No SS5 endings or story lines in english!!

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
What's wrong with Yuki?! In order to see the endings or cut scenes in the game you must play it with the laguage set to japanese. You do'nt even even get to see the second stage of the final boss level unless it's played with the jap language setting on. How hard would it have been to translate a few lines to 'Engrish' !? If you can read japanese all is well. as for me it's a let down we couldn't even get the terrible kind of engrish in SS2.
Will there be any hope for the homecart to remedy this? SS5 is still a good game with some decent new characters but personally i had hoped for smoother animation and better sound/music. Some new techniques aren't really new, it's just another way to preform old desperation moves from SS4. All this said i would still recommend it to any one who enjoys SS4.
Love the Poppy code!!

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
that really sucks. I hope SNK-P isn't going to let that be the case for the homecart...

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
I have a 4X BIOS on my 4 slot and even when played on the AES setting you still don't get anything unless you change the language in the options menu to japanese.

TB@SNK-Capcom

Quiz Detective
EvilWasabi said:
that really sucks. I hope SNK-P isn't going to let that be the case for the homecart...

I don't think so, if they did that no one would buy the English version, but it was the same with Tekken 4, they didn't release the endings until it came to the home system.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
TB@SNK-Capcom said:
I don't think so, if they did that no one would buy the English version, but it was the same with Tekken 4, they didn't release the endings until it came to the home system.

Yah, but Tekken 4 was a really big release while Samurai Shodown 5 will be small potatoes compared to it. I don't think that the English release will be over 300 copies at the most. I personally won't buy Samurai Shodown 5 unless I can see the endings. That is a major part of the game in my opinion and it wouldn't be a Samurai game without the Engrish in it. :crying:

SSS

neo retired
Just take screenshots of the endings, and have some of our japanese speaking members translate them if possible.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I doubt they'll change anything for the AES release...
That sucks really... :p

But that won't prevent me from getting the game anyway, far from that...

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Yeah, that suck major balls! Hopefully this will not be there for the home users.

GAMEFAN

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Can anyone confirm that there is absolutely NO FATALITIES as well??
WTF is going on?? Is this stuff done just to annoy the fan base?
YUKI is demonstrating prejudice toward everyone who don't speak or read Japanese/Kanji! How can I support something this absurd??
-BB

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
BIG BEAR said:
YUKI is demonstrating prejudice toward everyone who don't speak or read Japanese/Kanji! How can I support something this absurd??
-BB

I feel the same way that you do Big Bear. This sucks major donkey balls. This is very unfair to the English speaking audience. Here is what I would like to say on this issue:

Gentlemen of the forum, I have supported Playmore and I have bought metal Slug 4, Rage of the Dragons, and Matrimelee and I have been satisfied with these releases for the most part. I also plan on getting SNK Vs Capcom shortly after it is released as well. I had plans to get Samurai Shodown 5 because I am a big fan of the series. However, since there is no English text in the game I have decided not to purchase it.

I think that Playmore is shafting the English audience by cutting out large portions (all of it) of the storyline and endings. I don’t know about you but I want to see an ending after I spend a long time trying to beat a game. I don’t want to just fight all the characters in the game only to see the credits roll. If this is going to happen with future releases by Playmore in all fighting games, I don’t plan on buying them. I don’t think that Playmore should call Samurai Shodown 5 an English release if there is no English text in the game. It would be like Playmore taking a Quiz Chibi, putting an English cartridge sticker, insert, and instruction manual on the game and call it an official English release when all the text in the game is still Japanese. That just won’t fly with me and I don’t think that it should fly with you.

One of the things that I liked most about the Samurai series was not just how it played but also the storyline behind it. Sure the translation wasn’t the best but at least I could follow the storyline. I know for a fact that the translation couldn’t cost that much because I knew a guy who paid a Japanese man $100 to translate a 30-minute episode of a Japanese anime series into English. I don’t think that there is about 30 minutes worth of text in Samurai Shodown 5 so it couldn’t cost that much to translate it. Playmore could go to a Japanese university and hire an English professor to do the translation. Virtually all SNK translations of the Samurai series were obviously done by someone who knew little English and I think that Playmore could improve on this. I don’t think that cutting out the English language entirely will help this release in any way. I think that it is a huge mistake on Playmore’s part and I think that this should be fixed for the home release. If this is corrected, I will plan on buying the English release. Thanks for your time.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Looks like I'm gonna have to re-think the SS5 homecart purchase. No endings or story is total bullshit.:oh_no:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
I think that alot of us should be seinding emails to Playmore about this. What total bullshit this is.

Why should we support Playmore if they can't even add a few lines of text for us? Forget it.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
nnn even if there is no plot in english mvs, thatt doesn t mean there won t be for aes...
AES mode from the mvs may have been improved by the time it is released in the true aes form...
that is just too bad for non-japanese speaking mvs carts users :(

PESTILENT

Armored Scrum Object
Snooptalian said:
Looks like I'm gonna have to re-think the SS5 homecart purchase. No endings or story is total bullshit.:oh_no:

Same goes for me also...especially considering what we shell out for Neo games.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I think that we should start a petition about this. The meg count petition worked and I think that this would work also. I for one will not buy this game without an English language option. I think that we are getting the shaft on this deal. We spend $335 per game and Playmore can't even do a simple translation? That is complete crap. I think that we deserve more respect than that. We are the English user base so we should get what we want. I have started a thread in the suggestions forum about this issue. I think that Shawn should start a poll about getting an English option in the home release version of this game. I would do the job myself but I will probably get crap names and bullshit reponses in my petition so I think that it would be best for Shawn to do it. What do you all think on this issue?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Wait one second here. Are you telling me that if you put the MVS cart into a Euro or US board and play the game there are no cut screens or endings at all!?

Can you change the game to Japanese in the Soft Dips, or is the only way to access the endings with a UniBIOS or 4X BIOS chip? Remember, Matrimelee wouldn't play the correct music by default on a US/Euro motherboard, but if you changed the location to Others it played everything fine. If you set the board to Euro and go into the soft dips what are your options? Is language one of them?

-Nick

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
BarfHappy said:
nnn even if there is no plot in english mvs, thatt doesn t mean there won t be for aes...
AES mode from the mvs may have been improved by the time it is released in the true aes form...
that is just too bad for non-japanese speaking mvs carts users :(

Never happen... the game is done and there are other projects to complete... I think it should happen, but we have seen extreme lazyness on the part of SNKP and the Third Parties as of late. I just wouldn't hold my breath that anything was changed. God, I really wish they would fix some of the problems with SvsC before it gets a home cart/mvs cart release... such as Sagat's terrible collision problems :( I know that will never happen either,

-Nick

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
nruva said:
Wait one second here. Are you telling me that if you put the MVS cart into a Euro or US board and play the game there are no cut screens or endings at all!?

Can you change the game to Japanese in the Soft Dips, or is the only way to access the endings with a UniBIOS or 4X BIOS chip? Remember, Matrimelee wouldn't play the correct music by default on a US/Euro motherboard, but if you changed the location to Others it played everything fine. If you set the board to Euro and go into the soft dips what are your options? Is language one of them?

-Nick
I have a euro board myself and if it is the case that you cant access the japanese settings so you get diddly squat of the endings and cut scenes , i wont bother shelling out for the game especially as most of the backdrops are rips too, hardly worth making the game at all for the english market.

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
BIG BEAR said:
-BB

I can't confirm there are no fatalities, but I have'nt been able to do any. There's definately no command prompt for them. The only thing I've found is that the old "suicide" technique is still available. The old characters have the same ones from the previous game. But some of the new characters only surrender. the same animation as their weapon throwing taunt (start X3).

SSS

neo retired
xamot13 said:
I can't confirm there are no fatalities, but I have'nt been able to do any. There's definately no command prompt for them. The only thing I've found is that the old "suicide" technique is still available. The old characters have the same ones from the previous game. But some of the new characters only surrender. the same animation as their weapon throwing taunt (start X3).

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for the MVS cart to drop in price.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm still trying to digest this lunacy! What a slap in the face to go out and purchase a cart and only enjoy 35% of ithe game in english!! Iguess the English release will state 65% less filling!
Here we are in 2004 and this title is being released by a group of racist censorers!!!
Shame on you Yuki! I'll play KOF '94 if I want JUST BLOOD and I can play RB2 for NO STORYLINE...
The nerve of Yuki to rape the old SS archives and release a game with NO SOUL in english mode!
SNKP and affiliates are cutting out and disregarding all the intricacies that made SNK the LEGENDS!! Give me fatalities and storyline and shelling out the 300+ is not a problem because I know I am getting bang for the buck but reducing SS5 to another senseless fighter makes you think twice wheres that was'nt the case in the SNK era
-BB

Last edited:

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
nruva said:

-Nick

When I first set up the cart on my us 4-slot and entered the soft dip the only options were for Country: USA or Others Language: English Spanish Portuguese So I think unless you have a Jap board or UNI-4X bios you have nothing but a credit roll to look forward to after the final battle(which is also different if you don't play it in japanese) Don't qoute me on this 'cause I'm not 100% sure

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
xamot13 said:
When I first set up the cart on my us 4-slot and entered the soft dip the only options were for Country: USA or Others Language: English Spanish Portuguese So I think unless you have a Jap board or UNI-4X bios you have nothing but a credit roll to look forward to after the final battle(which is also different if you don't play it in japanese) Don't qoute me on this 'cause I'm not 100% sure

When you have some time to test it, and if there is a setting called "Others" like in most recent carts, can you set the language to "others" and let us know what happens?

-Nick

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
To make it even worse I've played through the game in japanese(the only way I'll play it now) with several characters and there appears to be a good amount of story going on. Theres a lot of interaction between the different characters. The story mode ties the mid game boss with the second to last boss(sorry, can't think of their names). EX.- After the 4th fight or so one of the selectable characters is thrown on screen(lying down like they've just been beaten)by the mid boss and the 2nd to last boss appears and then a bunch of dialogue occurs. This cut scene is the only way I've been able to see the Mid boss' hand drawn picture(like the ones at the charater select screen). The only damn character I can understand is Poppy!!