KOF 2003 loke test report

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
so i went to the loke test and stuck round for about 2 hours...

it was chock full of ppl of course... all the regs from monte carlo sitting on the floor in front of the big screen lapping it up. flyers and a few posters with all the staff from across the road ive seen the last couple of times..

o yeah 1st up metal slug 5 seems to be out here now.. is that old news?

anyways..

initial impression... WTF happened to the new system.... and this is like a 99 feel with very artistic backgrounds that each have different color ranges and an england 99 feel to them. all the characters seem to have added frames here and there at the minimum

it would be like this from my first impression:

totally new sprites (new chars)
redrawn sprites and or just a new outfit
touched up with new frames or added frames..
possible rips

so in group one is : ash, dyuoron (duron in eng), shen u, malin,
tizoc...

group two : yama (looks totally redrawn and has a feel similar to his artwork from 02/03 (i cant remember the artists name now but the guy who drew for svc..), billy is either redrawn or just a new outfit (sorta leather with flames highlighting the arms and legs of his pants and jacket), kyo (new outfit sorta more mature terry motw look but the sprite itself seems to just be his previous one), athena (new outfit only it would seem), beni (only a slightly new outfit with his shirt cutoff or something.. he looks a little dif... oh yeah his hair seems to bend back near the top or something..)

group three is evyone sept those below

group four : terry and gato
next up backgrounds i spotted

AssassinStrike

Armored Scrum Object
gameplay assumptions?

99 was always a bit naft in the gameplay department?
60 secs one rounds all 3 charas can't be right?

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
the stages i saw today are:

1. on top of a building, looks sorta like the on top of a building stage from rbff2 (which i like ;) ) only better. there is lots of neon in the background and a big neon neogeo sign as well.. sorta kool with a bit of garbage fluttering around as movement from memory... nice use of bright blue and black as the color scheme

2. looks like venice.. the centre of the stage is a big clock face at street level with a street on the right that slopes down and the one on the left sloping up.. lots of ppl watching with 2 guys manipulating puppets in the background.. really nice use of oragne and red.. bright look.

3. a fairground on train lines.. think the three train lines drawing closer to each other as they stretch to the horizon line ala kof 98 but only the far left one has a train on it.. ppl with balloons.. kids and parents.. lots of activity and a bright blue sky and green grass... nice use of blue and light green

4. a japanese temple at night with the middle of the screen being japanese poplars lit up by huge traditional japanese paper lanterns.. in the bg on the left you can see a traditional japanese castle...

5. a mayan/aztec temple... lots of moss covered stones with nice use of greens and browns.. the middle is a huge pyramid temple with a closer one on the left side where you can see each individual stone.. the stone looks really well done..there are some birds perched on the stones in the background

6. a dock, somewhere in south america it would seem with a few locals wearing sombreros (think kof 95 water stage) stiing on the dock.. on the left is a big wall (again aztec looking) and a temple behind it in the distance... two boats are moored at the dock moving up and down with the currents...again blue and bron..

7. venice street at night.. greenish lights and darkened streets completely devoid of ppl, movement...

so i like the backgrounds a lot.. much better than 01 or 02 (i thought 02 was ok but not exceptional) better than svc also imo.. feels like 99 to be honest..

next up
game system

SiegfriedFM

Geese's Thug
Hey, can you tell us what the real roman names for Duoron, Shen Wu and Marin are, i e what it says under the life bars?

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
*one timer for the whole round... only one round easy to get a time out BUT they are testing the time.. it swung from super long to super short last loke test so dont worry unnecessarily

*FREAKYYYYYYYYYYY 3 energy bars that rep three chars.. the one that stands out (not looking faded) is the current character..
super stocks down the bottom and an "ok" lamp that indicates tagging in is ok

*oh yeah FUCKING TAGGIN ala mvc2.. looks doable coz it isnt tekken style.. oh no i wasted my character type tagging.. they have tag in attacks (like a cd counter or something) and tag juggles.. i see this guy using malin throw yoyos (the yoyos sit there ala soggy fbs and then tag in ash and throw a green fireball with her for fun.. :)

*dash as usual

*roll as usual

*cd counter as usual

*tag in when the lamp is lit using bc or cd

*tag attack is bc or cd +fb motion with a stock used or free if the tag lamp is lit

*throw as usual (yeah only one button)

*throw reversal as usual (same button as the throw)

*breakfall/mid air recover ab as before

*quick get up ab as fall..

next up
characters new moves and general impressions

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Tagging? Like ROTD and MVC2? That sounds cool, as long as it doesn't get too outta hand.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
"ash" for ash crimson
"malin" for ƒ}ƒŠƒ“
"duron" for i cant remember how it was written in katakana
"shen" i think for ƒVƒFƒ“￾@ƒE￾[

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Are the colors horribly washed out like they were in '01 and '02?

What's the general opinion of the new characters there?

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Super DM Tag combo's with certain characters? PLEASE!

Terry and Gato Ripped :( :(

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
That makes me happy in ways you cannot fathom. Good to see they're getting their graphical groove back. :D

What about the music? Awesome like in '00 and before, okay like '02, or complete trash like '01?

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Great news indeed!

If the MOTW sprites are ripped, do the KOF sprites stand out and is there a huge graphical difference or are all sprites MOTW quality?

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Decepticon said:
Great news indeed!

If the MOTW sprites are ripped, do the KOF sprites stand out and is there a huge graphical difference or are all sprites MOTW quality?

Surely height should be a problem since KOF chracters are much taller than the "SF Zero style" Motw chqracters (big feet), i really hope they don't stand out like a sore thumb!

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
NeoDragoN said:
Surely height should be a problem since KOF chracters are much taller than the "SF Zero style" Motw chqracters (big feet), i really hope they don't stand out like a sore thumb!

Same here. Man I hope they are redrawn and not ripped.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
random bits:

*when a character dies they fall over and their body fades away like theyve been beamed up by the enterprise.. looks sorta cool

*k has an air fb

*when you super you are surrounded by a pink spinning ring sorta like the old guys card attack in ninja masters and there is a screen flash (pitch black) ala svc..

*king has a fireball where she drop kicks it low with her foot, looks cool :)

*mai has a new super where she does the realbout pray and fire sprouts from her body.. this is a huge gout straight up though that does lotsss of damage

*gato has a tung style dashing punch which adds on the end of his palm attack (fb+punch) cant remember if he had this in garou...

*beni has a move where he arcs a hand up and brings it down with pink electricity covering the hand.. looks good and seems to be continuable ala ioris three punch move..

*malin is hinas sister (or she looks it at least in her clothes etc) she is a mixture of choi (with the air dash attacks.. saw a guy classic choiing with 2 forward one back), may lee (attitude and hiphop/raver style) and with a yo yo.. she can throw at least two yoyos out and let them sit there spinning..

*ash looks very kula is with the green energy fb and a kula style dp which is kicks instead of punches...

*shen looks and has moves similar to rock.. he wears a jacket unbuttoned and sorta looks like a crazier k9999.... (mixed with kula style kicks and sprite)

*duron looks like a female zero with the same cape (it may not be zero might be the guy after him in 01??) and stands in a snake stance...

*all three members stand on the screen at the start of a round..

thats about all at this point.. plan to spend a half day there again this thursday as im at work tue , wed.. ill actually have a go too..

deathknight

Zero's Tailor
beelzebubble said:
random bits:

*when a character dies they fall over and their body fades away like theyve been beamed up by the enterprise.. looks sorta cool

*k has an air fb

*when you super you are surrounded by a pink spinning ring sorta like the old guys card attack in ninja masters and there is a screen flash (pitch black) ala svc..

*mai has a new super where she does the realbout pray and fire sprouts from her body.. this is a huge gout straight up though that does lotsss of damage

*gato has a tung style dashing punch which adds on the end of his palm attack (fb+punch) cant remember if he had this in garou...

*beni has a move where he arcs a hand up and brings it down with pink electricity covering the hand.. looks good and seems to be continuable ala ioris three punch move..

*malin is hinas sister (or she looks it at least in her clothes etc) she is a mixture of choi (with the air dash attacks.. saw a guy classic choiing with 2 forward one back), may lee (attitude and hiphop/raver style) and with a yo yo.. she can throw at least two yoyos out and let them sit there spinning..

*ash looks very kula is with the green energy fb and a kula style dp which is kicks instead of punches...

*shen looks and has moves similar to rock.. he wears a jacket unbuttoned and sorta looks like a crazier k9999.... (mixed with kula style kicks and sprite)

*duron looks like a female zero with the same cape (it may not be zero might be the guy after him in 01??) and stands in a snake stance...

thats about all at this point.. plan to spend a half day there again this thursday as im at work tue , wed.. ill actually have a go too..

beezle, that's awesome, you tha best!:mr_t:

but eh, are those new chars nicely animated and all? and new styles? and are the other characters moving more "fluently"?

thanks ^^

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
beelzebubble said:
random bits:

*k has an air fb

Very interesting but I likey.

You rock beelzebubble :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
beezle, that's awesome, you tha best!

but eh, are those new chars nicely animated and all? and new styles? and are the other characters moving more "fluently"?

thanks ^^

it looks like theyve put a fair bit of effort into it.. everyone seems to have extra frames and the graphics seem 99 standard.. moves properties seem different with different priorites.. more juggles or hits added to moves etc.. seems quite tweaked and at this very early point seems nice and tight :)

the new systems dont seem overwhelming or stupid.. overall ive got a good feeling about it...

oh yeah SSZERO fucking rocks btw.. man i am loving that game at the moment :D

deathknight

Zero's Tailor
thanks man:glee: man i can't tell you guys how much i LIKE this game so far...:buttrock: :buttrock:

(you get the idea:drool_2: )