Uni Bios questions thread.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I just got my consolized 2 slot and I have some questions about the Unibios that arent on Razoola's site.

1.) My NGH controllers cant use the select button when I select MVS mode. I thought that they could? When I pick Home mode I can use the select button to switch games and pause the games.

2.)Sometimes when I switch to English and Console mode ShockTroopers 2 will still be in Japanese. Another strange thing with ST2 is that sometimes if I switch to the other game in the slot all of the sound is gone until I go back to ST2 and then back again. Weird.

3.) Is Samurai 4 censored in the Japanese Home setting?

Thanks!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
MilkManX said:
I just got my consolized 2 slot and I have some questions about the Unibios that arent on Razoola's site.

1.) My NGH controllers cant use the select button when I select MVS mode. I thought that they could? When I pick Home mode I can use the select button to switch games and pause the games.

From the UNIBIOS FAQ:

Q: If I'm using a MVS board with the built-in controller ports, can I pause the game when in HOME mode using the SELECT button on the joysticks?

A: Yes (you won't suffer from the issue mentioned on the known issues page either because that only happens when using the coin inputs to pause). When in ARCADE mode this SELECT button will insert coins also as long as your not running on MULTISLOT hardware with more than one game in.

The manual that comes with the Unibios (if you order it from Razoola) mentions this is done so that the select buttons function correctly in MVS mode.

Basically, if you stick in more than 1 game and boot the console up in MVS mode, I don't think you can select the game via the select button or add coins from the controller ports.

I don't have a MVS board with a Unibios handy to confirm this, maybe someone else can?

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Ahhh.

Ok. So I will just leave dip 7 on for freeplay then.

I didnt get the Uni BIos manual with mine*cough*Robert*cough.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
broken said:
Basically, if you stick in more than 1 game and boot the console up in MVS mode, I don't think you can select the game via the select button or add coins from the controller ports.

The select button on a home system controller does select the game on a multi-slot with more than one cart inserted but in that case it obviously won't work as a coin button (as it does with just one cart inserted). So the best thing is to set the board to freeplay.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
MKL said:
The select button on a home system controller does select the game on a multi-slot with more than one cart inserted but in that case it obviously won't work as a coin button (as it does with just one cart inserted). So the best thing is to set the board to freeplay.

Ahh, ok... I didn't have one handy and couldn't remember which way it worked.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I have another question.

Arcade VS-MODE support which is known to be in the version 6 JAPAN bios. Turn this feature on via hard dip 2.

Does this mean Hard Dip 2 on the board?

Anyone tried this yet?

Does this add VS in Samurai IV?

Thanks for your time.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Since Raz is online I am going to post this here maybe he will see it

Are you going to release any psuedo update to the uni-bios to support SVC, SSV, MS5, and KOF 2003 around the end of the year if no official update is ready?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member

Go into the soft DIP settings and make sure that 'game select' is set to Free. You can then use the select button to choose games in MVS mode. You probably got the system currently set up so it can only choose games after a coin is inserted.

(maybe I should add this to the FAQ page but so far I havent because its not related to the UNIVERSE BIOS only)

2.)Sometimes when I switch to English and Console mode ShockTroopers 2 will still be in Japanese. Another strange thing with ST2 is that sometimes if I switch to the other game in the slot all of the sound is gone until I go back to ST2 and then back again. Weird.

This is answered on the known issues page;

When in console mode some games may not use the correct language even though the system is running in the correct region. This situation will happen if the region is changed after the game in question already has data stored in the backup SRAM. Games affected can have the language set manually by going into the games options (most require you to experience 'GAME OVER' before the new settings are permanently saved).

3.) Is Samurai 4 censored in the Japanese Home setting?

Not sure on this sorry.

btw, you really shouldent be buying the universe bios off other people (if you did) unless they are providing it free (with a consolised system for example)

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Are you going to release any psuedo update to the uni-bios to support SVC, SSV, MS5, and KOF 2003 around the end of the year if no official update is ready?

I plan to yes. There is no point to release one now just to release another one after kof2003 and ms5.

I was also thinking of maybe adding an option somewhere where people can have there MVS serial number enbedded into the UNIVERSE BIOS so it displays on screen maybe. Would anyone be intrested in this?

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
MilkManX said:
Ahhh.

Ok. So I will just leave dip 7 on for freeplay then.

You can also remove the other games. If you only have one game in a multislot you can then insert coins using the select button :)

Raz

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Thanks Raz.

I bought a consolized 2 slot and Robert included this with the unit. :glee:

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
When enabling cheats in KoF01 my jap cart running in european mode turns to japanese. This is bad. I want bounce+engrish!! Fuck the kids in africa! THIS IS IMPORTANT AND WE NEED TO DISCUSS THIS RIGHT NOW!!

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
Razoola said:
I plan to yes. There is no point to release one now just to release another one after kof2003 and ms5.

I was also thinking of maybe adding an option somewhere where people can have there MVS serial number enbedded into the UNIVERSE BIOS so it displays on screen maybe. Would anyone be intrested in this?

Raz

Yea thats why I was asking towards the end of the year, with all the games coming out I am sure you got alot of work ahead of you.

That would be a sweet idea for the Serial # to be in the Uni-Bios but I would allow it as an option for the ones that just don't want it in there for whatever reason.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Razoola...

Arcade VS-MODE support which is known to be in the version 6 JAPAN bios. Turn this feature on via hard dip 2.

Raz could you answer this one is there vs mode in jap...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
ok since this topic has already been made,,,,

What exactly do I have to do to put a unibios on a non-socketed one slot board????

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
NOTE for MV-1B and MV-1C owners
These MVS models contain a BIOS that is soldered to the PCB, the chip size is also different than that used in other MVS models. Because of this the MV-1B and MV-1C are not officially supported. However if you were to build an adapter to allow the different chip size to fit or program the UNIVERSE BIOS onto the smaller device type (SOP) and then replace the original BIOS it will work just fine on both these MVS models.

This is from Razoolas site.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Re: Razoola...

thegreathopper said:

Raz could you answer this one is there vs mode in jap...

With the UNIVERSE BIOS v1.2 you can use VS mode in either Japan or Euro regions only (not in usa). This feature only seems to activate on fighters and you can tell its working because you will see coin counters on the bottom left and right of screen when in MVS mode.

As to what it does exactly Im not 100% sure. All I know for sure is that you can start a game from the player 2 side only.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Fluff_Daddy said:
When enabling cheats in KoF01 my jap cart running in european mode turns to japanese. This is bad. I want bounce+engrish!! Fuck the kids in africa! THIS IS IMPORTANT AND WE NEED TO DISCUSS THIS RIGHT NOW!!

I will look into this and see if I can fix it for v1.3 though I cant garantee it.

Raz

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Re: Re: Razoola...

Razoola said:
With the UNIVERSE BIOS v1.2 you can use VS mode in either Japan or Euro regions only (not in usa). This feature only seems to activate on fighters and you can tell its working because you will see coin counters on the bottom left and right of screen when in MVS mode.

As to what it does exactly Im not 100% sure. All I know for sure is that you can start a game from the player 2 side only.

Raz

I do know one thing about it. I turned it on last night and what I had hoped for was actual VS mode where the winner of the last fight could change their Charicter or Team.

That doesnt happen. So I have no idea what it does lol.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member

Raz

I think you just answered the question you can start a 1 player game on the 2 player side.But do you need to switch a hard dip on the board....In the US mode it works with all games not just fighters....