Bad power supply?

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
I just got my 1 slot 25", and there's a slightly odd video problem. There is a sort of flickering in the screen (I might try a video of it, but I don't think it'd come through much). It's not really bad, but it's JUST enough to be a slight annoyance. I'm not going to replace the monitor or pay someone to fix it, since it isn't THAT bad.. The monitor is also in otherwise great condition, as near as I can tell. Bright (though the bootup logos seem a touch darker then they should be), with not a touch of burnin.

But, after I pulled off part of the back to check some things (and found $1.77 in loose change :D) I noticed the power supply sounded weird. It sounds like a very soft buzzing or something. I don't have much experience with arcade PSUs, but what SHOULD they sound like? I ask, because I've seen screwy PSUs that were the cause of strange visual problems on PC monitors and televisions before, so I thought maybe the PSU is a little screwy. It looks very easy to replace, and if you guys think that might be the problem, I might go ahead and do that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
An arcade PSu should sound alot like a PC psu... The wizzing you hear is the fan.. If it's dying or obstucted, that could make a strange sound just a like PC fan.

I'm going to guess that the video problem is caused by electromagnetic fields given off within your cab. Try movint the video cords around so that they might not catch the interference...
Also try to move the PSU or PCB to a more shielded location

When do you notice the problem the most?????? Is it when Loud sounds or music is played? then it is probably caused by the speakers.

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
norton9478 said:
An arcade PSu should sound alot like a PC psu... The wizzing you hear is the fan.. If it's dying or obstucted, that could make a strange sound just a like PC fan.

Yeah, the fan sounds weird. That's what made me think of it. But, again, I don't know exactly what an arcade PSU's fan SHOULD sound like.... What worried me most is that the sound isn't really a consistent whir, it's more like what an old box fan sounds like. The PSU is a pretty old one (looks like it, at least) so I might just think about replacing it anyways.

I'm going to guess that the video problem is caused by electromagnetic fields given off within your cab. Try movint the video cords around so that they might not catch the interference...

I thought of that last night and took a look at the speaker (mono), which needs to be replaced anyways, and it is an unshielded one so that could be the culprit. I sure hope it is interference (and I'd say there's a good chance of that - now that I think about it, it looks vaguely like when a magnet gets near a monitor, with the lines sort of inconsistent and almost pulsing). Flicker isn't the right word... A new shielded speaker, of course, is only like $10 anyways.

Also try to move the PSU or
PCB to a more shielded location

I don't think I can do that. This appears to be a conversion of some type (it's difficult to tell from what, but when I looked at the underside of the control panel it had covered up spots for two extra buttons for each player - some kind of fighter maybe? Pretty good conversion in any case). Well, I COULD move it and remount it, but it looks to be really difficult right now. I'll put it on the back burner.

When do you notice the problem the most?????? Is it when Loud sounds or music is played? then it is probably caused by the speakers.

The speakers constantly hiss now (another weird thing - when the theme music to the Bust-a-Move title screen pops up, it is sometimes HORRIBLY distorted, like run away screaming distorted, but sometimes it doesn't - the speaker is definetly screwy, and I'll be glad when I get it replaced) and I don't notice any real difference with different sounds, but since the speakers make noise all the time anyways... I'll try disconnecting the speaker and observe any changes. Also, I'll try my best to move around the video cables, but the design of the cab with everything screwed into wood makes actual changes a little stressful as I don't want to screw it up somehow.

Oh, BTW, is it difficult to add stereo to an MV-1F board? The cabinet has a spot for another speaker, so that's another future project I'd like to attempt.

KMGor

Morden's Lackey
Slight update: Removing the speaker has no effect. I also noticed something I didn't before - the monitor seems to be buzzing or something. What is an arcade monitor supposed to sound like on the back ;p?