KOF 2003... no MVS cart

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I can't/shouldn't say where I heard this, but it's a very trustworthy source. It seems for people (such as myself) waiting to buy the cart of 2k3 for MVS can forget about it for now. It is in fact coming out within a week or so, but on PCB only... not cart.

This is from what the source says, which I hope (but doubt) is wrong. Shit. :(

Spike

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
If SvC does finally get released on cart this month, I bet KoF 2003 will be too in the future.

It's just not gonna be a simultaneous release like MS5.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
buttasuperb said:
If SvC does finally get released on cart this month, I bet KoF 2003 will be too in the future.

It's just not gonna be a simultaneous release like MS5.

It's too damn bad, since I was saving my money to buy this, too. Shit, so much for that... for now. I'm sure it will be out, but then again, it was said by the "Source" that it's on PCB because it is somehow "special". Hope that's not true.

Spike

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
It's too damn bad, since I was saving my money to buy this, too. Shit, so much for that... for now. I'm sure it will be out, but then again, it was said by the "Source" that it's on PCB because it is somehow "special". Hope that's not true.

Spike

Well actually if its a PCB only I'd rather it have a 'special' reason like say, they updated the damn hardware.

It's what bothers me so much about SvC still not having an MVS cart, if you leave it on a dedicated board why run ancient hardware?

KOF_FANATIK

Astra Superstar
Oh well,:( I spoke with Vinh and he said it was great game. He had a chance to spend with the pcb, And he is not to sure whether or not it will be on a cart.
So maybe if the SVC cart does not come out by Januraury then i will move my store credit over to KOF2k3. Reguardless if it is a pcb or cart.

But that big ass pcb box will look weird with my KOF kits:annoyed:

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I thought this might happen. My tip off was the button layout on the US flyers.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
guys

the SvC pcb was dinky, like the size of an mvs cart.

switching the harness isn't that big of a deal, jeeze.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
c.t.h said:
guys

the SvC pcb was dinky, like the size of an mvs cart.

switching the harness isn't that big of a deal, jeeze.

Eh don't start this again, its a format thing that people like about MVS. Plus say you have an MVS board, then SvC, MS5, and KOF2k3 on PCBs you'll wear down your harness fast.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Heh, I think it'll get a cart release eventually.
Just like MS5 (and hopefully SvC).

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Maybe the 'special' thing is just the name, like the release of SvC in PCB, while SS0 was released in normal MVS, just it.

But I would be VERY glad to see the hardware updated - but I will not do any bet on this. :drool:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
1) Not surprised at all
2) I think if we ever see SvC on cart we will see KOF03 on cart later on
3) Everyone who says it is JAMMA go stuff it... can suck my cock... I am sick of people telling me what I want to purchase. No I want a cart, I don't care if it had bluetooth built in and would work from the shelf, I like the fucking carts... ok... have a nice day.
4) If it never sees a cart release I will be surprised, but that means the Editor may have been right and carts are getting phased out.

-Nick

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Can't say I'm surprised, but not entirely disappointed either. If it doesn't see a cart release I'll buy the board, no big deal there. And it's not as if I'll be buying it soon anyway, so if they do a run of cart releases later on then that's for the better.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Oh well. When I went directly to SNK awhile back, they said that SVC wouldn't come out on MVS, but then he corrected himself and said it would actually come out, just not soon. They, of course, asked me to not mention anything, but the damn company won't respond to emails, even when it's concerning an order. Going by what i've experienced, I'm going to assume that Spike's source is SNK. Let's just hope that SNK just forgot to correct themselves. I mean, it is coming out for AES on 3/11/04 so the pcb can't be anything more than MS5 and SVC was...

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
nruva said:

3) Everyone who says it is JAMMA go stuff it... can suck my cock... I am sick of people telling me what I want to purchase. No I want a cart, I don't care if it had bluetooth built in and would work from the shelf, I like the fucking carts... ok... have a nice day.
-Nick

WELL said. And I have a four slot in my candy. It's not a standard JAMMA connector, and so the board isn't goint to work perfect the way some think. It does make a huge difference that it's the cart. Hell, I have a selector swich with four games in my mvs.... why can't people understand that easy concept that it IS a big deal that it's pcb and not mvs?

Spike

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
No freak out guys, I will order my SvC and KOF2k3 from a nice site called "NGF USA"! They say that they have the carts ready to ship! I just can't wait!!! :D:D:D

WHAT!?!? They got a permanent injunction from SNK? What a pity.... and these games aren't in that list ::sighs::... :crying: :crying:

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Whether it will get a cart release or not is important to me too...
As a Phantom-1 user, I can only play MVS *carts* on my console...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Well, at least it is getting a home release, which is good. I remember the good old days that some games would ONLY get an MVS release, but now it's the other way around it seems.

Spike

tbogard99

New Challenger
Could it be possible that KOF 2003 will get released like Metal Slug 5 was? Meaning, a Jamma board for the Japanese market and MVS Cart for the US market? I'm not counting on it, but that would be a nice surprise.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
tbogard99 said:
Could it be possible that KOF 2003 will get released like Metal Slug 5 was? Meaning, a Jamma board for the Japanese market and MVS Cart for the US market? I'm not counting on it, but that would be a nice surprise.

Not sure. I don't think anyone knows anything for sure in the long run, at this point. However, I'd like to think the person that I spoke to would have said something about that if it were the case (US market and what not).

Spike

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Stifu said:
Whether it will get a cart release or not is important to me too...
As a Phantom-1 user, I can only play MVS *carts* on my console...

:spock:

I thought you could also play *AES carts* in your console... Wasn't that one of your big advantages over *true* MVS users? :rolleyes:

Well, I just don't want to repeat myself and discuss about this (been there, done that)... I still think those JAMMA boards are MVS, just a format different to the usual cart.

I prefer MVS carts all the way, personally I doubt I would get one of those PCB's unless it is for dirt cheap... But I understand SNKP's policy, although unfortunately it isn't enough to stop bootleggers.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
Yep... it must be standard MVS. i wonder why they still use the old standard 68000 on their machines. They could use a custom 68000 like SEGA did for some of their boards (and it took years before anyobody cracked the encryption scheme of these boards).

Bha i think SNK is not so much concerned about piracy else they would have done better efforts.

My bet the cart will come a bit later for south america or even USA. We ll see

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
Well if the game does not see a MVS cart I will still buy the PCB I have no problem switching out because I already do with my SvC.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Spike Spiegel said:
WELL said. And I have a four slot in my candy. It's not a standard JAMMA connector, and so the board isn't goint to work perfect the way some think. It does make a huge difference that it's the cart. Hell, I have a selector swich with four games in my mvs.... why can't people understand that easy concept that it IS a big deal that it's pcb and not mvs?

Spike

You're right it's not a JAMMA connector, it's probably going to be MVS, like SVC was. In theory KOF'03 should work just like SVC in that it's output is MVS not standard JAMMA, just like multi-slot candy cabs. But who knows, it may not be.
Not saying that they shouldn't release the cart though, I hope they do as I'd much rather have a cart (I also have a 4-slot)before a board.

How long before another war breaks out between the people justifying the purchase of a bootleg cart and the rest of the board?