KOF2003: A fresh start (the Iori head debate)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Okay, that last thread was getting hairy. Many questions came up, but little answering, some fighting, yelling and big opinions. The usual.

There are a few things that I'm dying to know in this, so anyone that finds out in the next few days, please answer. Or, better yet, look for them?

Iori's head. I think Iori's head getting redone has been idiotic ever since they did it. I like the old one better, but to be honest, the new one's okay too. But DON'T change some and leave the other. Can anyone find if this has finally been fixed in all his frames of animation? I'm walking with a different head, now standing, with all new hair. How stupid. And, what's worse, they left if for the new KOF and even SvsC!

The new characters: How do they animate? Also, the redrawn ones/freshly added such as Gato and Terry.... what's up with them?

Finally, the music/voices/SFX. I know it must be ungodly loud, so if you can't give an impression on this, I understand.

Please, Beez/Tsuka! You're our only hope!

Spike

Last edited:

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Spike, I've been laughing my ass off every time you post about Iori's head, because everytime you did in the thread, people were just ignoring the question. Me and you are probably the only two people that give a shit about things like that. I want detailed descriptions on the MOTW characters and Iori's head, lets fucking have it people...

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I'm with you all here, although I'm actualy more interested in if Kim has a more balanced animation style. His moves and standing animation in 2K2 and SvC are incredible, but his walking animtion and taunt use the old sprite which is MUCH more beefy and not as detailed. Any word on if they cleaned him up?

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Agreed, I found it a bit goofy to have Jae Hoon garou quality animation for idling and the old, cut rate kof style for everything else.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm sooooooo glad that YOU started this thread because i've been bitching about that FCKED up Iori's head which basically removed his "soul". He looks like a FCK'N cosplay IORI.
How can whoever make a drastic change to a mainstay charcater like that. The GRIN symbolizes how insane he is!
I am getting ready to e-mail Yumekobo or whoever the hell they are about the alleged absence of fatalities in SSV:blow_top:
BTW,that makes 4:D
-BB

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
I'm sooooooo glad that YOU started this thread because i've been bitching about that FCKED up Iori's head which basically removed his "soul". He looks like a FCK'N cosplay IORI.
How can whoever make a drastic change to a mainstay charcater like that. The GRIN symbolizes how insane he is!
I am getting ready to e-mail Yumekobo or whoever the hell they are about the alleged absence of fatalities in SSV:blow_top:
BTW,that makes 4:D
-BB

Yuki did ssV. Yumekobo is a bastard shit of a company who makes lousy shooters.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
Whats the big deal with Iori's head? Okay, I've never played 2002 so don't know what I'm missing out on, but surely it cant be that bad?

Now if you were talking about Terry's MOTW head...

Robert

20 Year Member
Concerning the iori's head, I have NEVER noticed before. stifu had to show two pictures with different heads to see the difference. And even now, I don't notice it. But i see the difference for Kim and I think that it must be the first bug to fix.

Rodi

Crossed Swords Squire
Erm I played all the recent KOFs and SvC and I see nothing wrong wiith Iori's head o_O

Or just I didnt realise much...

Pics please!!! xD

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Rodi said:
Erm I played all the recent KOFs and SvC and I see nothing wrong wiith Iori's head o_O

Or just I didnt realise much...

Pics please!!! xD

He went from pure evil head to some guy having a bad day head.....and the 2nd head looks nothing like him!

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Starting in 2001, they considered it a great idea, to tamper with Iori's head. During his Idle standing animation, he has a completely different redrawn head, with different hair shape [the color doesnt even match] However, they never followed through with all of the sprites, not even the walking animation. So when you begin to walk forward, or backwards, or do ANYTHING for that matter, it switches back to his old head, its completely rediculous.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
About this topic, go in KOF2001 and try Terry's crouching A to rediscover the '94 magic. :cool:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
One day I was sitting down comparing '98 to '02 simultaneously and was just literally horrified how EOLITH & GAYMORE just butchered the sprites and tossed in some inaffective BC mode against human competitiion.
The edit to Iori's head was pretty simple from what I could see.It was just a matter of whoever just removing the black border/shadowing from Iori's face seperating it from his kneck.Now that the removed the border/shadowing,his face and kneck blend in together giving the appearance of a lifeless FAT FACE(nothing wrong with fat faces if it was there to begin with)
What they should have done is edited Kyo to look more stylish like Iori rather than tone down Iori to look just as SH8tty as everybody else.
Everybody screams GAMEPLAY-GAMEPLAY-GAMEPLAY Okay,cool...I would like what I am accustomed to receiving and that's the FULL PACKAGE. I'm not some blind follower willing to except a tweaked KOF '98 engine and butchered sprites.
-BB

David Fallows

Sieger's Squire
If you play '02 in RGB you can actually see Iori's hair colour change when he walks and then revert back to normal when he stands.

Goofy shit.

Also, with his and Kyos new winning poses the entire pallette falls out of line.

And that's before I start bitching about the draw quality of those new sprites.

I'm not some blind follower willing to except a tweaked KOF '98 engine and butchered sprites.

My thoughts exactly Big man. I wish I'd chosen KoF'98 and Garou from Spike over the (then) newly released KoF'02.

Anyhow - I do support SNKP, I just want them to live up to the standards of the SNK of the late nineties. If KoF'03 improves over '02 then I'll be a happy man. Whether I part with my $325 again however is another story.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ah well... I agree with you guys.
That really sucks, but I fear it still won't be fixed...

I'm pessimist after having seen Iori still had those fucking head swaps in SvC Chaos...

David Fallows

Sieger's Squire
I love this forum.

I've been gone for nearly a year and it doesn't surprise me that folks are still as fussy as ever! Just like myself. But hey, that's what being a Neo fan is all about.

I'm on the lookout for an unmodded US AES as soon as I get paid for these jobs I'm on - it's gonna be great coming back on here with gameplay queries and such. This place was one of the highlights of playing neo games.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I do agree with Iori needed a fully new animation set...but if I'm not mistaken, compairing 2K to 2K1 and later they redid the entire standing and crouching animation but nothing else as the sprite as a whole seems a tad larger and the tails on his shirt look different in the 2 versions. I also like the updated look a bit, I was never much for the smirk. I'm one of the biggest iori fans with posters, wall scrolls, etc etc and not in one of them is he smirking. Dont know, just my opinion. I just wish that they would update him completely...same goes for everyone else.

Also why is everybody always picking on playmore for doing these odd sprite edits when SNK did it just as much. Look at 96 Mai for example, she had an updated standing animation...and thats it, it looked out of place with all of her 94 move sets, then in 97 they updated the rest of her moves but left her walking animation and some others the same as 94 (thats to present). Thats just one example. I'd kill for an all new KOF with a totaly redone style, but that's a ways off.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They just didn't do the standing and crouching anim...
They also redid his head for his "qcf + P move", and also for a few other things... (like victory pose / taunt)

Not that I'm defending Playmore though :p (just giving details).
They've sucked badly on this one.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
you know people can call us nitpicky or fussy, but I for one would like new sprites every now and then.

I don't think its being that picky.

David Fallows

Sieger's Squire
the roker said:
you know people can call us nitpicky or fussy, but I for one would like new sprites every now and then.

I don't think its being that picky.

Oh no - wanting new sprites deff. ain't fussy man. It's bitching about Iori's hair that is. :tickled:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
David Fallows said:
Oh no - wanting new sprites deff. ain't fussy man. It's bitching about Iori's hair that is. :tickled:

the problem is they masked an old sprite, again, my arguement on wanting new sprites, rather than old sprites touched up badly, so bad, you can still see the old sprite when the new one moves.

I don't think we're being unreasonable.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Magnaflux said:
Yuki did ssV. Yumekobo is a bastard shit of a company who makes lousy shooters.

Sorry dude, Blazing Star is DA BESTEST shooter in Neo Geo, accept it and live with it :cool: