FAQ section -- your thoughts.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Some of you may not know this, but I was given the honor of editing the FAQ section on this site. I am in the process of revamping the entire page with graphics and new templates. I have been mowing this over in my head all day long, but I was thinking of keeping the basic design and dressing it up with certain things. I don't want to create something so outlandish that it looks out of place -- I don't think I should get carried away with the overall design. I have already updated the main page with small differences like small background tiles and borders, but nothing too significant. IHMO, I think it gives the page a bit more character.

However, since this page is for the community, I would appreciate some input on the design, etc. What exactly would you like to see?

Would you like to see actual templates for the FAQs or should we leave them in .txt format? Do you want everything categorized by genre? These are things I would like to know. Feel free to contribute your input as you see fit -- I can be reached via e-mail or PM, but a public response will work just as well.

I am looking forward to your responses.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Congrats on being made the FAQ editor.

The FAQ section is a great idea, and I'm glad to see it finally happen.

One idea /suggestion would be to try and incorporate screen shots. Kazuya does this on his site, and it's really useful for illustrating different moves, SDM's, and especially combos.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
tsu already said what I was going to suggest. 'Grats man, can't wait to see what you do with that section!

Now if we could only get somebody to update the review section

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
\o/ congrats, the FAQ section is looking nice at present, I dig the layout.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
kernow said:
\o/ congrats, the FAQ section is looking nice at present, I dig the layout.

Do you really dislike it that much Kernow? ;)

On a more serious note...

@ tsukaesugi and SonGohan: I appreciate the praise, guys -- it shows that some people still have an interest in the progression of this site. As for using pictures to illustrate certain moves / combos / DMS -- that is a great idea, tsukaesugi, and I will certainly use it.

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I would like to see in depth character FAQ's for games like King of Fighters in the FAQ section please.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
If you need screenshots just let me know and I will do what I can to help you out.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Looks nice! Maybe my N-G.com Newbie FAQ that only I didn't forget about will make it up there.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:
@ tsukaesugi and SonGohan: I appreciate the praise, guys -- it shows that some people still have an interest in the progression of this site. As for using pictures to illustrate certain moves / combos / DMS -- that is a great idea, tsukaesugi, and I will certainly use it.

Right now a friend and I are in the middle of making a site dedicated to illustrated movelists for games. Not interested in doing combos really, as they take a long time and there's literally dozens of ways you can end combos and such, especially for them to be illustrated. here's a good example of some KOF98 stuff several other members and I got together and did in the KOF forum. It just proved to be entirely too time-consuming.

An illustrated movelist site would be a lot easier to navigate and to get a general good idea of what to expect coming into an unfamiliar game. Using arrow images like seen on KOFonline would also be nicer. I know I hate reading "qcf, hcb, dp, uf" abbreviations. Having just a sprite rip of the move in action next to the motions would give it a nice "manual in my hands" type of feel.

The bad thing with it though, is that these images are going to be taken using roms, and with that said it'll be hard to get a movelist for newer games. If Playmore moves onto new hardware, then there's definitely no hope, unless I get a high dollar caption card, which I've been pondering.

But yeah, it's cool to finally see this FAQ section getting the attention it deserves. I can't wait to see the stuff you're able to do with it, and if there's anything I can do to contribute, let me know.

We need:
A Neo Geo.com FAQ, to help newbies get oriented with the site.
A new NEO GEO AES FAQ to help get oriented with owning the homecart system.
A new NEO GEO MVS FAQ, for the same reason.
A Shopper's guide to NEO GEO, you know to help people with questions like, "MVS or AES, which is better?"
A buyer's/sellers FAQ.

I'm happy to see the site growing, and that you are contributing to it :) Good job!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i pmed 4 or 5 times to get my faqs up on the site. or at least checked to see if they are good enough..

anyways peep the link in my sig.. choi, beginners and rb2 faqs.. if they are good enough put em up :)

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
alec said:
I would like to see in depth character FAQ's for games like King of Fighters in the FAQ section please.

Hmmmm... I think this is doable.

Decepticon said:
If you need screenshots just let me know and I will do what I can to help you out.

I may just take you up on your offer, Decepticon. Depending on what happens, additional screenshots could come in handy.

DanAdamKOF said:
Looks nice! Maybe my N-G.com Newbie FAQ that only I didn't forget about will make it up there.

I believe your newbie FAQ would be a welcome edition to the FAQ section, but it would have to be seperated from the game FAQs in some way. I'll come up with something and get back to you on it (no, I am not brushing you off, so don't think it for a minute). :) In the meantime, please send your FAQ to neolord@neo-geo.com so I can read it over.

@SonGohan: Great job on the Kim Kaphwan combo page; I really like it. I can tell a lot of time was spent constructing the page, and it does look very time consuming. I guess using screenshots / sprites to illustrate the moves would feel more familiar (i.e. like a user manual as you stated) than having a series of screenshots cluttering the page (we have to take our 56k dial-up users into consideration, after all). Who knows, maybe we will create a 56k friendly version of the same page(s_ if the content becomes too diverse? I guess anything is possible as long as we have Shawn's approval. More on this later...

Electroman said:
We need:
A Shopper's guide to NEO GEO, you know to help people with questions like, "MVS or AES, which is better?"
A buyer's/sellers FAQ.

I'm happy to see the site growing, and that you are contributing to it :) Good job!

I believe Bobak! touched on most of this with his Glossary of terms. The Neo-Geo buyer FAQ might work but it would be more suited for the Neostore.

:) I am very excited about this project. There are other projects in the works that do not directly relate to the FAQ section, but this will come to fruition in due time. We can only do so much at a single time, so the suggestions mentioned here will be added, but in the appropriate order and one at a time. I don’t want to promise too much too fast -- I want to get a feel for everything and take it with strides; I don't want to disappoint anyone.

beelzebubble said:
i pmed 4 or 5 times to get my faqs up on the site. or at least checked to see if they are good enough..

anyways peep the link in my sig.. choi, beginners and rb2 faqs.. if they are good enough put em up :)

Did you try pm'ing me recently, Beelze? I haven’t received anything from you if you have. I read through your FAQs this afternoon and I found them to be very appropriate for the FAQ page. I'm sorry if your initial inquires went unanswered, but the person who was previously in charge of the FAQ page is a very busy person that has many different things on his plate. Aside from being the secondary Admin that does all the major updates for the site, he is also working on many different upgrades for future installments. I am certainly not making excuses for him (Mouse can speak for himself I am sure), but I thought you should know this (I don’t want you to think we're ignoring you (this goes for anyone else whose inquires went unanswered in the past)). I will do everything I can to add your FAQs if you sent them before, so feel free to contact me at any given time of the day.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
We need:
A buyer's/sellers FAQ.

BAH! No one remembers my (like 10 page) FAQ.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sonic1687/faq/faq2.txt (hosted by Sonic1687)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:
Thanks for the link! I am reading it right now.

Guess the email I just sent is moot (well I did offer a little info on it).

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
DanAdamKOF said:
Guess the email I just sent is moot (well I did offer a little info on it).

That was a very informative read to say the very least. Hmmmmmm... our new members could really benefit from reading this.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Did you try pm'ing me recently, Beelze? I haven’t received anything from you if you have. I read through your FAQs this afternoon and I found them to be very appropriate for the FAQ page. I'm sorry if your initial inquires went unanswered, but the person who was previously in charge of the FAQ page is a very busy person that has many different things on his plate. Aside from being the secondary Admin that does all the major updates for the site, he is also working on many different upgrades for future installments. I am certainly not making excuses for him (Mouse can speak for himself I am sure), but I thought you should know this (I don’t want you to think we're ignoring you (this goes for anyone else whose inquires went unanswered in the past)). I will do everything I can to add your FAQs if you sent them before, so feel free to contact me at any given time of the day.

yeah i didnt think anyone was intentionally ignoring me... the admin is busy as youd expect :)

thanks for the response! youre a cool kat!

put em up if you can, if you need anything from me pm me or post in here.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
beelzebubble said:

I have to second the motion for Beelze's faqs. I'll probably never get any use out of the Choi faq, but his RB2 faq was one of the most helpful (to me) I've read.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think you should take most of the FAQs from gamefaqs and reuse them here. As long as the author is given credit, then it doesn't matter.

How about a debug bios section?

I only found out recently that some games do not work in MVS mode.

Screenshots for combos would be nice also.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
I have to second the motion for Beelze's faqs. I'll probably never get any use out of the Choi faq, but his RB2 faq was one of the most helpful (to me) I've read.

thanks m8 :)

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
SouthtownKid said:

Yes, Beezle did an excellent job.

the roker said:
How about a debug bios section?

I only found out recently that some games do not work in MVS mode.
Screenshots for combos would be nice also.

I think having an in-depth Debug Bios FAQ containing a compatibility chart would also be a good idea. Would someone like to step up and write one for the FAQ section?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:
Do you really dislike it that much Kernow? ;)

On a more serious note...

@ tsukaesugi and SonGohan: I appreciate the praise, guys -- it shows that some people still have an interest in the progression of this site.

WTF? I said I liked the layout, obviously I, for some reason, have lesser an opinion than the two before.

"cool" :spock:

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
kernow said:
WTF? I said I liked the layout, obviously I, for some reason, have lesser an opinion than the two before.

"cool" :spock:

No, not at all... you wrote \o/ in your post, so I thought you were messing around. My bad if I read into it the wrong way.

Your opinion counts just as much as the others and you know it. :)

Last edited: