Neo Geo Sticks and port compatbility

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ok I am working on several projects and wondering what sticks work on which ports.

THe sticks:
AES First model
Aes Second Moddel
CD
CDZ

The ports:
AES
MVS (on-board)
Homemade port for MVS using a DB-15 and ground for the common (Pin #1)..

I know that CD and CDZ sticks won't work on the homeade port but what about the MVS and AES ports?

What about the second aes model and hori sticks????

Any help would be most apreciated.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
As you said, all the official stick and controllers will work in all the official systems, AES, MVS on-board ports, CD and CDZ.

About the home made port, if you don't wire +5V to pin 8 then only the old AES stick will work. For the rest of them to work properly (the AES new and the CD one) you need +5V on pin 8.

Look for more info in www.gamesx.com .

arit

n00b
What's wrong with using an New Style Stick on a home made port? I have no problems with it and I even do not have connected +5v on pin 8.

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
arit said:
What's wrong with using an New Style Stick on a home made port? I have no problems with it and I even do not have connected +5v on pin 8.

Oh well, actually I've never owned a new-style controller, I heard they needed the +5V. According to gamesx:

Note![03/14/02] Pin 8 provides +5v to the controller. This is unused in the original stick, but is mandatory for proper use of the pads and new-style sticks.
Note! There used to be an error here claiming the NEO GEO pads + sticks used +5v as a common line. They do NOT, they're the same as every other stick ever made. Be warned however, and this is worth repeating (See above), Pin 8 provides +5v to the controller. This is unused in the original stick, but is mandatory for proper use of the pads and new-style sticks. You may be able to use the new-style stick without +5v for some applications, but the pads will totally refuse to function.

So you are right, they may work, but it wouldn't hurt wiring +5V anyway. Now that I think of it, I tried my NGCD pad in myn supergun without +5V and ony the directions worked, but not the buttons.

Last edited: