Official word on ports (From SNK Consumer)

BustAmore

New Challenger
Maybe someone can sticky this so that we don't have a thousand other threads on the same topic.

I talked with Ben Herman, president of SNK USA's Consumer Corporation and both Samurai Shodown Zero/Five and KOF2002 will be released later but only if Sony approves the games.

So basically it is like this:

The King of the Fighters 00/01: This will be released tomorrow.

Metal Slug 3: It is done but Sony has yet to approve it. So it may or may not be released.

The King of the Fighters 2002: There are plans to release it at a later date but only pending Sony's approval.

Samurai Shodown 5: There are plans to release it later but only pending Sony's approval.

If the games don't get released, its because Sony refused to allow it.:multi_co:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
They COULD just release it as unlicensed game.

But noooo they want to be license so they get carried in Wal-Mart.

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
I like the fact the the Prez is willing to answer emails directly instead of shuffling emails to lackies.

And wtf is up with Sony? My god, with their shoddy quality control how dare they not approve Slug 3 after all of this time?

BustAmore

New Challenger
Perhaps...

Perhaps if Sony doesn't approve their product they will opt for either mail order or unlicensed? Its still all up in the air and anything at this point is speculative.

Also, I agree its pretty upsetting that Sony has not yet approved Metal Slug 3. If not for Sony's approval process, Metal Slug 3 would probably be out by now.

Last edited:

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Imagine how much money they would lose if Sony denied them. Oh well, maybe they will end up supporting Gamecube and Xbox instead.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
BustAmore said:
Maybe someone can sticky this so that we don't have a thousand other threads on the same topic.

I talked with Ben Herman, president of SNK USA's Consumer Corporation and both Samurai Shodown Zero/Five and KOF2002 will be released later but only if Sony approves the games.

So basically it is like this:

The King of the Fighters 00/01: This will be released tomorrow.

Metal Slug 3: It is done but Sony has yet to approve it. So it may or may not be released.

The King of the Fighters 2002: There are plans to release it at a later date but only pending Sony's approval.

Samurai Shodown 5: There are plans to release it later but only pending Sony's approval.

If the games don't get released, its because Sony refused to allow it.:multi_co:
I know it's been said, but how can Sony let shit out like Tetris Worlds while all the SNK games have to go through a long approval process and possibly even cancelled!

G

galfordo

jaydubnb said:
And wtf is up with Sony? My god, with their shoddy quality control how dare they not approve Slug 3 after all of this time?

Yeah, really. I actually recall one developer wiping his ass with a blank cd-r and getting approval from Sony. Well actually that was probably more like a few hundred devlopers, although some were more creative about distributing their feces about the blank disc.

Now they want to question one of the best 2-d shooters of all time?

WTF??!!

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Honestly man, think about it.

You're an average uneducated gamer.
Now, which game would you rather play?

ms3.jpg

or

915018.jpg

Yes, the world is retarded.

BustAmore

New Challenger
I don't think Sony will bi-pass the opportunity to approve Metal Slug 3 for the Playstation 2. I think Sony is absolutely annoying, but I don't think they are that stupid.

Also, they have already approved The King of the Fighters 00/01, which shows they are willing to approve SNK games.

And another thing, if they are willing to approve that piece of garbage SNK vs. Capcom 2, they will approve just about anything else.

Regardless, if they refuse to release Metal Slug 3, I will likely boycott all future Sony products unless they are made by SNK/Playmore. :very_ang:

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
jaydubnb said:
I like the fact the the Prez is willing to answer emails directly instead of shuffling emails to lackies.

Probably because he doesn't HAVE any lackeys ;)

geekabilly

Mickey's Coach
Well how about a sign up thread to bring the SNK ports to the PS2??? Better yet hey SNK!!!! F**K the PS2 if they are going to pull this shit.. bring it to xbox or DC!!!!!!:make_fac:

BustAmore

New Challenger
I'd support them if they went over to the Xbox. I do think that the Xbox is a little "off", so to speak, when it comes to fighting games.

The PS2 port of Guilty Gear X-2, as strange a game as that is, is pretty darn splendiferous.

However, I do not think that will happen. SNK/Playmore, if they are to remain unified, will want their products to resemble basically the same line-up as the Japanese line-up.

For instance, if you were to compare the USA Squaresoft website with the old Japanese Squaresoft website (the new USA version compared to the old Jap version) they look almost identical as far as releases are concerned. Meaning, what was on the PS2 in Japanese is on the PS2 here.

I can understand that as well because they can simply take the Japanese version, change some regional settings, and edit the language, and you have the US version. (lets hope they do translate it, including SSV).

If they went to Xbox or Gamecube, they would have to completely re-write the software. And on another note: Neither the Gamecube or the Xbox has a really descent Pelican pad. I just picked up a PS2 pelican pad that works really well.

What I worry about though, is if Sony does not approve them, they might turn down the same road the previous SNK owners did. What caused SNK to originally crumble, so I understand, was a complete lack of communication between the Japanese and United States divisions. Until basically, the USA division was a completely seperate unit.

Also, what I cannot fathom is how Sony Computer Entertainment Japan SCEJ, completely approved the Japanese ports of Metal Slug 3 and KOF 2002, but will not automatically approve the games here.

This is a long running problem I have had with Sony. They show absolutely no concern for the hardcore gamer in the US or the Anime gamer in the US. I use to be a member of the Gamers Advisory Panel (and left for obvious reasons) and tried to express to them several times that there was a large user base in these areas but they have yet to listen.

And they will eventually suffer for it. Yet, mark my words, if they reject Metal Slug 3 or any other SNK game for that matter, after SNK struggled so hard to re-open its business in the US. I will completely disown them and I will never purchase another one of their products. To me, there would be nothing more disrespectful. I say, if they refuse the product, everyone on here starts a large boycott by writing into SCEA and complaining. Maybe then they will get the point. In fact, you know what, I am going to send them this thread.
:buttrock: :buttrock:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I have faith that we will get them. If not you can always import.

BustAmore

New Challenger
Letter to SCEA

I just sent this letter to SCEA, if I get a reply (which I am not sure I will) I will let yall know.

To whom it may concern:

The entire Neogeo community is deeply concerned about Metal Slug 3 having not yet been approved. Though we realize that the product is still in the process of being approved, we are deeply concerned about the length of time it is taking.

We would very much like your corportation to know that we support SNK and would very much like Metal Slug 3 and future SNK games to be on the Playstation 2 system.

In fact, many of us only own Playstation 2 systems because of Sony's relationship with SNK Neogeo USA Consumer: http://www.snkneogeousaconsumer.com

If there is anything at all we as customers can do to help your company see or understand what a demand this product has and how much support SNK has in America, please let me know. I would be more than happy to gather together letters, talk with someone on the phone, or whatever else it would take to support my gaming community.

Also, please refer to this thread to hear other users opinions on the same topic:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=865954#post865954

Or for even further reference, please refer to:

http://www.neo-geo.com

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide in this matter.

Sincerely,

JC10001

Zero's Secretary
Sony only approved KOF2000/2001 because it was a 2 for 1 deal. Sony only approved Space Channel 5 parts 1 & 2 for the same reason and to top it off it retails for $15. Sadly, the chances of KOF2002, SS5, or even SVCC being approved are slim to none. If SNK has to bundle KOF2002 with SVCC I wouldn't complain but they shouldn't have to jump through all of those hoops to release their games here.

BustAmore, that was a good effort, good job!

As for Sony, they are a frikin mainstream, whiteshirt wearin, powertie yankin, marketing powerhouse that is jam packed full of executives hell bent on the bottom line.

This is why I love the little game companies that could ... Treasure, Compile, SNKP, Natsume, Tecnosoft, hell maybe even Renovation Products to name a few that brought us countless original and high quality titles.

Fuck Sony if they don't let Metal Slug 3 pass through. Fuck them all.

I say someone should make a fighting game with character avatars based on game companies.

SNK vs Sony. FIGHT!

Coming soon on AES/MVS/Jamma/OPP/and on your favorite toast!

xFinnPetersx

Crazed MVS Addict
Uprock And Invigorate

Why do they need approval?

Christ... what the hell does it matter.
i mean i understand they don't want the market flooded with par to sub-par games (like what happened when videogames first hit [there was no regulation]), but since when is that what SNK produces (all opinions aside).
Sony is a company... and i'm sure it's more bureaucracy rather than being "mainstream" and wanting to kill small companies (or whatever), but fucking get your head out of your ass (sony) and just let games come out.
The recording industry has a similar problem, and so does the film industry. shit is just over-regulated. The MPAA can suck it, so can the RIAA (and others), and so can SCEA/Sony apparently. granted i'm lumping alot of problems together... but god in heaven bureaucracy ruins everything.

I hate marketing and any other reason why shit is delayed once it's finished being produced,
xFPx

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I really hope you get an answer back from Sony. I think this is bull that they won't release Metal Slug, but Mary Kate and Ashley's Magical Mall Adventure can get the green light.

I do see SNK vs Capcom getting ported, because it has Capcom in the name. So maybe Capcom should help them get the game released in the states.

Hopefully SNK will find a way to get the games onto the PS2 here in America. If they will allow bundle packs then why not bundle two or three together? As long as they get release I'll buy them to support SNK and 2D gaming.

Lumberjack

Bon Voyage! , I earned a Time Out!
Why dont they port all the slugs to X box. Mayby japs would buy the Big system with the whackest controllers ever made.:tickled: :drool_2:

BustAmore

New Challenger
And the letter...

Thank you for writing us.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but at the present time, we have not received any official
information regarding this title. We would recommend that you check out our "Games" page, as well
as some other third-party* gaming sites, for game reviews. You can perform specific searches by
genre, as well as research expected release dates and other gaming-related information:

Here is Sony Computer Entertainment America's (SCEA) "Games" page:
http://www.us.playstation.com/games

Here are some other third-party gaming sites:
http://ps2.ign.com
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/index.html
http://www.ebworld.com
http://www.primagames.com

*While we have taken great pains to select some of the best media sources in the industry, and are
happy to provide this service to you, SCEA takes no responsibility for the accuracy of the content.

If you have further questions regarding this message, please refer to your email case
number:

Paul A.
Multimedia CSR
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Consumer Services Department

Although I always have hope, did anyone really doubt this would be their response? I didn't.

I would be more than happy to continue to support my Dreamcast but I don't see SNK/Playmore releasing anymore new GD-Roms. To be honest with you, if not for SNK and a few select games, I really don't care for my Playstation 2.

I have always thought the Dreamcast made the best ports.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
form letter.

This title dies a little more each day.