Samurai Shodown V does not work on the MV-1

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I have tested this for weeks using multiple carts and multiple boards. The 1F is confirmed fine and I've heard that the 1C is great for all recent titles, but if you run SSV on the MV-1 then you will get:

Problem list:
game resets at random
music stops completely
sound effects stop completely
random sound effects such as "IPPON!" during a match
background music switches mid-match
background music speeds up or slows down
some display glitches in the soft dip menu

Granted that it's kind of funky to hear the character select music play during the final boss fight, I recommend that anyone considering getting this title on MVS get something other than an MV-1 to run it on.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Really, everyone needs to go multislot... the 1 slots are picky ;) I mean... more games in the cab/supergun... and no problems... WHY DEAL WITH THE ONE SLOTS?

-Nick

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I was wondering, just from this thread, if all the Matrimelee carts have the reset problems on all mvs boards, or just the mv-1 and the home system...

and if the mv-1 is basically the same as the home system. Could mean another homecart delay.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi said:
I was wondering, just from this thread, if all the Matrimelee carts have the reset problems on all mvs boards, or just the mv-1 and the home system...

and if the mv-1 is basically the same as the home system. Could mean another homecart delay.

I've never had a single problem with Matrimelee on my 2 slot.

-Nick

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Stifu said:
I heard it works. :D

Sure hope it does, can't get my consolized system yet...gotta call today about getting some used 2 slots for $25 each :D

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
leepantalone said:
Worked perfect on my MV-1.....

No problems at all.
Please tell me if that keeps up for you... one of the tests I did with the MV-1 was to try several other carts to make sure that the board itself did not have problems. King of Fighters '98, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Metal Slug, and Magical Drop 3 all run perfect on the same board that cannot run Samurai V.

Similar to what people reported with ROTD, some of my SSV sessions were very light on glitches while some were almost unplayable. That's why I'm interested in how your situation progresses... if you never develop the problems above, I can only assume that there are differences among MV-1s which is something I would not have been able to find while testing.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I tested that as well... both the BIOS that came with the board and the UNIBIOS yielded the same results, and changing from MVS to console and back via the UNIBIOS had no effect. I ruled out BIOS as a cause at that point.

At this point also, let me say that I know that I'm making a generalization because I don't own every MV-1 ever made, but seeing Seawolf69's post convinced me that more ppl would fall into this trap if I didn't make some noise. Maybe it's not every MV-1 that has the problem, but I'm convinced that it is an issue with certain fully functional boards of that type.

Also, just to be certain, this is the board you have, Lee, correct? It should have a gold-colored tray and it is the only 1 slot with a memory card hookup (which is why I got it! :)).

Last edited:

MrLonghair

Morden's Lackey
Earlier MV-1 models come with a black cart-tray (owned one of those with a serial below #4000) but almost every one of them that I see nowadays have golden metal ones

I have an MV1-FZ and the MV-1 (first model), could probably ask my friend with the cart to try it in his 1-FZ to see if it works if someone wants to

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
SS5 didn't work at all with my MV-1, it just went straight to garbled up screen of white blocks and made a clicky noise.

Decepticon said:
Anyone tried this with a Phantom?

Yes, and it works. However you can see those vertical lines during scrolling in some stages. The same thing used to happen to me with other games when I had a phantom.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
buttasuperb said:
Yes, and it works. However you can see those vertical lines during scrolling in some stages. The same thing used to happen to me with other games when I had a phantom.

I don't have vertical lines in scaling games though :)

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
neojedi said:
I tested that as well... both the BIOS that came with the board and the UNIBIOS yielded the same results, and changing from MVS to console and back via the UNIBIOS had no effect. I ruled out BIOS as a cause at that point.

At this point also, let me say that I know that I'm making a generalization because I don't own every MV-1 ever made, but seeing Seawolf69's post convinced me that more ppl would fall into this trap if I didn't make some noise. Maybe it's not every MV-1 that has the problem, but I'm convinced that it is an issue with certain fully functional boards of that type.

Also, just to be certain, this is the board you have, Lee, correct? It should have a gold-colored tray and it is the only 1 slot with a memory card hookup (which is why I got it! :)).

That is the very board.

However, I must say that it did not work with Matrimelee. Kept resetting on me. That is the only game so far that has not worked. SSV was fine.

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Ya,
Butta, lemon, fatguy, neofight, and i all used the phantom with ssv. It works flawlessly, except for the white glitch lines. I have this problem with all my scrolling games on mvs with the phantom(lb2, waku7, etc) i think i have the 3-6 board revision.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Anybody willing to let me borrow their SSV so I can see if I will have scaling issues with my system :D

ClubNinja

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
20 Year Member
Sorry to dig this one up ;)

I'm looking into picking up SS V finally, but have some doubts with my MV-1 board. Is there any new input on this one? I'm not interested in buying it only to be disappointed. As a little history, a "fixed" Rage of the Dragons runs fine on my board with original BIOS (no Uni-Bios.) If I recall correctly, this wasn't always the case with MV-1 boards, though I'm not certain. If so, then maybe I happen to have a friendly old MV-1. Any suggestions/inputs/info?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
ClubNinja said:
Any suggestions/inputs/info?
No changes with me, I switched to a 1F and I can run SSV fine on that. There's a good sticky thread in Tech Support that covers about everything you asked about.

Link