Everyone's support BADLY needed

Yukuridanshi

lurking, ,
Hello everyone. I've been around a while, so many of you know me. For those who don't, my name is Rob Scharr. I'm a first-year graduate student in the Technical Japanese Program at the University of Washington in Seattle.

This is about a book that was published back in December 2001 in Japan by Aspect (Sega's publishing arm). The title of the book is "Game Works" (no relation to Sega's arcade chain), and it is by Yu Suzuki, the man behind all of Sega's major arcade simulators of the 1980's, along with the Virtua Fighter/Shenmue series.

What was this book about? Sit back, relax, and I'll tell you.

The book detailed not only the making of all of Suzuki's major works, but quite a bit of Suzuki's personal life as well. His job is to "inspire people," and he talks about the ways to do that during the better part of the book. Packaged with the book was a Dreamcast GD-ROM containing a compilation of arcade-perfect translation of his first five major games- Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner II, OutRun, and Power Drift. (There is a chapter dedicated to each game in the text).

Around when this book was published, I was living in Japan at that time doing my undergraduate work as an exchange student. I was so moved by the book that I decided that I would translate it, both for my personal Japanese study and in hopes of having the book read by a larger audience at some time in the future.

I finished the project in April of this year, and had been in contact with a couple of folks at Sega of Japan regarding a possible publication of GW in North America. Upon hearing the news and seeing the manuscript, they were very impressed, but told me that a third-party would need to pick up the book, since Sega's publishing arm is not operational outside of Japan. The search for a publisher, however, has been fruitless- perhaps I just haven't looked in the right places.

One candidate for publishing the book is the Smithsonian Press, whom I have recently contacted. One distinction between them and all of the publishing agents I've contacted (none of whom know the first thing about, nor want anything at all to do with anything game-related) is that the Smithsonian Institution itself conferred one of its highest awards on Yu Suzuki- he was awarded the Computer World Smithsonian Award in 1998 for his pioneering work in 3D simulation. Therefore, since the book reflects the collections of the SI, they are willing to at least give the manuscript a look. Even so, nothing is guaranteed as of yet.

Where does everyone here come into this? I know that this is a very dedicated community with a lot of Sega fans present. What I ask of you is that if you even have the slightest respect for what Suzuki has done for the industry, contact Sega of America (or Japan), or your preferred publisher, and tell them that you support this endeavor to bring this book to the states. Those who are in charge of brokering this deal on Sega's behalf include Fumio Goto (Sega of Japan) and Masuhiro Tsukada (Aspect), so they're the key names to remember. And although I'm not at liberty to give out any email messages in this post, do mention these individuals in your correspondance. Another way you can support me is by posting this elsewhere on any other game-related message boards you may frequent. I have urged Sega to aggressively persue a publisher in the States for this book based on support from gamers, and I urgently need your help in conveying that support.

Again, this book is like no other, for it holds gamers in an esteem that no other gaming publication does- Suzuki goes out of his way to make the personal connection with the reader, and realizes that gamers are multi-faceted, multi-talented human beings. This book must be published in the United States.

Thank you for your support.

Robert W. Scharr
Technical Communication, University of Washington

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Sounds like a great cause. Sign me up.

I'm here in Japan, now. What's the name of the book in Japanese? I'd like to see if I can find a copy.

Finally, I've done some translation as well, it's real tough stuff, even for just a page or two. I couldn't possibly imagine doing a whole book. Kudos to you.

‚¨”æ‚ê—l‚Å‚·￾I

Q

qube

I will e-mail SEGA of America asap, as I almost purchased that book a couple of years back, but did not b/c of a complete lack of ability to read it. This is one of the greatest ideas for a localization I have ever heard of. I fully support this effort! Best of luck, and I hope we here can be of some help to you:)

Q-

Yukuridanshi

lurking, ,
Thanks to both of you. Ube, it is a lot of hard work to study Japanese, but once you master it to a reasonable degree, believe me...the rewards are great.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
tsukaesugi said:
Sounds like a great cause. Sign me up.

I'm here in Japan, now. What's the name of the book in Japanese? I'd like to see if I can find a copy.

Finally, I've done some translation as well, it's real tough stuff, even for just a page or two. I couldn't possibly imagine doing a whole book. Kudos to you.

‚¨”æ‚ê—l‚Å‚·￾I

Here's a link for ya, tsukaesugi. I planned on importing it back when it was released, but just never did. No real reason I suppose.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Amix said:
Here's a link for ya, tsukaesugi. I planned on importing it back when it was released, but just never did. No real reason I suppose.

Great, thanks for the link man. As well as the book itself, I'd really like to get my hands on the GD-ROM too!

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
You are one heck of a dedicated person, my hat goes off to you.

Could you, or anyone else, give me the e-mail address(es) of where I'm suppose to send a message to support this?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
So will the gd-rom still be included? Because aracade perfect outrun is not something I'd like to miss. Sounds like a fantastic book.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I bought the book as soon as it came out, imported it through ncs.
The thought of playing outrun was just great as I'm a big fan of outrun
and later became a arcade racer fan because of it.
I was hoping to see a little bit more on shen mue in there but
on the whole I thought it was great with the pictures of the
original cabs and sketches of some of the games.
Personally, I thought it was dissapointing that this was volume I
and a volume II is no where to be found. A book on maybe
Yuji Naka or other SEGA greats would be great too.
In this case of this book I would gladly pay another $50 for a
book like this, even without a game collection.
I'll see what I can do anyways.

Yukuridanshi

lurking, ,
Yeah, I was thinking that too...Volume 2 should either be an extension of Yu Suzuki's work, or another of Sega's movers-and-shakers (like Yuji Naka, or perhaps Noguchi, or even Mizuguchi).
The idea at this point is to support Vol.1 so that there will be a Volume 2.

Remember, Shenmue sold just OK in Japan, but it had a huge following here. I'm confident this book would face the same situation.

Until Volume 2 comes out, if it ever does, I'll be working on my next project, the new VF 10th anniversary book that Aspect is putting out, this month, I believe.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Wow, I don't know what to say, seems like a dream may come true. I always wanted to be able to read the book because I really like Yu Suzuki's work and the dedication that he always put into it.

My respect, Yukuridanshi.

Like rarehero, I bought the book + GD as soon as it came out, mostly because of Out Run and Space Harrier... would be really AWESOME to actually READ the stories behind those games, and it would also add something substantial to the western-hemisphere gaming culture that is highly under-developed compared to Asia/Japan.

So, you have my full support!

geekabilly

Mickey's Coach
I would love to see this book in english.. i was going to get it back in the day just for the Dc disk... put i put it off because i wanted to read the book as well... Have my full backing on this project.. Also i have seen the SF 15th ann. book its very nice more text than pics... not worth getting in the Jap. format but might make for some nice reading if traslated.. best of luck*:glee:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
well, took a little while, but I forwarded my request for SOA to consider this.
I hope others would take the time to email them too.

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
Wow, this must have been a HUGE undertaking. As a Sega fan, I'm extremely impressed and would love to see this come out in the US. I would definitely pick up a copy. You have my support and I hope everything works out.

Edit: Would you suggest that we just ask about the book or refer them to you? If the latter, do you have an e-mail address we should give them?

Last edited:
You've got MegaDrive 20XX's support on this, as that to is a book I never bought simply due to lack of understanding of the Kanji characters. *TALK ABOUT DEDICATION MAN!

:buttrock:

MD20XX