KOF' 2004, 2005, 2006 on MVS!!! (Maybe)

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
here is a message from mmcafe board (thanks to Iggy):

"Well, for those of you who thought light speed was too slow, here are the first news on KOF 2004! and even on KOF 2005 and 2006!
According to Namaenonai heya, KOF 2004 and maybe the 2 others will be on... MVS! No AtomiWave for the new REAL KOFs!
Aha!
And on a side note, KOF 2003 is done by former Brezza soft employees along with a few regular staff from KOF. "

Hail to NEOGEO
:buttrock:

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
If this is true, which I doubt, what will become of the Atomiswave KOF?

The only reason I doubt this is because Playmore said something along the lines of cutting support in 2005 . . . sooooo

a 2006 doesn't seem likely

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
Ash will be here for the 3 next years. :buttrock: :D

KOF' 3D on Atomiswave is just like the KOF' EX on GameBoy Advance, a spinoff not really related to the KOF' storyline.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Whoa slowdown guy, I'd love to see it happen too, but the key word here is maybe...

According to Namaenonai heya, KOF 2004 and maybe the 2 others will be on...

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
oki oki, i'll edit the first post (i just don't want someone here to have a heart attack :D )

NO STYLE DM

NEST Puppet
thats GREAT , i have a ps2 but waiting for the releases would have taken too damn long .
i think snkp discovered what they can do with the neo abilities in kof2k3 and they were like : WTF ?? we can do that ? with this old machine ?
i realy love snkp

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
gozu+mezu said:
KOF' 3D on Atomiswave

Actually its been said a few times that KOF 3D and KOF Atomiswave, are 2 different games.

But there is a lot of confusion on that, so I will not claim it as fact.

Can anyone clear that up?

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
1.KOF' 3D and KOF' Atomiswave are the same game. release date mars/april 2004.

2.About the news, i have found at gameonline that the news about KOF' 2004 was taken from an interview of Tosihiko Kita, President of Snkneogeo. :buttrock:

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Cheers for the good news.

Happy to hear that my favorite series continues on my favorite piece of hardware :multi_co:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
gozu+mezu said:
[...] According to Namaenonai heya, KOF 2004 and maybe the 2 others will be on... MVS! No AtomiWave for the new REAL KOFs! [...]

If that would be true, it would be great news indeed.

I mean, the Atomiswave is an okay-ish piece of hardware, but IMO SNKP should be careful not to make the Hyper 64 mistake again.

Some things simply have to stay 2D, even if JHendrix or other graphics whores would tell you a different story about market shares, technological advancement and tEh mAinstream... :cool:

CraigPilecky

Zero's Tailor
I would like to see what can be done with the KoF and other SNK franchises on modern, or at least semi-modern hardware.

They've squeezed a heck of alot out of the MVS over the years. But its only hurting them now. IMO

I mean its like the SNES. I love the system, and ill always treasure the classics for it. But the N64 and Gamecube have allowed Nintendo to deliver gameplay experiences that simply wheren't possible before. To me its the same thing with the Neo Geo/MVS.

I want high res KOF, Last Blade, Fatal Fury, etc. With music and sound effects on par with Guilty Gear and Street Fighter 3. MVS cant deliver that. :(

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
CraigPilecky said:
I would like to see what can be done with the KoF and other SNK franchises on modern, or at least semi-modern hardware.

They've squeezed a heck of alot out of the MVS over the years. But its only hurting them now. IMO
I want high res KOF, Last Blade, Fatal Fury, etc. With music and sound effects on par with Guilty Gear and Street Fighter 3. MVS cant deliver that. :(

Precisely my thinking as well. I was really hoping SNKP would go with Atomiswave as their new primary platform, but if they don't, they should definately pick SOMETHING new.

I fear we reached the pinnacle of what MVS can do back around 2000 or so.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
koll.
atomiswave is cool and all.
but...
long live the NEOGEO!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I agree with both camps here. On the one side, long live MVS. On the other, I would like better graphics. If I don't get them, I will live, but it doesn't hurt. Sam Sho V, for instance, is proof that they can still make great games on this system. However, why not go next gen? Either way, I'll be there.

Spike

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Well, this makes SOME sense, they should close the kof series on MVS with a dream match in 2006. It'll just feel right.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Everyone freaks about not having MVS.

Vihn has already said that the Atomiswave KOF is only a
one time deal :rolleyes:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So has Eolith's association with KoF finished? Their efforts with 2K1 and 2K2 were ok, but not exceptional... I take it that KoF 2K3 is in-house then?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
CraigPilecky said:

Then why don't they use what's already there? PS2, Xbox, GC, just choose one. It's not that there wouldn't be enough hardware power, and both the PS2 and Xbox even have an arcade pendant, so what's the point?

Man, some ppl talk about the Atomiswave as the end-all and be-all of arcade hardware now that a KoF game might be released on it, while only a few months ago, NOBODY cared for it because it didn't offer anything new, let alone good games, and now it's like oooooh I want my hi-res KoF, bwhuaaa...

Sorry, doesn't make sense to me. Going Atomiswave would be too little too late, AGAIN.

Nomax

Kula's Candy
Takumaji said:
Then why don't they use what's already there? PS2, Xbox, GC, just choose one. It's not that there wouldn't be enough hardware power, and both the PS2 and Xbox even have an arcade pendant, so what's the point?

GC got an arcade pendant too, it's called the Triforce featuring games like "Virtua Striker 2002" and "F-Zero AX".

Takumaji said:
Sorry, doesn't make sense to me. Going Atomiswave would be too little too late, AGAIN.

I don't understand why you say that since a SNK game wouldn't look better on other systems. For now, the Chihiro got the highest poly-count but that doesn't matter there, even for a KOF 3D. Look at "Soul Calibur" on Dreamcast, a KOF looking as good as this would be awesome!!! :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
A little presumptuous, maybe?:rolleyes:

Oh well, I guess that's why this is the rumor section...

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
If playmore's biggest market is in a 3rd world country, I highly doubt they will shift to Atomiswave.

If the Atomiswave is not cheap and interchangeable like the mvs cartridges. People in the arcade business will have a hard time keeping up with snkplaymore releases every year. Considering you'll have to buy expensive parts to own an atomiswave. Which means that they would stop buying playmore's games, and playmore would have less clients.

MVS has to exist in order for playmore to be alive unless Atomiswave is easy to develop for, it's cheap and easy to manage (like mvs cartridges) for arcade business men, and it's hard to pirate. Aspects, that I doubt the Atomiswave have.

If somebody can clear me up on this, then yeah, I'll support the Atomiswave.

Last edited:

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
1) King of Fighters 3D will be for the PS2. NOT the Atomiswave. The Atomiswave sucks at 3d graphics (dreamcast style, nothing that can bring the people's attention. The mainstream market wants Virtua Fighter style graphics now)
2) King of Fighters Sammy (as it is called) will be made on the Atomiswave. Very little is known about this besides the fact that Sammy is involved in it. It will probably be a 10 year anniversary special or something. It won't be part of the main story. It is also supposedly a one time deal with Sammy also.

Now that this is cleared up (and trust me, i was confused about it too! I had to ask Trieu and shaat) I wonder if the MVS is really the way to go? Will people want to play the "old school" style KOF 2004 when KOF sammy is around(in high res glory)? I dont really think Playmore will take this route, unless SNK rebuilds the engine from the ground up with brand new sprites and everything.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
I wonder what the impact of KOF Sammy will be... AtomisWave owners base is verry small...
Anyway a kof with Sammy s knowledge of highres animation and eye-candy specials would be really sweet for sure... we ll see :)