game self-resetting

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
i just bought an MVS copy of last resort and the game's been resetting itself everytime i try to play it. it'll start up but either during the "neo geo SNK" intro scene or a few seconds into the first level, it'll restart back to the intro screen, and it keeps repeating. at first i thought it was my system so i tried all my other games but they all worked fine. i've also tried cleaning the cart but the problem still arises. does anyone know what's going here, and how to fix the problem?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
This occurs a lot on bootleg carts..

Open it up..What's it look like inside..?EPROMS/Wires..?

Can you take pics?

I can host the pics for you if needed..

Here's some pictures of what bootleg carts boards look like.

http://www.jamma.nl/gallery/album04

Last edited:

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
anyone can help ? I also want to know the reason for the resetting problem.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ckchan said:
anyone can help ? I also want to know the reason for the resetting problem.

As above..
This occurs a lot on bootleg carts....

Open it up..
What's it look like inside..?EPROMS/Wires..?
Original chips..?

Can you take pics?

I can host the pics for you if needed..

What game/s does this happen to you on..?
What Game and what mother board is this occuring on...?

I believe this can happen due to dirty cart connectors/dirty mother board connectors or a mother boards prongs that are worn and spread out to far...

But if it's happening to just one game that's been cleaned and all other games work then it's possible the game is a boot.

Otherwise the game may be bad itself..so it would have to be tested on another mother board etc.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Check the 5 volts at the board, its critical. If even slightly low it can cause intermittent problems.For some reason it is more apparent on some carts more than others.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ttooddddyy said:
Check the 5 volts at the board, its critical. If even slightly low it can cause intermittent problems.For some reason it is more apparent on some carts more than others.

Sweet...

I was waiting for a real tech to come to my rescue/aid...:)

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
ok, i inspected the cart and first off, there was already a minor crease on the label spine, so i'm gonna figure that someone's already opened for one reason or another. i opened the cart and i don't think it's a bootleg, but i did notice what looks to be two manual solders or repairs done post-production, but i could be wrong. i'll post the pics later tonight when i can get hosted.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nash said:
ok, i inspected the cart and first off, there was already a minor crease on the label spine, so i'm gonna figure that someone's already opened for one reason or another. i opened the cart and i don't think it's a bootleg, but i did notice what looks to be two manual solders or repairs done post-production, but i could be wrong. i'll post the pics later tonight when i can get hosted.

Cool..
PM me if you need your pictures hosted at all.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nash's Last Resort Board Pics..

Quote by Nash..
(but i did notice what looks to be two manual solders or repairs done post-production)(Circled below)
lastresort4b.jpg

lastresort2a.jpg

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
so does anyone know what's wrong or if those solders have anything to do with it?

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
I would say that was a repair, everything looks as it should otherwise, since there are no eeproms { windowed rom chip } and no wires , both of which are instant signs of a boot and sometimes a repair.

Easiest way to spot a bootleg cart is to inspect the bottom of the boards and see that all roms are macine sodered ,there are a few games with factory eeproms ,Zupapa and Robo Army each use one ,but overall probably 98% of Neo games do not.

As for the resetting its most likely a low voltage issue ,I would definitly check that first and then go from there. Also a good cleaning of youre motherboard slots and the cart couldnt hurt any.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nash said:
so does anyone know what's wrong or if those solders have anything to do with it?

What MVS board are you playing this on..?1-6 slot?

Does this happen in every slot?

Try cleaning the carts connectors while you have it open like that..
Make sure every part of them is shiny clean..(Super Clean)
I use green (dry) Scotch Brite..to clean the carts connectors..or very fine sand paper..

Try not to push the cart all the way into the mother board whereas it's inserted but not all the way down/in..

The cart looks original to me...

Otherwise,
I'd say your power supply must be to low like ttooddddyy said.....

Providing the cart itself isn't bad..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
candycab said:
I would say that was a repair, everything looks as it should otherwise, since there are no eeproms { windowed rom chip } and no wires , both of which are instant signs of a boot and sometimes a repair.

Easiest way to spot a bootleg cart is to inspect the bottom of the boards and see that all roms are macine sodered ,there are a few games with factory eeproms ,Zupapa and Robo Army each use one ,but overall probably 98% of Neo games do not.

As for the resetting its most likely a low voltage issue ,I would definitly check that first and then go from there. Also a good cleaning of youre motherboard slots and the cart couldnt hurt any.

:) :D We must have been typing at the same time..:D

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
i have an AES with a phantom-1 converter. yeah, i've cleaned the cart thoroughly. maybe the cart is just incompatible with the converter. all my other carts work, though. i'll give it a few more tries and if it still doesn't work, i guess i might have to return it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nash said:
i have an AES with a phantom-1 converter. yeah, i've cleaned the cart thoroughly. maybe the cart is just incompatible with the converter. all my other carts work, though. i'll give it a few more tries and if it still doesn't work, i guess i might have to return it.

Oh,..your using a Phantom 1,hmm..I've never heard of a problem like this occuring with this game but anything is possible..

It could be....just incompatible with the converter..

What we need now is someone with the Phantom 1 & a MVS Last Resort..

That would really suck if the cart is bad..

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
chris1 said:
:) :D We must have been typing at the same time..:D

Lol they say great minds think alike :D

Hmm should be interesting to see the outcome of this problem , Nash have you tried the cart in anyone elses AES or MVS board ? I would definitly try that if you can.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
candycab said:
Lol they say great minds think alike :D

Hmm should be interesting to see the outcome of this problem , Nash have you tried the cart in anyone elses AES or MVS board ? I would definitly try that if you can.

I agree...

Devilman78

Camel Slug
candycab said:

EEPROMS do not have windows.

Electrically Erasable Programable Read Only Memory

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Devilman78 said:
EEPROMS do not have windows.

Electrically Erasable Programable Read Only Memory

EPROM: Erasable programmable read-only memory. A PROM that can be erased by exposure to ultraviolet light.

Ok so I added an extra E .. sue me :D I often do that when talking romz. I really dont see where it matters anyway so long as he understands the differences between the two and what to look for ;)

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
ok, so i took some scotch brite to it and i also anti-dust sprayed the entire board (for good measure) and so far so good. i've gotten to the third level without interruption. i don't know anyone else with any sort of neo geo setup so i can't test it on another system. i'm gonna give it a few more tries this week and hopefully it was just a cleanliness problem. thanks everyone.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
jeez, it ain't the cleanliness. i just tried to play the game just now and it happened again. i'm prett sure it's a bad cart now. this sucks.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nash said:
jeez, it ain't the cleanliness. i just tried to play the game just now and it happened again. i'm prett sure it's a bad cart now. this sucks.

If you got it to work by cleaning it....then I would think this is some kind connection issue..

Somehow or another when this cart is in the phantom 1 it's not gettting the right connection at times..
After you got to the third level did the game just stop..?

Did you take the game out of the phantom 1 and it stopped working when you put it back in..

Try giving the other end a good cleaning..the parts wher the phantom 1 goes in the AES and the AES prongs..

Clean the connections/prongs on the phantom 1

I use a cardboard nail file(fine side) to clean the prongs on the AES....do the same for the phantom 1 prongs.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
when i got to the third level, i turned it off because i had to get to dinner. i left the game (attached to the converter) in the system. when i came back to play again, i just had to flip the switch on. but when i did, the problem came back.