Supergun 50/60hz???

RVF400

Host for Orochi
hey guys i am soon gonna take delivery of a lovely minigun with custom scart socket (for my rgb home cinema lead) and was wondering what hz it outputs as i have just bought a matsui 28' flatscreen (non widescreen) which is 50hz only, i don't wanna have borders so does any1 know what hz a supergun outputs?. i am using it with a neo 2-slot.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The hertz thing you're asking has nothing to do with the supergun: it only concerns the boards you're running through the supergun. Most arcade boards (including MVS) are 60Hz so if you're TV is only capable of 50Hz you'll get the black borders and there is nothing you can do.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
ah bollocks!, f*ck,sh*t, damn!, are you 100% sure about this?, its running a MVS, does mean i get the slow down too!, oh man i hate borders!, i just bought a non widescreen for it so i could display full screen too!. anyway i can mod it or maybe mod my t.v!?.:crying:

RVF400

Host for Orochi
:crying:
damn i feel so sad now, need to find a 60hz, 28'+ flat screen 4:3 t.v, its so hard to find in this country coz every1 goes for widescreen now.

norwix

n00b
RVF400 said:
:crying:
damn i feel so sad now, need to find a 60hz, 28'+ flat screen 4:3 t.v, its so hard to find in this country coz every1 goes for widescreen now.
Every euro-TV has 50/60hz support since 1985 aprox :)

RVF400

Host for Orochi
r u sure as my old aes had borders, and the was on my dads Bang & olufson t.v.

norwix

n00b
RVF400 said:
r u sure as my old aes had borders, and the was on my dads Bang & olufson t.v.
Aes Pal version = 50hz, if you want 60hz just try a aes ntsc version or a console with a rgb scart (maybe with a import game too) or you'll get a "good looking" black borders :p :p

RVF400

Host for Orochi
oh yeah my neo aes was u.k! doh!, coz when i play my gamecube games at 60hz it displays fine!, great i feel better now!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I thought that if you tried to hook a 60 hz JAMMA board (as most JAMMA boards are) to a 50 hz only TV, the screen would just roll, and not getting a 50 hz-like image with borders and slowdown...

And not all European TVs are 60 hz compatible, I've met some made after 1990 that are not, and don't accept RGB nor NTSC through the scart socket.

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MKL said:
The hertz thing you're asking has nothing to do with the supergun: it only concerns the boards you're running through the supergun. Most arcade boards (including MVS) are 60Hz so if you're TV is only capable of 50Hz you'll get the black borders and there is nothing you can do.

Running a 60hz PCB on a 50hz-only monitor will give you an unuseable rolling picture, which is worse than black borders.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
I thought that if you tried to hook a 60 hz JAMMA board (as most JAMMA boards are) to a 50 hz only TV, the screen would just roll, and not getting a 50 hz-like image with borders and slowdown...

And not all European TVs are 60 hz compatible, I've met some made after 1990 that are not, and don't accept RGB nor NTSC through the scart socket.
a winner is you. :)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Matt said:
Running a 60hz PCB on a 50hz-only monitor will give you an unuseable rolling picture, which is worse than black borders.

...if the TV has no Vertical Hold adjustment. But I can tell by experience that many old PAL TVs (e.g from 1988-90) actually have an automatic V-Hold adj. feature, so even if the TV is 50Hz only you do get a stable letterboxed picture when you run a 60Hz arcade board...

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
Well if this helps i have a 50HZ TV and it's my Supergun and 1 slot board work fine.I don't think it runs true 50Hz but my Gamecube and Dreamcast did on 60Hz.

It should work completly fine really.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
ok now i am confused!, my dads bang and olufson t.v (1992) cost like 2 grand and it played my jap neo-geo with borders. every1 said it was because its 50hz. i was running it through scart

ShiWarrior

Edo Express Delivery Guy
RVF400,

If your TV can play NTSC / US films or such like, then it will be ok, as NTSC American is 60 Hz, us UKers are 50Hz

hope this helps

RVF400

Host for Orochi
i know my tv will play them, but will my MVS have borders!, i HATE borders!!!

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Only one way to find out!

If you are stuck with borders or a junk picture, surely a cheap used 60hz-compatible TV won't be hard to find.

Arakon

Robert Garcia's Butler
ugh.. the borders come from the system that outputs the signal, not the tv that displays them.

if the TV doesn't support 60 hz at all, you're out of luck, period. scrolling pic.

if you get borders and slowdown, the system is 50 hz, the tv can't slow the system down afterall.

arcade boards for the most part run at 60 hz, no way to change that.

the supergun itself doesn't display anything, it merely connects the video pins from the board straight to the TV.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Arakon said:
if the TV doesn't support 60 hz at all, you're out of luck, period. scrolling pic.

This is not correct for reasons I have already pointed out above.

I have an old Orion TV which is plain 50Hz and when I hook up arcade board to it I get a perfectly stable picture AND the black borders. The same happened on many other TVs I tried over the last 10 years.

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
MKL said:
This is not correct for reasons I have already pointed out above.

I have an old Orion TV which is plain 50Hz and when I hook up arcade board to it I get a perfectly stable picture AND the black borders. The same happened on many other TVs I tried over the last 10 years.

If you get a stable picture, then it would follow that your old TV does actually support 60hz sync after all, no?

The screen size has nothing to do with the sync rate.

ShiWarrior

Edo Express Delivery Guy
corbo 2 said:
Well if this helps i have a 50HZ TV and it's my Supergun and 1 slot board work fine.I don't think it runs true 50Hz but my Gamecube and Dreamcast did on 60Hz.

It should work completly fine really.

O/T : what game is in your sig ? i love scrolling shooters

thanks

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Matt said:
If you get a stable picture, then it would follow that your old TV does actually support 60hz sync after all, no?

The screen size has nothing to do with the sync rate.

Quite apart that it's a 15 year-old low-end TV (I had to wait until 1996 before buying a real 60Hz compatible one), the borders are accompanied by a noticeable slowdown. Also, the size of the bars depends on the boards: they're bigger with 60Hz boards like MVS or CPS2 but they become half as big with 55Hz boards like R-Type and almost unnoticeable with 53Hz Williams/Midway games like Smash TV since that's very close to the native refresh rate of the TV. No, the stable picture is really a matter of V-Hold: I had the opportunity to test a Japanese supergun that has a built-in V-Hold option that if tweaked enough did make the picture start rolling.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
what sort of slowdown are we talking about ?

The slowdown of 50Hz (PAL) TVs running 60Hz devices...