a question to supergun owners

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've been wanting to get some sort of home arcade going for some time now. I'd really like to get a dedicated mvs cabinet at some point but i've been thinking a supergun might be right for me. I just think it would be a lot more flexible and easier to deal with. Plus i could buy one brand new from MAS Sys (or i could build one) and i think that would be a lot better then buying a used cab and having to do a lot of work to it. Of course with a supergun i wont get that arcade feel that i really like but i've always been more of a console man so i think i could get over that.

So what i really want to know is what other supergun owners think. Do you like playing arcade games on your tv in a more console like setting? Do you prefer playing on a supergun or a dedicated cab? I'm pretty set on a getting a supergun, but should i hold out and try and find a arcade cabinet?

Well I have a MAS Supernova that I bought a devoted SC-1000 Sakata Color monitour for, and while I think having an entire cab/upright is cool and all, look at it this way, if you go my route and buy a small high res... (this thing is Mono but my neighbor next door can hear it at half the volume, and the resolution is 8 times clearer than a regular TV and this thing was made in the 80's and is Non-VGA at that) color monitior then the need for a cab is moot. You then have mobility factor. Just box up your Supergun and move a small monitor... then it's Stop Drop, Open Up Shop wherever you are, or in this case Open up mini-arcade. Not sure this was the answer you were looking for but that's my 2 cents.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I like SuperGun setups. I currently have a 100% dedicated MVS 2 slot SuperGun (MVS Gun...heheh) and I love it. I too would like to have a cab but like most folks, space is at a premium. Tell I have a bigger place to live, a Cab is outta the question.

I like the mobility that a SuperGun gives ya. Depending on what route you plan to go, it can be anything from something slighty larger than a typical console to a bit of a bulky structure (yet still very mobile).

I also like playing my games on my 36inch toshiba tv. Plugged in via Svideo, I get a fantastic picture from the JROK encoder in my MVS SuperGun. I also have an Amiga 1080 RGB monitor that I can use for testing.

Time for me to whore out my website. Visit <a href="http://www.corrosivelove.net/gallery" target="_blank">The SuperGun Repository!</a> This is my project website that basically aims to show off and display SuperGun style devices.

:D

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah i was kinda thinking along the same lines as you were. Smaller setup, mobility. Not as much of a hassle right now.

To be honest The Supergun repository actually got me thinking about getting a supergun. I think i'd like to also try and make a "consolized" mvs one day too.

Oh and one more thing. If i get a supergun what MVS mobo (one slot should i get) im aware there are several different versions. Does HardMVS have pics of the different versions? I'll hafta look.

Edit: i just kept thinking of more to type :)

<small>[ January 21, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Lagduf ]</small>

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Lagduf
[QB
Oh and one more thing. If i get a supergun what MVS mobo (one slot should i get) im aware there are several different versions. Does HardMVS have pics of the different versions? I'll hafta look.

[/QB]
Well, as far as choosing between all the 1-slots is concerned, there are the following to consider:

1. Do you want stereo sound? You'll need a board with stereo capability ( you can check hardmvs for the capabilities of the different boards ), and
2. Do you want to have a debub Bios ( like the UNIVERSE Bios for example ) ? If yes, then the MV-1C is out of the question, since it's Bios chip is soldered on...

I highly recommend the UNIVERSE Bios chip, it's $25 well spent. It enables you to choose region and mode ( MVS or home ) on your MVS board...

Hope this helps... wink

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
For the love of god...will someone please sell me a Supergun for UNDER $200?

I don't care if it's a homemade or commercial-grade setup...I just want it to be fully JAMMA compatible and usable on a US TV set.

Please...anyone who is building an extra, make me one or sell me an older one!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I feel your pain. The MAS Super Nova is so expensive. I'm glad i have a decent paying job and still live it at home (dont make fun of me i'm only 18). Thats the only reason i can even consider affording one. I feel bad for not making one myself though. I guess im not hardcore enough, yet. If i find a decent webpage on making one perhaps i will attempt. I've seen some great designs on the web.

Evil Nick - thanks for the help!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Lagduf:
I feel your pain. The MAS Super Nova is so expensive. I'm glad i have a decent paying job and still live it at home (dont make fun of me i'm only 18). Thats the only reason i can even consider affording one. I feel bad for not making one myself though. I guess im not hardcore enough, yet. If i find a decent webpage on making one perhaps i will attempt. I've seen some great designs on the web.

Evil Nick - thanks for the help!
It's not that I can't afford it...the thing is that I KNOW what something like that would cost to build...I just don't have the time to do it myself. I'd rush out and buy a NOVA, but why spend the extra money (which I would rather put towards the purchase of an MVS board) when these can be built for much less?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
AM-NeoGeo:
Originally posted by Lagduf:
It's not that I can't afford it...the thing is that I KNOW what something like that would cost to build...I just don't have the time to do it myself. I'd rush out and buy a NOVA, but why spend the extra money (which I would rather put towards the purchase of an MVS board) when these can be built for much less?
I do you see your point there. Well i wish you luck in finding a super gun. Im gonna do some research on superguns tonight. maybe i can find someone out there who is selling one.

<small>[ January 21, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Lagduf ]</small>

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Lagduf:
AM-NeoGeo:
Originally posted by Lagduf:
I do you see your point there. Well i wish you luck in finding a super gun. Im gonna do some research on superguns tonight. maybe i can find someone out there who is selling one.
Believe me...you can find them for less...Big Bear had one for sale for $150 2 months ago. It was sold almost immediately...I dropped the ball on that one. oh_no

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Damn, you guys really have that much interest in buying one that is built for you?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
broken:
Damn, you guys really have that much interest in buying one that is built for you?
I'm dead serious...I would pay $$$ for a pre-built system. Supergoose is my only option, but he's in Europe so shipping and a JROK sent to him will make the costs come to something like $300.

I just want a Supergun that will play most arcade boards like SF2 and can handle a 1 slot MVS board (MV-1C or some variant of).

If you can do it, I would be willing to pay up to $200.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
broken:
Well i really want to get into arcade gaming at home so yes i suppose i do have enough interest to pay top dollar for a pre-made supergun. From what i've seen/read the MAS SuperNova is of a really good quality. I thought i'd start out by getting something nice instead of building a POS supergun myself (though i must admit that would be ultimately more satisfying). I am interested in building a supergun or a consolized mvs but at a later date. Come summer when i work regularly and dont have to pay for college stuff then i think i might try and build a supergun or i might buy an arcade cabinet, im still not sure. But for now i just think it would be best to get a supernova from mas.

Could anyone reccomend a site or person who sells mvs motherboards. i know the neo-store has them and md game sales, anyone else?

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
AM-NeoGeo:
broken:
I'm dead serious...I would pay $$$ for a pre-built system. Supergoose is my only option, but he's in Europe so shipping and a JROK sent to him will make the costs come to something like $300.

I just want a Supergun that will play most arcade boards like SF2 and can handle a 1 slot MVS board (MV-1C or some variant of).

Well, $200 is still a bit tight, because the jrok alone will take up near $85 for US people, leaving $115 for stuff like power supply ( next $20 ), connectors and the like, switches and a case...

What would you be using for controllers? Custom made? Because you wouldn't be able to use Neo controllers for SF2...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
EVIL NICK:
AM-NeoGeo:
broken:

Well, $200 is still a bit tight, because the jrok alone will take up near $85 for US people, leaving $115 for stuff like power supply ( next $20 ), connectors and the like, switches and a case...

What would you be using for controllers? Custom made? Because you wouldn't be able to use Neo controllers for SF2...
I'm not sure about the controllers. Probably I would use Neo pads. My main concern would be to get a Supergun to play mostly MVS games, so I guess Neo controllers would work.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Well, I have a Sigma AV 7000, and I love it! I like the freedom of being able to decide what TV it goes into (Sony Wega), but mostly I like that fact that it goes through my stereo, and not some (usually crappy) cab speakers. I love the sticks for it, and I still get the arcade feel, but I think it's a more well rounded experience. It really embodies the "in your home" feel. Almost like: "Im not really supposed to have this" kinda feeling I had when I was a kid.

So for me, it's Sigma all the way!!! buttrock

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Besides MVS games what do you other supergun owners play? I want to get some CPS2 games but other then that im not really familiar with any of the well newer arcade hardware like Naomi (well naomi isnt that new, but you know what i mean).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My offer still stands...$200 for a Jamma-compliant Supergun with at least 1 controller (and usuable on U.S. TV's) OR an MVS Gun.

If you can build an MVS Gun, I may be willing to pay a bit more depending on various factors.

Lagduf:
Could anyone reccomend a site or person who sells mvs motherboards. i know the neo-store has them and md game sales, anyone else?
You might try <a href="http://www.happcontrols.com" target="_blank">http://www.happcontrols.com</a> they have all kinds of shit, I'm currently going to have a friend of mine in Chicago take my regular Supernova controllers and set them up for the 12-Way "Rotary" stick that way I can finally play stuff like Ikari Warriors 1-3, Heavy Barrel, Time Soldiers, Guerrilla War, and it will still act as a normal one when playing no-rotary games as well. Hope this helps.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Lagduf:
Besides MVS games what do you other supergun owners play? I want to get some CPS2 games but other then that im not really familiar with any of the well newer arcade hardware like Naomi (well naomi isnt that new, but you know what i mean).
I play AES for NEO, and I play mostly shooters and beat-em-up's on the Sigma.

deffty

Kula's Candy
Verbatum:
Lagduf:
Did you try out MVS with the Sigma 7000?
I can tell you the S-video rocks!!
Its superior to a S-video mod on the AES home system.

Currently playing 4 players game with my supergun Sigma 7000. ect Captain commamdo, Slammasters, Wrestlefest, Ninja turtles, Warriors of Fate...
3rd and 4th players use Neo geo joysticks,
wired by myself.
drool_2

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
deffty:
Verbatum:
Lagduf:
Did you try out MVS with the Sigma 7000?
I can tell you the S-video rocks!!
Its superior to a S-video mod on the AES home system.

Currently playing 4 players game with my supergun Sigma 7000. ect Captain commamdo, Slammasters, Wrestlefest, Ninja turtles, Warriors of Fate...
3rd and 4th players use Neo geo joysticks,
wired by myself.
drool_2
I have Arcades new mods on my Neo, and I really dig them. How did you wire your Sigma for 4-player?

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Grimweapy:
Where do you get the Sigma 7000? I know they have a Sigma 6000 here...
I bought mine straight from the makers: Kaiten Games. Unfortunatly, they are no longer around, and either is the Sigma. crying