality, which is the complete opposite.

ARGH!

I'm just pissed between SVC, SSV and KOF 2003, I probably won't have a savings account anymore. And I know I'll cry once SNK/Playmore announces their next set of releases.

Geshwinne DI

Super Sidekicks 2
One of you guys with be good enough, when you get the US version, drop a line on that storyline thing for ya, if it has on, Shawn's got my money.....

Let me PM Shawn real quick too....

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
There's no way the home release has an English story mode; get over it already, guys!! ^_^;

I don't see why some of you are complaining about NCS getting their shipment first. Those of you who didn't pre-order wouldn't be able to buy it from them today anyhow, and NCS only got some of their U.S. copies in today; most people will be getting it from the shipment they get tomorrow.

It isn't like NCS always gets their games in first; The Neostore has gotten carts in days before ANY other importer (in the U.S.) has in the past. You never know.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter, because we're all going to be getting this game at least a day earlier than expected. :)

Lee

jeff_mangum

Geese's Thug
Oh fuck! NCS shipped my fucking copy!!!

JPN version, of course. So I won't be able to help with the language issue or anything.

But still, it's going to be in my sweaty hands tomorrow moring!!!:tickled: :tickled: :tickled:

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
Lyte Edge said:
Those of you who didn't pre-order wouldn't be able to buy it from them today anyhow, and NCS only got some of their U.S. copies in today; most people will be getting it from the shipment they get tomorrow.

Lee
Your wrong because if you didn't preorder you could have still ordered it and got it shipped today. Reason why I didnt' order it is because I wanted to find out if the story is in english. Yo Jeff when you get the game tomorrow please let us know if you can play the story mode in english. We all will really appreciate it especially me.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Alex, you sure they had some extras? That's generally unlike them to do that when they say the game is only shipping to pre-orders.

Mark my words: NO ENGLISH STORY MODE. If it wasn't in the MVS version, it's not on the home cart version.

Lee

Xenvu

Zero's Secretary
Man what happend to the insert on the jpn version? Looks horrible. Oh well, I can't really get the US one cause I collect the jpn carts. What a shame.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Guys, remember that the data in the cartridges themselves is IDENTICAL between the US and japanese cartridges. The only difference is the sticker, the manual and the insert. This is how its always been.

So regardless of which version cart you bought, if you're playing on a US neo, you don't get a story. If playing on a Japanese neo, you get a story in Japanese. If playing on a neo with a debug bios, you can pick whichever one you want.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
neogeo cartridge faq

Lyte Edge said:

Mark my words: NO ENGLISH STORY MODE. If it wasn't in the MVS version, it's not on the home cart version.

Lee

:mad: :( :crying: :spock:

Gentlemen,

Lee here is 100% correct.
Sadly, once a neogeo cartridge is mass produced, it is LOCKED. This fact first became well known back in 1993 during the Samurai Shodown cencorship controversy. Because of that damn senator who spearheaded the campaign of blood/violence awareness in video games (Mortal Kombat in arcades, Night Trap for Sega CD, etc.) SNK decided to alter the red blood of Samurai Spirits to a white color. When they made this decision, it was sealed. All the complaints that Chad was forced to deal with and listen to fell on deaf ears. There was NOTHING he could do about it. Reason being because ALL neogeo cartridges ALREADY have ALL versions (home/mvs/jap/us/etc) on board and programmed in the roms. The system in which you plug it into, determines what is displayed...NOT the specific orientation of the cartridge itself.

So in the case of Samurai Shodown 5, if indeed an MVS cart played with a phantom-1 on a US home cart system produces NO STORY MODE, then a HOME cartridge played on a US home system will be EXACTLY the same way. ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM FOR DOUBT! 100% GUARANTEED!

Nam 1975 & Burning Fight for example DO NOT have the "how to play" screens appear in home mode. BUT, they DO in MVS mode.

Viewpoint for example DOES NOT have a 2 player simultaneous option in home mode, but in MVS it DOES.

etc. (many many more examples I could give)

In the end, once the RUN is made...the game is DONE. However the "decision makers" placed and left the various MVS option settings, is how it will be "BURNED" in the default factory memory of the roms. It canNOT be modified or changed. In essence, the home version is made at the SAME TIME as the MVS version because the data is contained on the same roms which are used for the cartridges of ALL the countries and formats.

If they "goof" and accidentally leave only 1 life rather then 3 or 1 credit rather then 4 or 5, then your STUCK with it that way! (again unless you have a debug/mod chip installed)

Sadly this is just the way it is and we have been dealing with that since October 1990. That's why the mod was such a great thing and we have had it since basically that 1993 samsho controversy / scandal. Anyone who owns a neogeo, simply MUST have a modded console. Otherwise, your only seeing about 1/4 (sometimes even less as some euro settings can vary from us settings) of the entire game.

(case in point: Street Slam / Street Hoop / Dunk Dream)
3 different title screens, us/euro/japan for 1 game

In the end...the ONLY way to ensure a certain setting or feature is or is not activated in a particular country or mode of any cartridge is to do so BEFORE the final rom set is burned by the game programmers.

:oh_no:
Billy Pitt

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
For those who ordered SS5 from the Neostore, check your e-mail. Tracking numbers are now being sent out.

Billy, agreed 100%. When I decided to switch from Neo CD to cart back in 1996, I made sure to get a modded Neo-Geo AES; never mind being able to switch the language and settings in all games, you also get to mess with the dip switches. :)

But what sucks is that in the late 90s, it's as if SNK didn't notice that all the other game companies had stopped censoring their games and started using rating systems in the US; only the Neo-Geo has continued with the lack of blood (and Mai's bounciness) or guns (K9999 and Whip) in certain games. The blood/bounce codes found in earlier titles also disappeared.

What's even stranger is that more recent titles have introduced females just as bouncy as Mai, like Blue Mary in KOF '97, Angel in KOF 2001, and Chun-Li in SvC Chaos, yet they remain uncensored. I guess the Playmore developers and Eolith have been too lazy to change that US Mai code during development. :P

BlackReppuKen said:
So evry thing is in Japanese!?

Yes and no. As it's already been posted countless numbers of times, it all depends on what type of system you own, assuming that the game doesn't have a language option, that is.

To make this simple:

If you own a US system, you get the game in English by default. No story mode, possible censorship.

If you own a Japanese system, you get the game in Japanese by default.

BTW, obviously, not everyone is going to know about this sort of thing as there are plenty of people here who may have only recently gotten into the Neo-Geo; have any of the mods considered permanently stickying a FAQ at the top of this board that has information on carts all being the same inside, modding a system, etc.?

Lee

Last edited: