Jap/US Neo Geo differences?

funkytooth

n00b
I recently bought a JP Neo Geo AES for ebay, and currently have an MVS cabinet, but I foolishly did not investigate the difference between the Japanese and American versions before buying my system. I've read that you can only get black and white video on US TV's. I was wondering if that was true, and if I need a power converter, and if anyone sells the box that lets you play MVS games in the AES. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Sorry about the newbie questions.

Thanks!

ShiWarrior

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hi

welcome to neo-geo.com

i am new too , so correct me if im wrong

u want a JAP system, as the UK or US AES systems sensorrs everything (bad spelling sorry)
basically if u play US games on a JAP AES, it will be UN CUT :)

if however u had a US system and tryied to run JAP or US games your system would cut bits out. dunno how it works but its very cleaver
basically the system makes the difference NOT the games

hope this helps

G

galfordo

funkytooth said:
I've read that you can only get black and white video on US TV's.

Not true. You shouldn't have any problems with that. If you do, the system is defective.

funkytooth said:

I was wondering if that was true, and if I need a power converter, and if anyone sells the box that lets you play MVS games in the AES. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Sorry about the newbie questions.

Thanks!

You don't need a power converter. The difference between JAP and US sources is negligible for the NGH system. Just plug it in a go - you'll be fine.

And to play MVS games on an AES (NGH) system, you'll need something called a Phantom-1 converter. You'll just have to search around to find one (NGH selling forums, ebay, etc.).

Later games mostly give you the option to change the language/blood settings, but many of the earlier home titles play according to the system's bios (JAP system with JAP bios gives JAP text with blood, english system gives english text w/o blood,etc.). I'd have a debug bios installed (Kenny Boy or J. Kurtz are the two best for installing these). The debug bios will allow you to have almost complete control over your language, blood settings, and a few other cool options such as infinite continues.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new Neo.